Consider Solomon...

Jeny

And Solomon loved the LORD, walking in the statutes of David his father: only he sacrificed and burnt incense in high places. 4 And the king went to Gibeon to sacrifice there; for that was the great high place: a thousand burnt offerings did Solomon offer upon that altar. 5 ¶ In Gibeon the LORD appeared to Solomon in a dream by night: and God said, Ask what I shall give thee. 6 And Solomon said, Thou hast shewed unto thy servant David my father great mercy, according as he walked before thee in truth, and in righteousness, and in uprightness of heart with thee; and thou hast kept for him this great kindness, that thou hast given him a son to sit on his throne, as it is this day. numbered nor counted for multitude. 9 Give therefore thy servant an understanding heart to judge thy people, that I may discern between good and bad: for who is able to judge this thy so great a people? 10 And the speech pleased the Lord, that Solomon had asked this thing. wise and an understanding heart; so that there was none like thee before thee, neither after thee shall any arise like unto thee.

Solomon was a prophet of G-d...nobody disputes that...G-d even gives Solomon the desires of his heart, yet Solomon was not a perfect man...he sacrificed in high places...basically...his many wives drew his heart away from the ONE TRUE G-d....even with this imperfection that G-d was full aware of...G-d used and blessed Solomon....

My question...Why can people except that he was a prophet of G-d, yet want to question Joseph Smith and cite his imperfections as proof that JS could not have been a prophet?

Ether 12:26-28

26 And when I had said this, the Lord spake unto me, saying: Fools mock, but they shall mourn; and my grace is sufficient for the meek, that they shall take no advantage of your weakness;

27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.

28 Behold, I will show unto the Gentiles their weakness, and I will show unto them that faith, hope and charity bringeth unto me—the fountain of all righteousness.

This is G-d's answer...

• 4 weeks later...

Those who have not grown up with the idea of a prophet in their midst have different ideas about what a prophet is or should be. Those who would criticize the prophets of modern times for being fallible would have rejected the prophets in ancient times. They just don't realize that about themselves.

Sometimes I scare myself thinking about what I would have done in Jesus' time. Would I have been able to see Him for who He really was, or would I have just seen a carpenter with strange ideas?

Those who have not grown up with the idea of a prophet in their midst have different ideas about what a prophet is or should be. Those who would criticize the prophets of modern times for being fallible would have rejected the prophets in ancient times. They just don't realize that about themselves.

Sometimes I scare myself thinking about what I would have done in Jesus' time. Would I have been able to see Him for who He really was, or would I have just seen a carpenter with strange ideas?

Actually...I come from a Baptist background, and all my baptist family and "friends" except the Prophets of old, but not the modern day ones. I put the word, "friends" in parentheses because when I converted to LDS, I might as well have killed 10,000 kittens!!! :angry:

I am "going to Hell" now and they have "given me over to Satan"....whatever!! :rolleyes:

Actually...I come from a Baptist background, and all my baptist family and "friends" except the Prophets of old, but not the modern day ones. I put the word, "friends" in parentheses because when I converted to LDS, I might as well have killed 10,000 kittens!!! :angry:

I am "going to Hell" now and they have "given me over to Satan"....whatever!! :rolleyes:

Be patient and honest with them and who knows maybe youll bring some of those kittens back from the dead.

My question...Why can people except that he was a prophet of G-d, yet want to question Joseph Smith and cite his imperfections as proof that JS could not have been a prophet?

I expect that there are a lot of reasons for this but two of them stand out to me. One is the time difference. Yeah Joseph Smith lived over a hundred years ago, but he was an American, he lived in places that we recognize on a map. Solomon lived thousands of years ago half way around the world. The culture recorded in the Bible can seen fairly alien compared to our culture today, I think that makes it easier to conveniently not subject past prophets to standards that we submit current prophets to.

The other reason that occurs to me is that most people only know about Solomon from the Bible. It isn't the case where the Bible says all these good things about Solomon but the history books say all these bad things. Rather the Bible itself records both his good acts and his bad acts. So they are free to believe all the bad things along with the good and still believe he was a righteous man at one point because the Bible says so. Joseph Smith doesn't have that luxury since he lived in modern times and as such information related to him will come from multiple sources. This makes any mistakes he made seem more real and controversial.

As an example consider Nephi in the Book of Mormon. If you believe in the Book of Mormon then does Nephi killing Laban cause you any concern about whether or not he was a true prophet? Or does the fact that the Book of Mormon clearly considered him such, even though he killed Laban, make it a non-issue?

If you recall many of the prophets of the Old Testament were rejected in their time. Many of them had to wander and hide. Proximity is the factor.

My daughter had a bishop whom she raved about. I visited her ward and when I saw who her bishop was I started laughing. He was someone I knew in high school. He used to be the kid who would jump over chairs at church with his cousin. That's all I could picture. Remember this scripture about the Saviour in John 1:46: "And Nathanael said unto him, Can there any good thing come out of Nazareth? Philip saith unto him, Come and see."

Be patient and honest with them and who knows maybe youll bring some of those kittens back from the dead.

Most of them have completely written me off...I don't even keep in touch with them anymore...as far as my family is concerned...they all think I am nuts!!!