Plastic Airplane

Dr T

Guest the_big_picture

I wonder how the research on all-paper airplanes is going.

There are air planes made out of Wood, they work fine. I belive th eplastic airplanes will do fine as well.

They wont ment or break on landing as I know many of you would give a thought to.

<div class='quotemain'>

I wonder how the research on all-paper airplanes is going.

There are air planes made out of Wood, they work fine. I belive th eplastic airplanes will do fine as well.

They wont ment or break on landing as I know many of you would give a thought to.

LOL :D:blink: B)

Is it really plastic tho?

See here for construction details...I know it's only Wikipedia, but sometimes their info is correct! :)

Construction materials (by weight): 50% composite, 20% aluminum, 15% titanium, 10% steel, 5% other. Composite materials are significantly lighter and stronger than traditional aircraft materials, making the 787 a very light aircraft for its capabilities. By volume, the 787 will be 80% composite. This will allow the potential to take off from, and land on, relatively short airstrips as the 767 can, yet still have the capability to fly long-haul distances.[30]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_787

Boeing has an airliner made mostly of plastic. I wonder how that will do over time.

See here

My company is making most of the steering and elevation controls for that plane. It is going like crazy...

Don't think it is like your plastic water bottle. There are plastics that are as good as steel and much lighter...

I figured. I mean look at Legos. They last forever. Only joking. Thank you for the info Six.

Except when I step on them in the middle of the night and then microwave everyone of them into a little blob of plastic (okay, that's a fantasy, but I hate those things).

Legoland was very cool the first time I saw it. I've been back again and they are getting weathered. When you wrote that I thought, "You put the in the microwave?" I wondered what it would look like. Prob. bad for the environment but I'm interested.

Legoland was very cool the first time I saw it. I've been back again and they are getting weathered. When you wrote that I thought, "You put the in the microwave?" I wondered what it would look like. Prob. bad for the environment but I'm interested.

I went ot Legoland as a kid, when my dad was stationed in Germany. I thought it was kool, but I now hate the little things. I got rid of the ones my kids had when I found out they were shooting them at each other and other kids at mutual during church parking lot wars instead of going to scouts or combined activities.

Regarding the microwave bit, it smells horribly and makes everything taste funny afterwards. I didn't do it as an adult (no matter how much I wanted to), but when I was a kid torturing one of my little brothers. I know they are educational tools, but man they hurt horribly when stepped on.

Aaron the Ogre