17 Miracles for a non member.

CommanderSouth

I picked up 17 miracles from Netflix and have been mulling about showing it to my non member parents. Ephraim's Rescue I think did a lot of good showing the power of God being in the church, I say this as my Mom commented on it,saying we used to be closer to God, or something like that.

The thing I can't figure out though is if I should show the this one, especially given Richards and Willie's rebuke of Levi Savage, and then him being "vindicated" by so much hardship.

I don't want to do more harm than good, but the miracles we pretty stirring, and that could be good, but I don't know if the tradeoff of blasting someone for disobedience is worth it.

What do you all think?

Thanks!

Suzie may correct me, but my recollection is that the accounts for a couple of the miraculous incidents recounted in that movie are unreliable for a variety of reasons. My opinion is that when relating Church history to non-Mormons our facts must be above reproach; and that would be my primary concern with showing the movie to anyone. (Incidentally: it is known that some Mormon Battalion veterans were with Kearney when he cleaned up the Donner campsite and buried the corpses, but I don't believe we have any hard evidence that Savage himself was one of them.)

Suzie may correct me, but my recollection is that the accounts for a couple of the miraculous incidents recounted in that movie are unreliable for a variety of reasons. My opinion is that when relating Church history to non-Mormons our facts must be above reproach; and that would be my primary concern with showing the movie to anyone. (Incidentally: it is known that some Mormon Battalion veterans were with Kearney when he cleaned up the Donner campsite and buried the corpses, but I don't believe we have any hard evidence that Savage himself was one of them.)

I don't think that they would dig too deep into the history of it, so if there were liberties with details like the Donner party then that wouldn't be problematic. If some of the miracles are tenuous, then I am still in the clear, as I can say "we THINK" this happened, but this DEFINITELY happened" and get away with it.

Thankfully for me, my parents are older and not inclined to dig this stuff up :)

And honestly, between Mountain Meadows, Polygamy and whatnot, I don't think this would hurt much.

My primary concern is one of their reaction to criticism against "blind" faith.

I do think Willie's explanation of not being able to stay would have been enough if Richards hadn't came up and blasted Levi as well, because for that I have no answer...

Levi Savage was one of 100 or so Mormon Battalion veterans strung out days apart traveling. But as you mention JAG, there is nothing that states he was part of the group that disposed of the Donner remains.

You can see this on net flex Ephraim's Rescue ? Wow I wanted to see this but living in fla. It didn't come to our area movies. Or is the movie 17 miracles? I'm going to ask a friend of mine who has net flix if I could watch it. I'm sure I will be able too. As far as miracles go. People of all faiths have the right to miracles, even those with no faith get miracles. Some times we don't notice the miracle, but it's still there.

And honestly, between Mountain Meadows, Polygamy and whatnot, I don't think this would hurt much.

My primary concern is one of their reaction to criticism against "blind" faith.

I do think Willie's explanation of not being able to stay would have been enough if Richards hadn't came up and blasted Levi as well, because for that I have no answer...

the LDS church has the least violent history and gets the most flak for it...how bizarre