Why did you return to church after an absence.

Sunday21

Have you returned to church after an absence? Why did you come back?

I left the church for many years. I returned after taking a trip with a Mormon friend. He insisted that the church was true and reminded me that I once believed in the church. I thought about what he said and I wondered if the church was true. I prayed and asked to know if the church was true, I sincerely wanted to know, and suddenly I did know.

I've returned to the church after a long absence.  I drifted way from the church because worldly distractions got in the way and it was easier to stay away once I stopped attending, I used to hide when ever I saw members that I knew!  I began to think about returning to the church in 2006 after a motorcycle accident, I saw an advert for the church on the TV and called up, the missionaries came round and over a period of time I began to attend church again.  It has been a struggle as in the intervening years I married and had kids, my wife is not supportive of my involvement with the church and was very anti-LDS to begin with.  Now its easier but she still isn't happy about my membership.  We are working through it. 

I guess that I've always know the church is true, and have always had a testimony of the church from when I first investigated all those years ago. I've attended another church whilst away, I met my wife when I was attending a Baptist church, I also went to Bible college as I felt drawn to ordained ministry.  I enjoyed the whole experience but there was always a nagging doubt in the back of my mind that something wasn't right.  In the 3rd year of bible college during a class on other faiths a couple of LDS missionaries were invited in to share with the class, the class didn't show much Christian charity to them and I knew then that maybe this was the wrong road for me.  I did go and work in a local Baptist church for a while but found that many of the so called Christians were not very Christian in their attitudes or behaviour so I resigned and turned my back on the Baptist church.  I guess that was when I began my road back to the church, but even then it was a few years before I actively did anything about it.

Funny thing was I've only ever seen an advert on TV for the Church that one time, never seen one since!  I guess Heavenly Father works in mysterious ways and that short TV spot was enough to motivate me to get in touch with the missionaries and eventually return to church.

Edited by Latter Days Guy