Repentance from Sexual Sin

I’m posting for a friend who was asking me about this and I didn’t have an answer. He got into some trouble and broke the law of chastity a few months ago. He’s met with his bishop, but they haven’t come to a decision about exactly what they’ll do yet. It will almost certainly be some informal or formal probation. Our good friend is getting sealed in the temple in a few months. It will have been about 6 months since the sin, but only a couple months since he confessed to his bishop. Do they usually take into account how long it has been since the sin, or how long since they came forward and confessed in situations like this? He’s wondering if there’s anyway he’ll be able to make it to our friends sealing. Thanks!

First off I'm glad you're friend has decided to repent. It can be really difficult to bite the bullet, and talk to the bishop but he did. That being said, the only answer I can give you is maybe. He might be cleared to go to the temple for the sealing and he might not. The only person that can give him some kind of an idea about that is his bishop so he should ask him.

Welcome, @Sergval1234!  At the end of the day, this is up to your friend's bishop.  The best thing your friend can do is work to receive the Savior's healing and forgiveness.  If it turns out he can't go to your other friend's wedding, he should look at it as an opportunity to humbly accept the will of the Lord as he continues on the path of repentance.  (I mention this only because some might be angry or depressed in that situation, but it will be easier and better for him if he prepares himself to accept the Lord's timing, whatever it may be.)

As someone who understands what it's like to go through that process, and honestly still deals with it on a daily basis, I would say what matters most at the moment isn't whether he will be able to attend the wedding or not, but whether he is willing to continue to go through the repentance process regardless.  It's understandable that he would want to attend the wedding and be a part of your mutual friend's greatest day, but the more important thing is that he continue to talk with his bishop and do what's necessary to overcome the sin and find forgiveness, both from God and himself, whether he makes it to the wedding or not.  

I would also say that even if he cannot participate in the ceremony itself, he can still be a part of your friend's special day.  I would point to my own experience, where I was not allowed in during my own brother's wedding for very similar reasons.  Even so, I accepted this as necessary part of repentance.  I also stood outside the temple with other family members who were not allowed in (non-member family members) and waited for my brother and his wife to come out afterwards.  It was still an amazing day, made even better by knowing I was working to make my way back in myself someday.