Prayer....confusion

Saab900man

I am a convert to the church of 2 and 1/2 years. But I am still trying to bulid my testimony. I have had a recurring question. It is about the role of the Godhead in prayer. In my previous faith the Trinity was taught. So when I would pray I prayed to Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost because of this belief. Now that I know the LDS Church is true I am having a little trouble making sense of the Godheads role in prayer. I know we pray to Heavenly Father (this is what Christ taught us to do). The Holy Ghost can then guides us and let us know the truth of the answers,inspiration, etc we are given. That is only Two of the Godhead active in the prayer....right? I know we pray in the name of Jesus Christ but that does not mean he has an active role right?

Any insite on this? :hmmm:

I too am a convert for about the same amount of time. My first thought is that Christ is always at work in anything righteous. He makes intercession for us, and I believe prayer is one of the major outlets. To me, saying it in His name is significant. It is declaring that you are asking, praising, or any other action you might do in prayer, according to your faith in Christ and by virtue of His blood you seek for that power to be manifest therein. There are other promises linked to this, I encourage you to study it out as much as you can. :) Hope that helps a little.

I am a convert to the church of 2 and 1/2 years. But I am still trying to bulid my testimony. I have had a recurring question. It is about the role of the Godhead in prayer. In my previous faith the Trinity was taught. So when I would pray I prayed to Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost because of this belief. Now that I know the LDS Church is true I am having a little trouble making sense of the Godheads role in prayer. I know we pray to Heavenly Father (this is what Christ taught us to do). The Holy Ghost can then guides us and let us know the truth of the answers,inspiration, etc we are given. That is only Two of the Godhead active in the prayer....right? I know we pray in the name of Jesus Christ but that does not mean he has an active role right?

Any insite on this? :hmmm:

Sounds like you about have it, but it may help to think about like this....You pray to the Father because He is the Father of your spirit. You send your prayer in the name of Christ because He is your Savior and Redeemer. Then it is the Holy Ghost who brings you Father's answer. That way all three are involved.

I too am a convert for about the same amount of time. My first thought is that Christ is always at work in anything righteous. He makes intercession for us, and I believe prayer is one of the major outlets. To me, saying it in His name is significant. It is declaring that you are asking, praising, or any other action you might do in prayer, according to your faith in Christ and by virtue of His blood you seek for that power to be manifest therein. There are other promises linked to this, I encourage you to study it out as much as you can. :) Hope that helps a little.

Technically you both stole from me. :D:P lol, anyway. Just felt like being a pain.

The reason we pray to God, is because he is our father, he gave us everything we have.

We pray in Christ's name because without Christ's Atonement we can not return to live with our heavenly father again. and untill we are judged and have been cleansed from all sin, we will be doing everything in Christ's name.

Christ payed for our sins with his atonement. In essence, he owns us. we follow his commandments because Christ is the one who will judge us and be there to take the punishment for our sakes so that we may return to our heavenly Father.

The Holy Ghost does many things.

He testifies of truth, he comforts, he guides. but most importantly, when you are baptized and recieve the GIFT of the Holy Ghost, you are then able to partake of the atonement.

The gift of the holy ghost is also called "baptism by fire" which literally means just that. the Holy Ghost cleanses your spirit as if by fire when you truely repent. Baptism by immersion is the death of your old self, and reborn as a child of God. it is in the similtude of death and resurrection. The baptism by fire, or recieveing the Holy Ghost, allows your soul to actually be cleansed from sin.

Those are the main roles of the godhead.