Confession Questions

Backing up a little before the fireworks began.

This is more a SIDE TOPIC than directly addressing the main topic.

There are some things between the two sects of Christianity which don't really have a parallel that are easily explained between the two.  In some situations, this makes it hard to explain how holy one thing may be in one religion, comparatively to how holy it is in another religion.  I think this applies to the LDS temple idea and the Catholic Eucharist...but I think aside from the confession topic we are discussing, there COULD be something that is comparable between the two.

In dogma and practice, the Eucharist should be the pinnacle of all the sacraments in the Catholic religion.  I would say it even holds a higher holiness than what the sacrament does for the Saints in the LDS religion.  In the Catholic religion, the Priest is literally serving the last supper as the body and blood of the Lord.  Unlike the LDS and protestant faiths where it is seen as symbolism, a reminder, a covenant between the Lord and man, it is seen as even more.  It is literally the Lord in the flesh there as the eucharist to those who receive it, and as such, should be respected and held as holy as the Lord.  The Priest literally has this power to do this, to bring the body and blood of the Lord as the membership participate in the sacrifice as he commanded his disciples to do before his crucifixion.  It is the very essence of the center of worship and the epitomy of what it stands for. 

Unfortunately, in reality, it is normally not held in that high of a regard by many.  It seems the most devout will realize and hold this in their mind, worshipping in all holiness and respect, but many that I've seen (especially in the younger generation) do it in a light minded or light hearted manner.  I've heard all sorts of jokes and other inappropriate actions from Catholics that do not take it as seriously as they should, seeing it more as a common event because of how often it is done (which should emphasize it's importance rather than what they act upon it as in these instances) rather than one of the most valued and holy acts available to a Catholic.

There are those who hold it in as high a regard as they should, and for them it is among the highest of the sacraments that they are honored to participate in, and the center of the worship of a week or holy day.

Unfortunately, I see this more from the older generation, and a LOT of the younger generation take it more as a common experience that is not taken that heavily, and instead treated very lightly instead.  I'm not sure, but I think there are a few in the Catholic religion that have noted this trend and are somewhat worried about what it holds for the future of the next generation (not the church, to be specific, but of the faith and worship of the younger generations).

The LDS have their sacrament, but I don't think there is anything in the LDS church that really is comparable to the Eucharist in that light.  It is something that is for all to partake, but it is also one of the most holy things that one can participate in, which is something the LDS really don't have as an ordinance.  The Sacrament can be seen in that way, but it is not seen as the Catholics do their Eucharist, where it is literally the body and blood they are taking.

On the otherhand, the same would apply to the LDS temple ordinances...I don't see anything that one could truly compare it to in regards to how holy the LDS have it in regards to Catholic sacraments.

A comparison MIGHT be made in regards to what many call the Holy Orders, which is still seen as somewhat odensome by both younger and older.  It is one where only a few partake of them and join in this particular sacrament.  In this, the Holy Orders can even be seen as selective, as only those who vow holiness and endure and then partake of the Holy Orders are accepted.  In this Sacrament, you have a similar experience to what one would do to become a member of the Higher Priesthood in the LDS church to become an Elder and then go on a mission.

Not all men become Elders (I think the estimate right now is somewhere between 20 - 25%)? in the LDS church. It is more common in the LDS church than those who partake of the Holy Orders, but in some ways, though by adding the going on a mission protocol (which is basically becoming a full time LDS minister for 2 years) can at least make it somewhat comparable.

Most who do this, are those young men who go into the temple, which is why I bring up that this could possibly be a comparison between the regard one gives to one who is accepting the Sacrament of the Holy Order in comparison to those who may make the sacrifice to go to the LDS temple. 

Temple Marriage could be seen as a good comparison between the LDS faith and the Catholic Eucharist, to be honest...in some ways.  For a Catholic, the Sacrament of Marriage is also under the Sacrament of Service, and as a Priest is married to the Light, the Couple are also married and as such, if both are members, are married in the Lord.  Hence, divorce is as if one is divorcing one from the Lord (a perspective many American Catholics miss these days as they also take this sacrament too lightly and divorce too often without the church approval).  However, this could also be seen as a similar parallel, as the LDS who seek marriage and are worthy partake in the Temple Ceremonies. 

Ironically, this ordinance is seen by many as the crowning ordinance of the LDS church...but the divorce rate is far too common.  For most Catholics, divorce is illegal, a direct offense to the Lord.  It would be better to die than to divorce, especially for anything as petty as most divorces are done for.  I suppose this is also one arena that I actually hold to in my life (at least thus far)...divorce is never on the table and never considered and option for me.  For LDS, this is one of the highest ordinances, but in reality, many LDS do not seem to take it that seriously.  Divorce is on the table ALL TOO often.  You have those that DO see it as holy as it should be, but there are so many divorces in the LDS church that at times, the percentage of divorce is close if not the same as the world around us.  In this, one could make a parallel to the Catholic Eucharist.  The Eucharist should be the highest epitomy of worship, but in reality, especially among the younger generation it is not held in that high of an accord.

In the LDS church, the Temple Marriage could be seen as the highest epitomy of the ordinances in the LDS church, and in dogma and doctrine it is very close to that.  It is supposed to be the holiest act a man and woman participate in, and if one holds to it, the promises of one participating in it are the highest rewards given by the Lord.  However, I see too many take this ordinance far too lightly, both men and women willing to toss it aside at the slightest infraction or intolerance, even after years of marriage.  In most cases it seems, just like the world, it is due to finances, selfishness, and other minor things rather than major sins or other pbstac;es. 

In that light, when viewing how holy and important each of these ordinances SHOULD be (and some in each religion DO realize this and hold these sacraments and ordinances as being that holy), but how lightly they are treated in regards to many in those religions, I'd say that the way people treat and act about them compared to how they SHOULD treat and act towards them, could be a good comparison.

I would think that there are enough differences that it is hard to really compare the actual holiness of the Catholic Eucharist to anything a Mormon could conceive, and likewise the LDS Temple ordinances to anything a Catholic may participate in...but how holy these things are compared to how they are TREATED in their respective religions, I think could very well be a good comparison, at least in MY OPINION based upon WHAT I've SEEN.

Edited by JohnsonJones

• pam unfeatured this topic