Server Colocation... Any Uber Techies Out There?

slamjet

We're to the point where we're going to need to have a server located in a more secure location so I have one questions: Can I have our applications installed on a collocation server or dedicated server or is it only for web-servers? For example, Windows 2008 R2 Server running remote desktop (or terminal service as it used to be called) running our billing, practice management and other apps?

Also, what do I need to be aware of and what questions should I ask?

With colocation, you can theoretically have anything you like on your server. The same is also possible with a dedicated server, although some companies may restrict exactly what it can be used for. It's certainly not only for webservers by any means.

That said, I don't know exactly what is currently on your server or how the applications have been set up. So:

- Bandwidth is something you'll need to take into consideration - if the server is currently on the same physical LAN as all the clients, will the bandwidth be enough to serve the clients when its running over the internet?

- Application settings. If server is currently on the same LAN as the clients, does the application allow clients to connect to a public IP as opposed to a private IP? If not, will VPN be required to work around this?

- Encryption. If you're not going to use VPN, what is going to encrypt the data between the server and client? Does the application do it?

- Firewall. Are you expected to provide one for your own server, or do they provide one for you? If the latter, how long does it take to get them to modify these firewall settings when you need them to?

- Billing: Many datacentres charge for the amount of RU's the server takes up. If you can use a smaller server, it'll probably be cheaper.

- Physical access to the server. What happens in the event of hardware or OS failure? How quickly are you allowed to get access to it to repair it?

- Backups. How do these currently work? Where are they backing up to? Will this still be feasible when the server is moved, with the changes in bandwidth? You certainly don't want them stored on the same system as the live data. You mention that you are moving the server for security reasons, does that mean the system the backups are located on would have to be moved to a secure datacentre also?

Edited by Mahone

The server is to run out practice management software so it's going to be RDP. I think I'm settling on collocation with purchasing a refurb 1u unit. It seems there's one outfit (Collocation America) that would charge reasonably for 1u of space and will give me 24/7 physical access to my system. From what I've been able to dig up, they're good to work with. I also think we're well within the bandwidth limit. It's only 5 users over RDP so how much can that be.

The only issue is $$$. It's tax time so we're going to have to really scrape it together.

The server is to run out practice management software so it's going to be RDP. I think I'm settling on collocation with purchasing a refurb 1u unit. It seems there's one outfit (Collocation America) that would charge reasonably for 1u of space and will give me 24/7 physical access to my system. From what I've been able to dig up, they're good to work with. I also think we're well within the bandwidth limit. It's only 5 users over RDP so how much can that be.

The only issue is $$$. It's tax time so we're going to have to really scrape it together.

RDP in and of itself doesn't take up much bandwidth.

What about backups? How are they being performed currently?

It's definitely worth getting a server with basic redundancy built in as well such as a RAID card and dual PSU. Reduces like likelyhood of you having to make emergency visits at 3am to replace failed components!

Edited by Mahone

Backups? We don't need no stinking backups! Actually, they're not off-site which yes, it worries us. What also worries us is if I get run down (which is not out of the question in my town) then the business is out of luck. Besides, I just talked to my boss and she's on board. We'll need to get into this asap.

The only thing now is new or refurb. This stuff is really expensive. Definitely going to do at least a RAID 1. Redundant power supply is going to have to be an option.

Backups? We don't need no stinking backups! Actually, they're not off-site which yes, it worries us. What also worries us is if I get run down (which is not out of the question in my town) then the business is out of luck. Besides, I just talked to my boss and she's on board. We'll need to get into this asap.

You might want to consider how you're going to get offsite backups before spending $$$ on colocation. Maybe an old server with FreeNAS installed, located somewhere in your office and connected to the live server via VPN? This FreeNAS server can hold regular automated encrypted backup copies of your data. That said, how big are your backups? Will this cost you a lot in bandwidth once your live server is colocated?

As for getting run down - make a disaster recovery document for the business IT infrastructure - these documents are supposed to provide detailed technical information, including passwords and encryption keys, explaining how everything was set up, and how to recover from any feasible disaster scenario. That way, in the event of both the server and you dying on the same day, the company can hire a technician for a few hours to go over your DR document and get everything back up and running again. Obviously this document needs to be kept in a secure fire proof safe, as it's highly confidential.

The only thing now is new or refurb. This stuff is really expensive. Definitely going to do at least a RAID 1. Redundant power supply is going to have to be an option.

As long as you get a reasonable warranty on a refurb, I don't see any reason not to use one if the saving is enough to make it worth it.

Edited by Mahone

Well, we pulled the trigger. We just purchased a refurb 1U Dell C1100 from Amazon Marketplace (Deep Discount Servers). We also decided to go with colocationamerica.com to host our server.

Specs: 1U, 2X Xeon Quad Core L5520 2.26GHz, 1X 250GB, 72GB DDR3 RAM, NO OS (no problem, I'm going to install Win2008 R2 Standard Server). I also purchased two 500GB WD Re4 hard drives to use in Raid 1. I'll keep the 250 GB for other not-so-critical stuff.

I already have an old Dell Optiplex set up with FreeNAS so now it will get some use. I didn't know about the Disaster Recovery documents, thanks for that. I'm going to put one together and give it to my boss. Her account runs as administrator (she's very good about it, doesn't even touch any of the config stuff) so if it all goes wrong, she can give them her login but to "officially" document the system would be very useful.