Cool Movie

I recently saw "V for Vendetta." I didn't see it in theaters because the previews looked lame to me.

However, I found that the script was tight and lean, the dialogue was fresh and witty, the cinematography was engaging, and the acting was above average (even Natalie Portman did well, even though she turned in a miserable performance as Princess Amydala (sp?) in the Star Wars prequels...evidence that it was her character, not her acting skills, that stunk in that instance)...

Has anyone else seen this film? Thoughts? I loved it. So much so, that I put it through my pipeline of MacTheRipper, Cinematize, Final Cut Pro, and DVD Studio Pro in order to edit out language and visuals that were offensive...in short, to make it "squeaky clean" as I call it. B)

I'm a big fan of this movie. Saw it in the theaters and bought it on dvd the day it came out. We all joked that Portman getting her head shaved was penance for the star wars movies.

I thought it has some good messages about personal responsibility and just following the majority even though you know what they are doing is wrong. Also great messages on facing your own weaknesses and breaking through the boundaries we set up to hinder ourselves.

Just what i got from the movie lol

We all joked that Portman getting her head shaved was penance for the star wars movies.

Hahahahahaha, ahhhh, that's hilarious! :wow:

I found many interesting things about the movie on wikipedia, notably about the graphic novel the movie was based on. The number "5" is strewn all throughout the movie.

The main character's name "V" is "5" in roman numerals.

He was in cell V.

Evey's name has "e" which is the fifth letter of the alphabet, "v" which is the fifth from the end of the alphabet, and "y" which is written as a "v" in Latin (or so I understand).

At one point, we hear Beethoven's Fifth Symphony which starts with three short notes and a long one, which is morse code for "v" (da-da-da-DUM).

There are lots of others, but all that aside, its an awesome movie. I loved the voice of "V" (the same actor who did Agent Smith in the Matrix and Elrond in LoTR). B)

We all joked that Portman getting her head shaved was penance for the star wars movies.

Hahahahahaha, ahhhh, that's hilarious! :wow:

I found many interesting things about the movie on wikipedia, notably about the graphic novel the movie was based on. The number "5" is strewn all throughout the movie.

The main character's name "V" is "5" in roman numerals.

He was in cell V.

Evey's name has "e" which is the fifth letter of the alphabet, "v" which is the fifth from the end of the alphabet, and "y" which is written as a "v" in Latin (or so I understand).

At one point, we hear Beethoven's Fifth Symphony which starts with three short notes and a long one, which is morse code for "v" (da-da-da-DUM).

There are lots of others, but all that aside, its an awesome movie. I loved the voice of "V" (the same actor who did Agent Smith in the Matrix and Elrond in LoTR). B)

That's interesting, have you compared it with the movie Number 23, that film is centred around the obsession with the no.23 which is found in all sorts of combinations within the movie.

I haven't seen V for Vendetta yet, but was told that it was an interesting film for anarchists.

I did not particularly like it. For one the entire movie is trying to say that conservatives want to make a Nazi like state and that is what the original comic was written about. This movie was timed to hint at Bush so movie goers would draw comparisons.

All that aside, I was just not very impressed with it. But few movies coming out today do I actually like.

Originally the comic's themes were fascism and anarchy.

I did not particularly like it. For one the entire movie is trying to say that conservatives want to make a Nazi like state and that is what the original comic was written about. This movie was timed to hint at Bush so movie goers would draw comparisons.

That was more the choice of Warner Bros. and not the original comic's intent. Here's a comment from the comic's original creator about his opinion of the movie adaptation of his story:

Alan Moore, however, distanced himself from the film, as he has with every screen adaptation of his works to date. He ended cooperation with his publisher, DC Comics, after its corporate parent, Warner Bros., failed to retract statements about Moore's supposed endorsement of the movie. After reading the script, Moore remarked:

"[The movie] has been "turned into a Bush-era parable by people too timid to set a political satire in their own country.... It's a thwarted and frustrated and largely impotent American liberal fantasy of someone with American liberal values standing up against a state run by neoconservatives—which is not what the comic V for Vendetta was about. It was about fascism, it was about anarchy, it was about England."

He later adds that if the Wachowskis had wanted to protest what was going on in America, then they should have used a political narrative that spoke directly at America's issues, similar to what Moore had done before with Britain. The film changes the original message by arguably having changed "V" into a freedom fighter instead of an anarchist. (from wikipedia)

Leave it to Hollywood to see every story through the eyes of the liberal-conspiracy-Michael-Moore-lenses of lunacy. :rolleyes: