Asked to read a book

Bini

A friend of mine is in the process of publishing an eBook and it's supposed to be available online sometime around Christmas - that's what she's hoping for. I got an email from her yesterday trying to promote it. I am more than happy to share links and spread the word but she asked me if I'd be willing to actually read it. In my head I thought, yeh sure no biggie, but then I realised that the likelihood of me really sitting down to read the thing was very unlikely. I've mentioned this before and I'm just not a reader - never have been - and the topic hardly makes a difference, sad to say. How do you respond to that? I thought about buying the book online to support it but that's kind of an empty sentiment when you won't even be reading it and therefore won't be giving any valuable feedback on it. I did ask her what it's about etc., and it's based on things that have happened in her life but she uses fictional characters to depict it, and she notes that it's rather long..

I've been in that position, too. It's hard because I think the majority of people who think they're good writers really aren't at all, and I don't even feel like I can read the books I want to, let alone bad ones.

I've been in that position, too. It's hard because I think the majority of people who think they're good writers really aren't at all, and I don't even feel like I can read the books I want to, let alone bad ones.

I hate to say this but I have read some of her shorts and her, to be nice about it, style of writing has been very difficult for me to get into and appreciate. I'm not sure who her editor is either but I've even found a few obvious typos and errors that I think should have been spotted before release. Besides that, I just don't see myself reading it. We have a good enough relationship that I can be honest with her but I know how much she'd like me to read this one. Ergh.

You don't have to do anything just because someone expects it of you. Just tell her you're not a reader and reading a long book doesn't appeal to you. No other explanation or apology needed.

A friend of mine is in the process of publishing an eBook and it's supposed to be available online sometime around Christmas - that's what she's hoping for. I got an email from her yesterday trying to promote it. I am more than happy to share links and spread the word but she asked me if I'd be willing to actually read it. In my head I thought, yeh sure no biggie, but then I realised that the likelihood of me really sitting down to read the thing was very unlikely. I've mentioned this before and I'm just not a reader - never have been - and the topic hardly makes a difference, sad to say. How do you respond to that? I thought about buying the book online to support it but that's kind of an empty sentiment when you won't even be reading it and therefore won't be giving any valuable feedback on it. I did ask her what it's about etc., and it's based on things that have happened in her life but she uses fictional characters to depict it, and she notes that it's rather long..

If you said you would read it - then read it. It is not likely the greatest sacrifice you will ever do for a friend - unless the friendship with that particular friend is not worth the bother.

One last point - do not offer any real criticism of their writing - they will get plenty of that from many other places - unless of course they wrote something wonderful. If they wrote something wonderful - your criticism would not be wonderful and damaging to your friendship.

The Traveler

Thought to add one more thought. If you read the book; find at least one thing you can use - quote the book in a comment with another friend or at church and tell your friend how useful the thought was. You will make their day.

The Traveler

4500 posts and she calls herself a non-reader. Hmmmmm.

If you don't want to read it, don't as obligatory reading is rarely enjoyable.

Responding to threads doesn't count as 'reading' as in reading a book. And you're telling me, there was a lot of painful reading when I was going through nursing school.