...each diocese has a number of so-called "suffragan" bishops who attend to the daily grind of bishoping. (Sometimes they have notional "sees"; for example the Bishop of Kingston is a suffragan to the diocesan Bishop of Southwark, but others are regular parish priests authorized to "step in" as bishops when the need arises.) Possibly they could be compared with a Stake President's counsellors - but I'm not sure about that

That's an interesting parallel.  Yes, a lot of similarities.

The stake president has two counselors and there is also a "high council" of twelve men who also act as stake representatives to each of the wards.  They might be a more accurate parallel.

"Then how there are certain areas in America where the missionaries can't go.  Where it is too dangerous and corrupt.  And someone said but there are no such areas in California, they are mostly back east.  So I offered Chicago, and Detroit, and Oakland CA"

There are missionaries assigned to Detroit.  Not just to the areas around Detroit proper, but in the inner city.  Also Flint and Pontiac, a couple of other cities that are probably not very high on anyone's vacation list.  It's interesting talking to the elders and sisters; they tend to be a bit nervous about being assigned to Detroit, but they all come out having enjoyed the assignment and the challenges that go with it.  They speak glowingly of the people they worked with.  

While I can't speak to Chicago, Oakland or anywhere else, I suspect Detroit is like just about any other large city in the US....

< downtown detroit missionary. (however this is  prebankruptancy) Loved it. But ya not a place i'd choose to raise a family.