Alma Chapter 31 - September 3, 2017

pam

The thing which strikes me in this chapter is that the Zoramite god is clearly Satan (and they were clearly taught about Satan by Satan):

• v15: "we believe that thou art God, ... and that thou wast a spirit, and that thou art a spirit, and that thou wilt be a spirit forever."
  • v16: "... we believe that thou hast separated us from our brethren; and we do not believe in the tradition of our brethren, which was handed down to them by the childishness of their fathers; but we believe that thou hast elected us to be thy holy children; and also thou hast made it known unto us that there shall be no Christ"
    • Regarding "childishness" - are we not commanded to be like little children - clearly Satan hates that whole idea and considers it foolish
  • v17: "that we may not be led away after the foolish traditions of our brethren, which doth bind them down to a belief of Christ, which doth lead their hearts to wander far from thee, our God."
    • Hopefully our belief in Christ does lead our hearts to wander far from the Zoramite god.
  • v24: Alma "saw that their hearts were set upon gold, and upon silver"
    • temple movie, anyone?
  • v25: "and [Alma] also saw that their hearts were lifted up unto great boasting, in their pride."
  • v28 describes costly apparel and jewelry.  I was always struck by Satan's increasingly fancy clothes in said movies.

Also, for the first time, I noticed that the Rameumptom appears to have been indoors (not outside like our artwork typically shows, at the top of a pyramid):

13 For they had a place built up in the center of their synagogue, a place for standing, which was high above the head; and the top thereof would only admit one person.

And I imagined something like these:

8301e5591d71dbe1fbedc9f0209edc68.jpg

832-127727.jpg

the-parish-church-warnemnde-germany-the-

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/77405687318136720/?lp=true

...which isn't to say it was inside, nor that it looked anything like these, that's just what struck me this morning.

On 9/3/2017 at 7:47 AM, zil said:

Also, for the first time, I noticed that the Rameumptom appears to have been indoors (not outside like our artwork typically shows, at the top of a pyramid):

And I imagined something like these:

...which isn't to say it was inside, nor that it looked anything like these, that's just what struck me this morning.

O.M.H. (Utah tough talk).

All kidding aside, I tend to think that Mormons are probably more likely to fall into the Zoramite trap than Catholics are.  I know you didn't say otherwise.  

But there is a very real lesson for the Saints to learn here.  We are a very wealthy people.  It is really easy to separate ourselves from others because we've lived separated from others in society by our peculiarity. We are told constantly of our infinite worth.  We're told to pray consistently.

That's a formula for some very dangerous outcomes.

We need to be very clear about some things.

• We believe in correct doctrines by following the words of the living oracles of God.  
  • While we believe in our infinite worth, we also acknowledge that the worth of ANY soul is infinite.
  • We do need to be childish in our humility before God, and even before other men.  See, I just got the childish part.  Now if I can just get the humility part in there...
  • Hold to the Rod.
  • We don't own anything.  All things belong to God.  We're only stewards who will be held accountable for that stewardship.
  • More pride.  At least it's not "gay pride". :D
  • Flaunting wealth doesn't really do anyone any favors.

That tall tower outdoors... I saw a stone tower in Central America.  But when I first saw it, I thought it was King Benjamin's tower.  I never pictured the Rameumptom to be outdoors.  I don't know where anyone got that from.

But here is an alternative rameumptom:

megachurch-osteen.jpg.7a800133a1779805210521f4e7ed2556.jpg