New California Bill would Mean Banning the Bible

Still_Small_Voice

California is about to enact a law that will ban any form of speech or written material that is critical of same-sex sexuality.

The following is from Robert J. Gagnon:

The bill in question is California Assembly Bill 2943.  It would treat as a criminal violation of the state’s consumer fraud act “the sale or lease of goods or services to any consumer” that consists of “advertising, offering to engage in, or engaging in sexual orientation change efforts with an individual.” Don’t be misled into thinking that this bill bans only professional counselors from trying to alter same-sex attractions. It goes well beyond that.

Read more at:  https://godfatherpolitics.com/new-california-bill-would-mean-banning-the-bible/

-------------------------------------------

I think if they pass this bill it will be struck down in the courts.  I doubt the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals will rule in favor of the First Amendment.  But a higher Court will strike this down.

Edited by Still_Small_Voice

It doesn’t technically ban criticisms of homosexuality; it “just” bans receiving profit for engaging in such speech to an individual.  Reviewing pro-gay media coverage of this bill from back in February, before the Christian Right sounded the alarm, I really don’t think it’s intended to reach the sale of printed materials; though it can certainly be interpreted that way (and the way things are going, probably *will* be at some point).  

Glad I got out of CA when I did  . . .