Sign in to follow this  
Jamie123

Nostalgia (and other stir-crazy ramblings)

Recommended Posts

I hope you guys are all well and coping with "all this"! Does anyone remember these issues from long ago? They all seem to belong to a bygone age:

  • Brexit
  • Trump (impeachment of)
  • Prince Andrew (potential naughtiness of)
  • Epstein
  • Anne Sacoolas
  • Harvey Weinstein
  • Harry and Meghan

Covid19 seems to have been going on forever now, with no end in sight. Even Johnson has gone down with it. You should hear the suggestions people have been making on TV, like having a "cabinet" of ex-Prime Ministers to run the country until Boris better. Can you imagine John Major, Tony Blair, Gordon Brown, David Cameron and Theresa May all in a room together trying to agree "what to do now"?

I think the Queen should call a virtual meeting of all the actual cabinet, and based on their advice appoint one of them as a temporary Prime Minister with full powers. She's the only person with the authority to do this, and if she doesn't use it in a circumstance like this, what's the good of her?

Well OK - I guess she makes good speeches like she did on Sunday, but...

Eddlie Large died of coronavirus. This morning they told us Honor Blackman has died. (They didn't say whether it was coronavirus - but she was 94.) I liked Honor Blackman. I found her incredibly sexy, even as an old woman. She was Steed's first companion in The Avengers (the proper Avengers - not the Marvel thing) and the goddess Hera in Jason and the Argonauts. And she was Pussy Galore in Goldfinger - playing opposite Sean Connery (the best Bond ever in my opinion - though my wife likes Brosnan better but she's wrong - no one beats Connery.)

Is anyone else sick of having work meetings in Zoom? My webcam makes me look green, and I'm getting a bit sick of being told I look like the Hulk. (I prefer to think I look like that guy in the Wilfred Owen poem - the one who gets gassed: "As through a green sea I saw him drowning" - best line in the whole poem I reckon.)

Anyway, God Bless...

Edited by Jamie123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sick of Zoom yet, though it is interesting to see how things work.  I'm a lot more aware of which students are actually in the meeting vs. those who are not attending class, so there's one positive.

We have one of our kids here with us (son) and it is a struggle at times to determine who gets to use the internet, us or his family.  I also have access to the office, it's like a ghost town.  NO ONE is there or around. 

It is rather surreal in ways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

I'm not sick of Zoom yet, though it is interesting to see how things work.  I'm a lot more aware of which students are actually in the meeting vs. those who are not attending class, so there's one positive.

We have one of our kids here with us (son) and it is a struggle at times to determine who gets to use the internet, us or his family.  I also have access to the office, it's like a ghost town.  NO ONE is there or around. 

It is rather surreal in ways.

First things first - here's a picture of Honor Blackman playing Goddess Hera...

s320x240

...and here she is as Pussy Galore...

GettyImages-492854801.jpg?crop=1249px,0p

...with Sean Connery also in the picture. Two total legends!

Anyway, now I have that off my chest, we have one child at home too (a daughter). Until last week she had to do school work online, but this week it's the Easter vacation so right now she's cooking supper (butternut soup). Luckily we all have our own laptops so no arguments - thoug  last week mine broke and I had to make a trip into work to borrow one. (Hence the "green" webcam - perhaps a student was sick on it once - who knows?) It's like a ghost town there too - only security and IT techs on campus, and not very many of them.

My wife has knitted me a face mask, so no coronavirus for me when I go shopping tomorrow!

 

 

Edited by Jamie123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jamie123 said:

My wife has knitted me a face mask, so no coronavirus for me when I go shopping tomorrow!

My wife isn't knitting one, but she has made this facemask thing out of cloth on a sewing machine.  She is threatening on making me one and having me wear it.

(Just to clarify, she isn't actually threatening, that was a joke.  They are quite nice and look like others, but are cloth and washable).

Edited by JohnsonJones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

They are quite nice and look like others, but are cloth and washable

Yer man Trump wouldn't agree!

Mine is a lovely yellow and it has special bits that go over my ears to keep it on. I'm doing the family shopping in an hour. I have face mask, gloves, hand sanitizer and ready to kick some COVID 19 butt! Wish me luck!

Edited by Jamie123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2020 at 12:36 PM, Jamie123 said:

First things first - here's a picture of Honor Blackman playing Goddess Hera...

s320x240

...and here she is as Pussy Galore...

GettyImages-492854801.jpg?crop=1249px,0p

...with Sean Connery also in the picture. Two total legends!

Anyway, now I have that off my chest, we have one child at home too (a daughter). Until last week she had to do school work online, but this week it's the Easter vacation so right now she's cooking supper (butternut soup). Luckily we all have our own laptops so no arguments - thoug  last week mine broke and I had to make a trip into work to borrow one. (Hence the "green" webcam - perhaps a student was sick on it once - who knows?) It's like a ghost town there too - only security and IT techs on campus, and not very many of them.

My wife has knitted me a face mask, so no coronavirus for me when I go shopping tomorrow!

 

 

I love Hera in that film. Especially the way she rebukes Pelias.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this