Object Lessons

havejoy

When I taught in YW there were books I could buy that had object lessons that went along with the lesson to be taught on Sunday. We're having a RS teachers in-service in about a week and I was hoping to get a couple of books like that to go along with the RS lessons. The problem is that I haven't been able to find any. We have a pretty good book store near the Houston Temple but no luck there. I've checked Deseret books and no luck there. Any ideas on where I might find a book that contains object lessons for adults or will I (gasp) need to come up with my own?

When I taught in YW there were books I could buy that had object lessons that went along with the lesson to be taught on Sunday. We're having a RS teachers in-service in about a week and I was hoping to get a couple of books like that to go along with the RS lessons. The problem is that I haven't been able to find any. We have a pretty good book store near the Houston Temple but no luck there. I've checked Deseret books and no luck there. Any ideas on where I might find a book that contains object lessons for adults or will I (gasp) need to come up with my own?

Have you looked in the YM/YW section? I believe that's where I saw an object lessons book just a couple weeks ago. Some are probably too juvenile, but I'm sure there's a lot you could use.

Have you looked in the YM/YW section? I believe that's where I saw an object lessons book just a couple weeks ago. Some are probably too juvenile, but I'm sure there's a lot you could use.

I have the ones that go along with the YW lessons but I was looking for more ideas that would go along with the adult RS lessons. Thanks though.

I'd like some to go along with the remaining chapters in the SWK book as well as "Service", "Choices", "Prayer", and "Visit Teaching".

Thanks! :sparklygrin:

In our Relief Society, someone did an object lesson about prayer using cell phones. They did an example where a person wasn't getting a signal and one where a person did all the talking, didn't wait for an answer, and just hung up. I think there were a couple other things they did, so I'll try to remember. :)

For Visiting Teaching, maybe you could do a skit. Two friends are visiting together having a wonderful time and the one asks if they want to get together tomorrow at the end. The other could answer, "Oh, I'm sorry. I only see you once a month. I've filled our friendship quota." That would make the point that we're supposed to be real friends with the women we visit teach and how bizarre would it seem if our friends actually set a limit on how much they talk to us.

For choices - You could involve a decision between different types of choices. Sometimes either choice is fine, sometimes you're making a choice between a good choice and a better choice, and sometimes you are choosing between a good choice and a bad choice. You could have someone be your guinea pig. Have them choose between watching a wholesome uplifting movie or bringing dinner to a family with a sick mom (between a good choice and a better choice), between gala and fuji apples (either one is fine), and between two gift ideas with a $5 budget - buying an inexpensive gift or copying a bunch of movies for the person. I'll try to think of something better, but that's just one idea.

For service, I think that was the one we had when someone tied a bunch of ties together and the message was "service is the tie that binds" or something like that. We each grabbed a hold of part of the long tie and passed it on to each other until it was stretching throughout the room, showing how we can all affect each other through service. We don't have to do it all, but we can serve one person and it will make a big impact.

• 1 year later...

I have the ones that go along with the YW lessons but I was looking for more ideas that would go along with the adult RS lessons. Thanks though.

Would you believe I'm actually writing a book right now with object lessons for Relief Society lessons! It comes out in Nov/Dec 2009, called "Ready Resource for Relief Society"! I'm a real visual learner, so I just love object lessons! You can read more about it at Boice Box

Trina Boice

• 9 months later...