Couch surfing or cheap motel near SLC temple

Bad Karma

Ok, here we go!

I'm planning on taking a trip to SLC by myself, packing up a few items of clothes, my suit and temple stuff so I can go attend the temple in SLC! It's been on my bucket list, I have some time alone presently, so, that is how I want to spent it, visiting temples. 

I don't know anyone in SLC really, I don't know how popular couch surfing with members is for the purpose of a temple visit is, and if not, anyone have good intel on the best near by motel's on the cheap? I'm pretty excited at the thought of going to the SLC temple. 

How cheap are you looking at?  Are you flying in, driving?  Most likely will not be able to let you crash at our place, but probably depends on the dates (wife would not want men she does nto really know too well in the house when I'm not around, and I'm unfortunately busy at times).  Also, not right near the temple so transportation may be difficult as well if from our house.

I have other relatives that may be nearer to the temple, but I can't speak for them.  I prefer Marriots (and those chains, but I know most may not consider that cheap) normally.

If you are a retired Veteran there is Hill Airforce Base with it's lodges and cheaper motel for retirees, but around 30 miles away.  I believe the Shiloh Inn also offers discounts to Veterans in the area if they are in SLC (this one is basically downtown SLC).

There are some Hostels in the area that could run you somewhere around $60 (or less) and is probably the cheapest you'll find but the closests are around 7 blocks from the Temple and get further from there.

There's a Motel 6 around 6 blocks from the temple located around 200 W (not exact) 600 S that probably will run you around $60 to $70 as well.  The Royal Garden Inn around the same area probably runs around the same.  Those are probably the CHEAPEST you are going to find, though some have a 29.99 or other bargains at various times, it's hard to tell when.

Also, wouldn't suggest walking that far at night in Downtown SLC.  Personal opinion (some may do it all the time, I normally would not). 

If you have a car, I would suggest finding someplace a little further than downtown.  It's a good place to get it broken into at night, even with security occasionally...plus...except for the hotel parking (if they have it), it's difficult to find parking sometimes.  You CAN park in the Temple parking lot (you go down I thin it is West Temple, up past North Temple and then into the underground parking garage) if you go to the Temple.  They will give you a token when you go in that you can use to validate your parking when you leave.  You may also find cheaper hotels further from SLC center.

If you do not have a car, any of the hotels probably will be fine in the area as long as you stay on your toes.  You'll want to get a UTA pass from either the desk, or purchase on at a Kiosk at one of the stations/stops (they are pretty good in SLC for transportation, you have several options).  If you stay right around SLC center, it is free for around two stops in any direction around the Temple itself (so around a five block radius).

Edited by JohnsonJones

Yes, I'd be driving in from California. I don't really know anyone in SLC, but it is a total dream destination to go visit that temple!  I get excited just thinking about it when I consider everything that went into building it. Yes, I'm trying to go on the cheap.

If I were trying to do that, I'd probably pack camping supplies in the back of the car and go camping at one of the many campsites in the area.  It is far cheaper than almost any hotel you will find.  Some of them even have showers, and if they don't, you can always drop into one of the many flying J's in the area that have showers also.

Guest MormonGator

I can't really offer advice, but I hope you travel safe my friend. I just got back from a long road trip a few weeks ago. Love the freedom of being on the open road.