Stop Trying to Find the “Right Person”

It's the same in Every. Single. Movie. Really, though. Every fairy-tale, every so-called "girl-power" chick flick. They all seem to end in exactly the same way: with the swoon-worthy guy at the end. Minus, you know, Disney's Brave. But that's one's an outlier, because last time I checked, way more movies revolve around the perfect kiss rather than (spoiler alert!) the heroine's mom turning into a bear. But please, correct me if I'm wrong. The girl-meets-boy and they live happily every after story is great in its own way. It's idyllic: you find someone that you love, someone who is good and kind, someone who is "the right person." But do you ever think that maybe we spend a little too much time fantasizing about our "right person" instead of pouring our energy into being the right person? Shifting Our Focus Disney's Tangled characters Rapunzel and Flynn each had to focus on their own learning, growth, and selflessness before they reached their happily ever after. When I was about 12, I remember watching...

View the full article

Ahhh!  I hate to be a critic... especially since I completely understand what she's trying to say and agree with the entire concept.

But, opening the article with movies is just silly more than artistic.  There's nothing wrong with Disney movies - even the old ones, not this new-fangled girl-power ones.  It doesn't make you concentrate on looking for The Right Person any more than playing Minecraft makes you concentrate on being an architect.  Or civil engineer.  Or something.

Looking for The Right Person is a "natural man" instinct that is responsible for the human species survival.  Therefore, even if you go back to the era before the Great Walt Disney was born, men and women have been searching for the Right Person for ages.  Women look for the person who seem capable of providing protection, men look for the person who seem capable of bearing 20 children... on and on and on its many forms for millennia.

Back to Disney movies - the old boy-meets-girl and live happily ever after is actually better in my opinion than this new-fangled I Don't Need No Men To Slay My Dragons theme especially the ones that couples that message with Men are Dragons (Maleficent, cough) movies.