Ukraine: Lenin out, Vader in

Ironhold

News reports coming from the Ukraine indicate that the city of Odessa has decided to convert a statue of Lenin into a statue of Darth Vader.

Not only does this keep the city in compliance with a new law that requires the removal of Soviet-era imagery, it also honors the fact that the film franchise is popular in the country.

I can already see the tourist dollars rolling in now as people come to see the site.

News reports coming from the Ukraine indicate that the city of Odessa has decided to convert a statue of Lenin into a statue of Darth Vader.

Not only does this keep the city in compliance with a new law that requires the removal of Soviet-era imagery, it also honors the fact that the film franchise is popular in the country.

I can already see the tourist dollars rolling in now as people come to see the site.

Not that I celebrate communism, but they should put it in a museum. We learn through our history, it's important, sometimes all that is left is the scattered artifacts. [haven't read the article yet]

[i've read it now]

Oh cool, actually I find it incredible symbolic how the Lenin statue (Lenin, who likely has good intentions at heart at least,....at least compared to Stalin...) Transforms into Darth Vader. Much like Anakin turned to the Dark side of force. Good idea, I like it. LOTS. Should include a plaque stating what it was before, and maybe why they changed it too.

Edited by Crypto

Not that I celebrate communism, but they should put it in a museum. We learn through our history, it's important, sometimes all that is left is the scattered artifacts. ...

I agree with you about the value of preserving history. Just yesterday a friend showed me photos of Angkor Wat in Cambodia where she had just returned from vacation. The photos reminded me of the Khmer Rouge' destruction of so much culture there, and of course religious extremists destroying ancient artifacts in other world places. Sometimes I ponder how much music, art, and documents have been lost over the centuries--a sad shame.