Going on a mission as an older convert

lm0913

I was recently baptized (as in just a few weeks ago), but I feel I am already getting a strong calling to serve a mission. I'm not sure if it's just me and the excitement of converting and wanting to share my experience with others, but I'm going to pray about it.

A couple questions..

I know I have to wait a year before being allowed to go on a mission. Does this mean I can't apply for a year, or can I apply earlier than that to receive my calling in a year?

Also, I am 22. By the time I receive my hypothetical calling, I will be 23. Is there an upper age limit for girls to go on a mission? Or generally frowned upon?

I know I have a lot to do and a while to think about it, but I want to be well informed as I pray about it :)

To begin the process, talk to your bishop. He'll decide if you have to wait the full year before submitting papers, or if there's a "grace period" before hand.

For sisters, I don't believe there is any upper age limit... as long as you are in physical shape to do the work.

Have you considered obtaining your Patriarchal Blessing? I would highly recommend that if you haven't done so. Talk to your Bishop about that too.

I'd also recommend finding out when you can go to the temple to do baptisms for the dead. This would be a wonderful time to experience the temple and do some work for them. You don't have to wait a year to get a limited-use recommend for this particular purpose.

Welcome to the fold! :)

I was recently baptized (as in just a few weeks ago), but I feel I am already getting a strong calling to serve a mission. I'm not sure if it's just me and the excitement of converting and wanting to share my experience with others, but I'm going to pray about it.

A couple questions..

I know I have to wait a year before being allowed to go on a mission. Does this mean I can't apply for a year, or can I apply earlier than that to receive my calling in a year?

Also, I am 22. By the time I receive my hypothetical calling, I will be 23. Is there an upper age limit for girls to go on a mission? Or generally frowned upon?

I know I have a lot to do and a while to think about it, but I want to be well informed as I pray about it :)

Hope all works out for you and you get the oppurtunity to serve.

• 4 weeks later...

Does this mean I can't apply for a year, or can I apply earlier than that to receive my calling in a year?

As mentioned, the Bishop is the best resource for your questions.

I do want to say that I served with a companion on my mission who was "older" and a recent convert. He was 25 at the time we were paired together.

He was an AMAZING missionary and I learned so much from him and from his fresh perspective on the gospel. He was very efficient and could connect and relate with people in a way I couldn't.

Just him bearing his testimony in the ward got everyone fired up and we got referrals based on that.

No upper age limit for sisters. Upper age limit for elders is 25 or 26. You can probably start the paperwork process within 3 months before hitting your one-year mark. But as other have said, talk to your bishop about it now. He can help keep tabs on timing with you. He can make arrangements for you to take a temple prep class in Sunday School. He can be a great resource for you. Do you have sister missionaries in your area? If not in your own ward, how about a neighboring ward? If you can, go out visiting with them! It will be a great and helpful experience.

Welcome to the Church, too!