Helping kids serve the family - what are your ideas?

notquiteperfect

I've been racking my brain, googling, searching and it's time to ask for help. Though I've come up with some ideas, I need more and hope you'll share. What are some things kids ages 8-12 can do to serve the following:

Grandparents (think out-of-state)

Mom

Dad

Brother/s

Sister/s

Other/General

What are some things kids have done for you that you've appreciated? What are some things you would have liked? I'd like a mix of open and secret, quick and not, etc. so don't be shy. Thanks so much!

How do you mean "serve?" Do you mean you want your kids to do something that will enrich the lives of these people, or are you looking for a specific "project?" If it's the former, grandparents (and aunts/uncles/other out-of-state relatives) would be just tickled to receive a handwritten note in the mail from a child. This also doubles as a great Sunday activity for bored kids.

8-12 yos can mow the lawn, weed, paint walls, do housework, etc.

They can read to someone. They can visit.

8-12 yos have the ability to do just about anything as long as they are willing to learn how.

When I was about 7 or 8, my grandmother had fallen and broke her hip. She had surgery. My Dad and my aunt were worried about her being alone. She also needed help standing up from a sitting position. There was no one else so I was taught how to use a phone that couldn't be dialed. This was back in the 60s and while rotary phones were common, but the Belvedere Apartments in SLC had an operator. So you picked up the phone and gave her the exchange and 4-digit number. I knew how to dial a phone but I didn't know how to tell an operator what number. So I learned. I spent the night with my grandmother. I helped her up to the bathroom during the night. And I helped get breakfast in the morning. We also visited and I learned wonderful things about my Grandmother.

It was a wonderful experience that I'll never forget. Its also an experience that a child would not get in today's world.

Children are more capable than we give them credit for. :)