Pressure Cookers

Str8Shooter

• 2 weeks later...

I bought an electric pressure cooker before Christmas.  I love it. I can do veg only as well as meats for my son. I love that I can come home from work, throw stuff in it, go change my clothes, etc and not worry about it until it's ready. No standing around stirring, etc.  there are a number of FB pages for pressure cookers, just find the one that suits your needs. There are also PC videos on YouTube. It may be worth it to look around and not worry about the brand, just look at the videos and see what they can do.

Rice cookers are different from Pressure Cookers.  One doesn't replace the other in my opinion, so it's better to have both.  Rice cookers are super cheap.  I just bought one for $15 at Walmart not too long ago.

Cooking rice in a rice cooker - set it and forget it.  All you need is the proper ratio of rice and water and it's pretty difficult to mess it up.  That's what you get out of it.  You can't do that in a pressure cooker.  It takes practice to get rice to come out of a pressure cooker without getting gummy.  You can't set it and forget it in a stove top pressure cooker but even with the electric ones, it takes finagling and testing to get rice to cook correctly with the timer.

Of course, there are lots of things you can do with a pressure cooker that you can't do with a rice cooker.

So, if your purpose is to cook rice... get a rice cooker.

My first rice cooker was one from Japan. Hubby got it from his grandparents (they are Japanese). They translated the instruction manual and the cook book for me. 

For about 5 years that and an electric skillet is all I had to cook with. That and the small casserole dishes w/lids  (holds one 16 oz. bag of frozen veggies) that I got at thrift stores. I not only cooked rice in it, but cooked the frozen veggies, even steamed potatoes, carrots, fresh veggies. Baked/steamed puddings, Boston brown bread, other breads. I would cook the rice, remove & put it in an aluminum pan, clean the cooker than cook the veggies, then re-heat the cooked meat. It was a large cooker, 12 cups of cooked rice. 

Didn't have a stove (range & oven) no place to put a counter top electric oven/toaster. 

When I was in school, my best friend's mother cooked EVERY thing is a presser cooker. Her husband had no teeth and if she ground the food up he would have one nasty, physical fit. So, pressure cookers to me equal super soft foods, or canned foods, Soft bleah. Canned, okay.