This is a long shot...

Jamie123

This is a really long shot considering most people here are Americans... But the thread on "Old TV Shows" has made me think of a particular old TV show that I can't remember the name of.

This was a miniseries for children that came out about 1975, shown in the early evenings. It was set in a spooky version of 1970s Britain, but in a world in which all machinery had vanished. The main character was a young girl who was trying to find out what was going on, and why this was.

Every time anyone so much as mentioned machines (the first example was when someone mentioned a bicycle) she hears a strange spooky noise which disturbed her, and she would ask them to stop. I think there was a boy as well who she teamed up with. They had lots of adventures over several episodes, which eventually led them to a crazy old man who kept saying "I touched him! I touched him!" In the final episode the crazy man led them to an enormous underground cave with a golden light in it, and a voice said: "He who touches me unbalances the world!"

For a while I thought it might have been "The Moon Stallion" but that was a different show entirely - though definitely in the same tradition. All I really remember about that was that Sarah Sutton was in it (long before she was in Doctor Who).

But it's really bugging me. Do any middle-aged Brits remember this show? (The first one that is, not the Sarah Sutton one.)

Ohhh... we Filipinos get British TV!  My favorite was CI5 and that's how I grew up with 3 dogs named Bodie, Doyle, and Cowley.

The TV series you're talking about sounds like The Changes.  It was about a girl named Nicki who tried to figure out why humans "killed" all the machines.

2 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Ohhh... we Filipinos get British TV!  My favorite was CI5 and that's how I grew up with 3 dogs named Bodie, Doyle, and Cowley.

The TV series you're talking about sounds like The Changes.  It was about a girl named Nicki who tried to figure out why humans "killed" all the machines.

Thanks Anatess that certainly looks like it! Cheers!