God Can Do Anything!

Cal

Originally posted by Tr2@Mar 28 2004, 09:11 AM

This is a faith destroying argument because this will get people questioning God because they don't understand something. You either believe God's ways aren't your ways or you think his ways are wrong. There really isn't much else in between. I'm not so full of pride that I think God shouldn't do something I don't agree with.

Questioning does not necessarily mean faith is destroyed, it may increase faith. It depends on your intent.

Originally posted by Cal@Mar 28 2004, 09:51 AM

Snow--the references to the "flood" and Grand Canyon are in relation to interpretations of the Bible I often hear in SS and from scriptural literalists who insist that the earth was "baptized" by being completely immersed in water, and that the earth is literally some few thousand years old. I realize that you and many other mormons (or christians for that matter) take the scriptures more symbolically, or that they are just wrong in these areas, but my posting was a "poke" at the literalists.

I get that but I don't know that a literal interpretation or the Bible requires you to think that the earth is 6000 years old, just that man is 6000 years old.

A nice thing about being Mormon is that you can believe anything you want. But, even if you want to believe what seems like the orthodox Mormon position - you don't have to believe that the earth was flooded like a lake miles and miles deep all over the world - you can think of it as a ritual and symbolic baptism that may have been something like world wide rain and mist so thick that for a brief moment, the world was essentially immersed.

Sorry, wrong point entirely

Snow, get lost! I don't feel like dealing with your elitism today.

Questioning does not necessarily mean faith is destroyed, it may increase faith. It depends on your intent.

Behunin, I've been down this road before. This discussion does not increase faith in any way, according to my experiences. You either believe fully or you don't. One minute you are a bible believing Christian, the next you are a bitter, hateful person who hates anything related to orthodox Christianity.

Originally posted by Tr2@Mar 28 2004, 02:01 PM

Behunin, I've been down this road before. This discussion does not increase faith in any way, according to my experiences. You either believe fully or you don't. One minute you are a bible believing Christian, the next you are a bitter, hateful person who hates anything related to orthodox Christianity.

You obviously do not know me. There is only one person in this whole world I hate, and it is not you or anyone else on this message board. You have judged me incorrectly. I believe that what you are doing in the above post is called projection. I am just trying to contribute to this message board, like others here, my opinion. You however, seem to have the need to insult me and others. Why can't you just disagree with me instead of insulting me? If your experience brings you to your opinion, then do not discredit my experiences which have brought me to my opinions. Please keep your insults to yourself.

We are what we choose to be. We are what we think. God gives us the tools; it is up to us to use them. React to the faults of others as kindly as you do with your own faults.

Originally posted by Cal@Mar 28 2004, 09:51 AM

Snow--the references to the "flood" and Grand Canyon are in relation to interpretations of the Bible I often hear in SS and from scriptural literalists who insist that the earth was "baptized" by being completely immersed in water, and that the earth is literally some few thousand years old. I realize that you and many other mormons (or christians for that matter) take the scriptures more symbolically, or that they are just wrong in these areas, but my posting was a "poke" at the literalists.

I get that but I don't know that a literal interpretation or the Bible requires you to think that the earth is 6000 years old, just that man is 6000 years old.

Hi there!

Well, were they literal 24-hour days in the creation account?

A nice thing about being Mormon is that you can believe anything you want.

really?

~serapha~

Serapha,

If we ever get onto our Bible inerrancy discussion, I will agree that the creation account is symbolic and metaphorical in many aspects. I don't know what "day" means exactly and I don't think that man was literally formed out of dust or Eve out of a rib. Whether or not the creation accounts are internally consistent is another matter.

...and yes, as a Mormon you can believe whatever you want. There is no test of heterodoxy and no penalty for heresy.

Now, behavior is a different deal, apostacy is not permitted and if you heresy leads you to behavior that is harmful to the Church, then there are consequences.

Originally posted by Snow@Mar 28 2004, 11:10 PM

Serapha,

If we ever get onto our Bible inerrancy discussion, I will agree that the creation account is symbolic and metaphorical in many aspects. I don't know what "day" means exactly and I don't think that man was literally formed out of dust or Eve out of a rib. Whether or not the creation accounts are internally consistent is another matter.

...and yes, as a Mormon you can believe whatever you want. There is no test of heterodoxy and no penalty for heresy.

Now, behavior is a different deal, apostacy is not permitted and if you heresy leads you to behavior that is harmful to the Church, then there are consequences.

Snow, I heartily agree with the first part of your post regarding the creation account.

But...

I am not sure I agree with your statement that you can believe whatever you want as an LDS. At baptism and temple recommend interviews you do have to state your belief in many LDS doctrines. To even become a Mormon you need to have some basic beliefs like in God, Jesus Christ, the atonement, the restoration, BoM and prophets, or do I not remember my interview correctly? Unless, you are suggesting that you keep hush,hush about any heresy and simply quote the party line to any who ask [don't ask, don't tell]? But is that truly being Christian?

Interested in your thoughts. Great discussion btw!

Guest Starsky

I think what Snow is saying, is that we can believe in prophets, Christ, atonement....all the stuff you listed, in differing degrees and with DIFFERENT UNDERSTANDINGS of the same.

For instance....I can believe that the prophet is called of God, to lead this church..and proclaim the doctrines of the gospel to all the world, but I don't have to believe he is the only prophet on the earth....exclusively...

.......because the Church also teaches that being a prophet means one having the 'gift of prophecy'.....which is a spiritual gift which comes through the Holy Ghost...and not just callings...

Snow is also probably referring to the different levels of commitment ....like TBM, Fringer, Social Mormon....etc...

They all have there own level of belief and ways they accomadate their membership through that level.

Some struggle with where they are....others don't care.