Shalom from the City of Lights in the desert

Aish HaTorah

45 minutes ago, Aish HaTorah said:

Thank you, sir!  Lehi?

Yes. Named after my grandfather, who was named after the first prophet in the Book of Mormon.

As you know, Lehi was the place name in Judges where Samson killed a thousand Philistines with the jawbone of an ass. I assume it was from the event that the place got its name (which means "jawbone").

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

1 hour ago, Aish HaTorah said:

Shalom, shalom.  I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself.  My name is Yared and I hail from Las Vegas, NV.

I am curious about your avatar. The tablets I get, the rest is a mystery.

Two (at least) Hebrew words, and a tree (of life?). Can you fill me in?

Hey!!!?? You changed it!

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

40 minutes ago, Aish HaTorah said:

I haven't been called a "Jew people" before.  :)  Only joking with you.  I have a "working" knowledge of LDS scripture.  I am far from an expert.

I guess the reason I thought of the question was that the Book of Mormon represents a significant intersection between Jews and Mormon beliefs. As you probably know, we believe the BoM is a book of ancient scripture, written by Jews who left Jerusalem during the time of King Zedekiah. The BoM is one of the most important things in our church.

9 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

Lehi

You mean the one I just changed?  Sorry about that.  :)  The tablets, of course, are the Torah.  The Hebrew on the tablets are the first 10 letters in the alefbet.  The two Hebrew words are "Etz Chaim", meaning "Tree of Life."

1419895982.png

8 minutes ago, Aish HaTorah said:

You mean the one I just changed?  Sorry about that.  :)  The tablets, of course, are the Torah.  The Hebrew on the tablets are the first 10 letters in the alefbet.  The two Hebrew words are "Etz Chaim", meaning "Tree of Life."

1419895982.png

Yes, that's the one. It was a bit startling to see the referent gone.

Thanks for the clarification.

Lehi

13 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

Hey!!!?? You changed it!

Lehi

I did it just because I knew you were going to ask.  ;)  Haha...see my response below.

1 hour ago, estradling75 said:

You are very welcome...  We do have also Jewish Beliefs subfourm http://lds.net/forums/forum/61-jewish-beliefs-board/

I thought some of the post there have been very insightful... but it has not been very active lately

I just started a thread there.  Thank you for that.  I know the intent is to keep this thread to introductions.

3 hours ago, Aish HaTorah said:

Shalom, shalom.  I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself.  My name is Yared and I hail from Las Vegas, NV.  I am Jewish father of two and love all things theological.  I enjoy meeting people and hearing about their journey with G-d.  I am easy going, love to exchange ideas, and am currently in recovery from sarcasm.  I am excited to get to know you!  Please feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

Dear Aish, 

so pleased you are here! In the Book of Mormon, those who follow the law of Moses sometimes make an animal sacrifice. For example in Mosiah, the people have a big meeting and they bring a long a first born lamb to sacrifice. Are animal sacrifices part of Jewish observations of the law of Moses? Perhaps only in certain denominations? Perhaps the practice is archaic? 

9 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

Dear Aish,

so pleased you are here! In the Book of Mormon, those who follow the law of Moses sometimes make an animal sacrifice. For example in Mosiah, the people have a big meeting and they bring a long a first born lamb to sacrifice. Are animal sacrifices part of Jewish observations of the law of Moses? Perhaps only in certain denominations? Perhaps the practice is archaic?

I am well-pleased to be here.  THAT is a loaded question.  ;)  It depends on your flavor of Jew.  Many Hasidic Jews practice some form of Qorbanot (sacrifice), animal notwithstanding.  Especially during Yom Kippur.  The glaring problem with this, of course, is that there is no temple in which to provide said sacrifice.  Home sacrifices were and can be performed, but it isn't the same as the temple was destroyed.  Without quorbanot, we believe forgiveness is received through repentance, prayer, as well as good deeds. 

This, by the way, is why many Jews wear black, to mourn the temple.

10 minutes ago, Aish HaTorah said:

I am well-pleased to be here.  THAT is a loaded question.  ;)  It depends on your flavor of Jew.  Many Hasidic Jews practice some form of Qorbanot (sacrifice), animal notwithstanding.  Especially during Yom Kippur.  The glaring problem with this, of course, is that there is no temple in which to provide said sacrifice.  Home sacrifices were and can be performed, but it isn't the same as the temple was destroyed.  Without quorbanot, we believe forgiveness is received through repentance, prayer, as well as good deeds. 

This, by the way, is why many Jews wear black, to mourn the temple.

Thanks so much! I did not realize that the temple was a mandatory feature. I confess I was picturing a rather jolly barbecue!

Edited by Sunday21

8 minutes ago, Aish HaTorah said:

And invite all the pigs you know...it's the safest place they can spend an afternoon, among Jews.  :)

It is my personal theory that deep down all Mormons feel they are Jewish, having spent so much time following the exploits of Lehi's descendants wandering round the America's, we feel part of the family!

10 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

It is my personal theory that deep down all Mormons feel they are Jewish, having spent so much time following the exploits of Lehi's descendants wandering round the America's, we feel part of the family!

Honorary Jew...hmmmm.  :)

As for wandering in the desert, don't remind me.  Pesach (Passover) is soon enough.  Hehe.

Temples are greatly important to Mormons, as you may know. We have built about 150 of our versions of temple around the world.

What do Jews think about the temple exactly? Do they feel there can be only one, and that it has be be rebuilt in Jerusalem, otherwise nothing else counts? So the problem is that (if I remember correctly) the Muslim Dome of the Rock is there now on that spot, right?

Edited by tesuji

1 hour ago, Aish HaTorah said:

As for wandering in the desert, don't remind me.  Pesach (Passover) is soon enough.  Hehe.

I understand your concern, it's only another 12 months. Well, 11 months, 28 days.

Lehi

11 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

@Aish HaTorah, Welcome.

I wouldn't say "Jewish" but rather "of the House of Israel".  I tend to think we're the Jews' long-lost cousins.

13 hours ago, tesuji said:

Temples are greatly important to Mormons, as you may know. We have built about 150 of our versions of temple around the world.

What do Jews think about the temple exactly? Do they feel there can be only one, and that it has be be rebuilt in Jerusalem, otherwise nothing else counts? So the problem is that (if I remember correctly) the Muslim Dome of the Rock is there now on that spot, right?

Why not build a temple in another location in Jerusalem? Were previous temples built on the exact same spot?

I just want to say that the responses to this introduction have been very heartwarming to me.  I've always felt a connection to those of the Jewish faith but have not understood why.  I love learning anything about the people, the culture and the religion of those that follow Judaism.  

28 minutes ago, pam said:

I just want to say that the responses to this introduction have been very heartwarming to me.  I've always felt a connection to those of the Jewish faith but have not understood why.  I love learning anything about the people, the culture and the religion of those that follow Judaism.  

Mormons and Jews have a lot in common. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2016 at 1:47 PM, Aish HaTorah said:

Shalom, shalom.  I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself.  My name is Yared and I hail from Las Vegas, NV.  I am Jewish father of two and love all things theological.  I enjoy meeting people and hearing about their journey with G-d.  I am easy going, love to exchange ideas, and am currently in recovery from sarcasm.  I am excited to get to know you!  Please feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

Wow glad to have ya :)