Peru Earthquake

Annabelli

I was sure that there was a thread on this topic but I cannot find it.

Just wanted to let all of you know that I talked to my SIL who lives in the U.S. and has come to live in this country from Peru. Many of her family still live in Peru.

I talked to her tonight and she has been able to get some scanty phone calls through to her relatives. They are alive but the injured people is enormous and people are frightened.

The people were asked to go to work and school if they had businesses. But the after shocks of the quake have caused a lot of panic.

Honduras is supposed to bring military troops and supplies which they have not yet received. I told my SIL that the LDS Daily News reports that the LDS Church is in the process of sending much needed medical, food, and tents...etc. and that it is en route as we speak.

My SIL called me back to say that she was able to call them and tell them. She said that they were very grateful and uplifted that help was finally coming and they said tell them THANK YOU.

This was the August 20, 2007 Daily News Report:

UTAH RUSHES TO OFFER HUMANITARIAN AID TO PERUVIAN QUAKE VICTIMS

See http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695201916,00.html

Link

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah - Help from Utah is on its way to Peru, and more

is planned to be dispatched to the quake-devastated country. Scott

Trotter,

spokesman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, said

volunteers worked Friday evening to fill some 3,000 food boxes to be

sent

along with medical supplies, surgical instruments, hygiene kits, and

tarps.

This was the August 20, 2007 Daily News Report:

UTAH RUSHES TO OFFER HUMANITARIAN AID TO PERUVIAN QUAKE VICTIMS

See http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695201916,00.html

Link

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah - Help from Utah is on its way to Peru, and more

is planned to be dispatched to the quake-devastated country. Scott

Trotter,

spokesman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, said

volunteers worked Friday evening to fill some 3,000 food boxes to be

sent

along with medical supplies, surgical instruments, hygiene kits, and

tarps.

I also heard that one of the planes carrying the supplies was delayed due to mechanical issues

Has anyone heard if the Missionaries are safe and accounted for????....and thanks for sharing the information Annabelli

Here is what it says on lds.org news section.

PISCO, Peru 17 August 2007 The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is today loading supplies, surgical instruments, family food boxes, hygiene kits and tarps into a 747 cargo plane to be flown directly from Salt Lake City into the area affected by a major earthquake in Peru.

After the 8.0 quake hit Peru on 15 August 2007, the Church immediately responded. Working closely with the Peruvian Civil Defense Agency, the Church initially provided 10,000 blankets and other emergency supplies such as tents.

Local Church leaders have opened four Mormon chapels in Pisco as shelters and are providing food and water for displaced Peruvians.

The Church has substantial history and presence in Peru, where its membership is over 430,000. Current reports indicate seven members of the Church are among the dead, with 14 seriously injured. All Church missionaries are reported safe and accounted for.

<div class='quotemain'>

Has anyone heard if the Missionaries are safe and accounted for????....and thanks for sharing the information Annabelli

Here is what it says on lds.org news section.

PISCO, Peru 17 August 2007 The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is today loading supplies, surgical instruments, family food boxes, hygiene kits and tarps into a 747 cargo plane to be flown directly from Salt Lake City into the area affected by a major earthquake in Peru.

After the 8.0 quake hit Peru on 15 August 2007, the Church immediately responded. Working closely with the Peruvian Civil Defense Agency, the Church initially provided 10,000 blankets and other emergency supplies such as tents.

Local Church leaders have opened four Mormon chapels in Pisco as shelters and are providing food and water for displaced Peruvians.

The Church has substantial history and presence in Peru, where its membership is over 430,000. Current reports indicate seven members of the Church are among the dead, with 14 seriously injured. All Church missionaries are reported safe and accounted for.

I was really hoping that there were no deaths in the quake......so sad