Shalom from the City of Lights in the desert

Aish HaTorah

On 4/15/2016 at 8:21 AM, Sunday21 said:

Why not build a temple in another location in Jerusalem? Were previous temples built on the exact same spot?

Yes, they were.

Or, at least, on the same general site. Solomon leveled the Temple site on Mount Moriah (or Mount Zion), and built the Temple so the altar in the Holy of Holies would be on the rock where, according to legend (which we Saints generally believe) Abraham sacrificed Isaac (or the ram God provided), and where (was it) David made a sacrifice using wood from a yoke of oxen. Further legend has Melchizedek's altar there, as well.

Many Jews consider that stone the "navel of the earth". I'm not into that, but it underscores the significance of the site.

Now, where on that site (remember, the Dome of the Rock, where Mohamed supposedly left his footprint on/in a stone) the Temple was is not entirely settled. Most (>95%) of people who've studied it assume the rock of the Dome of the Rock, is the same rock I spoke of above. But a small band of scholars point to a place further back (away from the entrance to the Temple Mount) as the place Solomon built. I'm torn between the two opinions.

If the latter is accurate, the Temple could be built without tearing down the Mosque, not that Muslims would tolerate that, nor many Jews, for that matter.

However, your question implies that some site other than the Temple Mount would be acceptable. That is less in question. No.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers