It Is Okay To Call Ourselves Mormon

MaidservantX

I try to call people whatever they want. For example, I'm "pro-life," and do not appreciate being called "anti-choice." By the same token, I will respectuflly call those on the other side "pro-choice."

Within a religious context, it gets difficult. Baptists (especially Southern) insist their churches are not "Protestant." They never "protested" the Catholic church, and tie their roots back to John the Baptist. It's an interesting distinction, and may have historic merit. However, most people understand "Protestants" to be "Non-Catholic Christians." Indeed, within many corrections systems, they are conflated under the Protestant category.

Likewise, most non-LDS understand that your church does not worship Mormon. We know you share with the rest of Christianity the same characters and Scripture, but have some unique understandings--and that Mormon played a role in those distinctives.

I will use the "LDS" tag, since I am aware of the preference. However, once again, corrections systems will still use "Mormon," and the general public will indeed more easily find mormon.org than lds.org.

It's taken me about 20 years, but "African-American" now rolls off my tongue more easily than "Black." So, there's hope.

lol the funny thing is that black people dont like being called african american. think about it would you like being called european american? or would you prefer being called white? people who think black people dont like being called black most likely dont know very many black people and think black people are ashamed of their own skin color and dont want to be called black.

Newbert, I accept that you may know "black" people who prefer to be called "black." However, in public settings, this community has repeatedly requested to be referred to as African-American. I believe the rationale is that they would rather celebrate their culture and heritage than their skin color. Nobody I know of argues that "African-Americans" are ashamed of their skin color.

I don't mind the word "Mormon" as much as I do the phrase "Mormonism". For some reason that I can't explain that word just gets under my skin, and yet I have no problems with the phrase "Mormon Theology".

I know. I'm weird.

Guest Yediyd

I got called a stupid Mormon tonight!! And the older gentleman that I was with got called a little Mormon grandad...

...we were at the Hill Cumora Pageant...just arriving. Had to walk past all those "good Christians" who were so worried about our souls!!! :P

I smiled at them and just kept walking. -_-

I got called a stupid Mormon tonight!! And the older gentleman that I was with got called a little Mormon grandad...

...we were at the Hill Cumora Pageant...just arriving. Had to walk past all those "good Christians" who were so worried about our souls!!! :P

Wait...were you called a "stupid Mormon," a stupid "Mormon," or a "stupid" Mormon"? :P

I have a funny story. Thirtymumble years ago, we had a convert give a talk on how we shouldn't call ourselves "Mormons." I swear, people gasped! It was unthinkable for him to say such a thing!

Really, he was soon set straight. I remember thinking he was out of line. Now I think he was very brave, and very right.

Elphaba

Guest Yediyd
<div class='quotemain'>

Wait...were you called a "stupid Mormon," a stupid "Mormon," or a "stupid" Mormon"? :P

I have a funny story. Thirtymumble years ago, we had a convert give a talk on how we shouldn't call ourselves "Mormons." I swear, people gasped! It was unthinkable for him to say such a thing!

Really, he was soon set straight. I remember thinking he was out of line. Now I think he was very brave, and very right.

Elphaba I didn't pay attention to where they put the emphasis...they were using bullhorns....I just said to my companions..."Another FINE example of Christ's love!!!" :rolleyes: These hate mongers were calling US non-Christian...we were not accosting them, or calling THEM names!!! :wacko:

...Never ceases to amaze me!! Just what exactly did they think they were accomplishing? You catch more flies with honey than vinegar...insulting us was NO WAY to convert us!!!!

...But WE are the ones who are called non-Christians!!!!

...OK...deep breath...I'm better now... :sparklygrin:

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>

Elphaba I didn't pay attention to where they put the emphasis...they were using bullhorns....I just said to my companions..."Another FINE example of Christ's love!!!" :rolleyes: These hate mongers were calling US non-Christian...we were not accosting them, or calling THEM names!!! :wacko:

...Never ceases to amaze me!! Just what exactly did they think they were accomplishing? You catch more flies with honey than vinegar...insulting us was NO WAY to convert us!!!!

Bullhorns???

Are they like the idiots outside of Tempe Square at Conference?

I don't get it, either. They're whackos.

Elphie

Why would it be a bad thing to be called a mormon? It is the name of a very important person to tTHE CHURCH. He is represented on the tops of all the temples! He was a very righteous dude!

Actually, Bizabra, it is MORONI, not MORMON, that is atop every temple.

Just wanted to clarify that...

Guest Yediyd
<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>

Bullhorns???

Are they like the idiots outside of Tempe Square at Conference?

I don't get it, either. They're whackos.

Elphie Never been to Temple square, but yeah...they are obnoxious...big signs, bullhorns and in your face!! They position themselves at the exits so you HAVE to walk past them to get into the pageant!!!

<div class='quotemain'>

Why would it be a bad thing to be called a mormon? It is the name of a very important person to tTHE CHURCH. He is represented on the tops of all the temples! He was a very righteous dude!

It is the Angel Moroni that sits atop nearly all of the Temples, not Mormon. :lol:

QUOTE(bizabra @ Jul 3 2007, 11:17 AM)

QUOTE sixpakter=Actually, Bizabra, it is MORONI, not MORMON, that is atop every temple.

Just wanted to clarify that...

Hello - I stated that also, guess it got lost in the translation.

Guest Yediyd

I was going to post a "tangental" response to the whole bullhorn thing...but will start a new post, instead. Look for the "Anti" Sinner thread. (hmmmmmm??????)

Somehow, PC...I can't picture you out there with those ideots...they are beligerant and mean spirited...you do not present yourself that way up here...guys like that can't change their spots....

Guest bizabra

<div class='quotemain'>

It is the Angel Moroni that sits atop nearly all of the Temples, not Mormon. :lol:

BIZ: Duh! Oops! :blush: