What Ever You Do,

Snow

Church group opts out of joining National Day of Prayer events

Justin Hill THE DAILY HERALD

A Utah Valley group of several faiths will not participate in an event through the National Day of Prayer Task Force this year after learning the group doesn't allow LDS Church members to conduct prayer services.

For the past three years, the Utah Valley Ministerial Association held prayer services throughout Utah County with the aid of the National Day of Prayer Task Force -- events that included participation from members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and that drew an estimated 500 participants yearly.

But Chaplain Linda P. Walton of the Utah Valley State College Interfaith Student Association learned this year that the National Day of Prayer Task Force, which provides resources to some 8,000 volunteers to hold National Day of Prayer events, doesn't allow Latter-day Saints to direct prayer services because they are not considered to be an evangelical church under a declaration agreed upon by representatives of evangelical churches in 1974, known as the Lausanne...

http://www.harktheherald.com/modules.php?o...order=0&thold=0

Guest curvette

Maybe I didn't read the article closely enough. It sounded like it doesn't exclude LDS people from praying, just from conducting the service. I don't see a problem with this. I think this type of organizational "discrimination" exists in our church too. I couldn't conduct a Sacrament meeting if I wanted to, but I can attend it.

Originally posted by Rodney+May 4 2004, 12:06 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Rodney @ May 4 2004, 12:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--AFDaw@May 4 2004, 12:10 PM

I can't believe that there are people that actually think like this.  It's amazing to me really.

I'm considering that what you are thinking is pretty much what they are thinking.

Consider away Rod man.

Hey Curvette, I have a problem with the reason WHY though.

Guest curvette

Originally posted by AFDaw@May 4 2004, 12:10 PM

You mean because we aren't "Christian" enough for them? It does seem dumb to tell someone who obviously believes in Christ that they aren't Christian. Every organization has membership criteria though. I think the world would be such a nicer place if religions focused more on our common goals and the things that unite us than the differences in our beliefs.

Originally posted by curvette+May 4 2004, 01:21 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (curvette @ May 4 2004, 01:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--AFDaw@May 4 2004, 12:10 PM

You mean because we aren't "Christian" enough for them? It does seem dumb to tell someone who obviously believes in Christ that they aren't Christian. Every organization has membership criteria though. I think the world would be such a nicer place if religions focused more on our common goals and the things that unite us than the differences in our beliefs.

Right. The whole purpose was to recognize National Prayer Day, at least that's what they say, yet they want to limit who participates in National Prayer Day, under their name.

Originally posted by curvette@May 4 2004, 02:21 PM

...I think the world would be such a nicer place if religions focused more on our common goals and the things that unite us than the differences in our beliefs.

Yes, isn't it a crying shame? Maybe if it weren't such a lucrative business that dream might have a chance.

Guest curvette
Originally posted by Rodney+May 4 2004, 03:03 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Rodney @ May 4 2004, 03:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--curvette@May 4 2004, 02:21 PM

...I think the world would be such a nicer place if religions focused more on our common goals and the things that unite us than the differences in our beliefs.

Yes, isn't it a crying shame? Maybe if it weren't such a lucrative business that dream might have a chance.

What? You mean we can't serve God and Mammon both? (that concept sounds familiar...)

Originally posted by curvette@May 4 2004, 12:00 PM

Maybe I didn't read the article closely enough. It sounded like it doesn't exclude LDS people from praying, just from conducting the service. I don't see a problem with this. I think this type of organizational "discrimination" exists in our church too. I couldn't conduct a Sacrament meeting if I wanted to, but I can attend it.

Come now Curvette, that's not the issue. We are not talking about the Lutheran Church disallowing Catholic from conducting their service. It's not a denominational service. It is an interdenominational sevice.

Guest curvette
Originally posted by Snow+May 4 2004, 09:49 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Snow @ May 4 2004, 09:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--curvette@May 4 2004, 12:00 PM

Maybe I didn't read the article closely enough.  It sounded like it doesn't exclude LDS people from praying, just from conducting the service.  I don't see a problem with this.  I think this type of organizational "discrimination" exists in our church too.  I couldn't conduct a Sacrament meeting if I wanted to, but I can attend it.

Come now Curvette, that's not the issue. We are not talking about the Lutheran Church disallowing Catholic from conducting their service. It's not a denominational service. It is an interdenominational sevice.

I know, and I think it's a ridiculous policy. It's an interdenominational group that has defined an acceptable Christian as something that our church members don't meet the criteria for. I don't like it either, but it is still an organization which consists of several smaller organizations and we don't qualify. It's stupid, but not illegal. I am glad to see that people are recognizing the discrimination by walking away. Progress always takes time.

Guest Ammon

Originally posted by Snow@May 4 2004, 09:37 AM

Church group opts out of joining National Day of Prayer events

Justin Hill THE DAILY HERALD

A Utah Valley group of several faiths will not participate in an event through the National Day of Prayer Task Force this year after learning the group doesn't allow LDS Church members to conduct prayer services.

For the past three years, the Utah Valley Ministerial Association held prayer services throughout Utah County with the aid of the National Day of Prayer Task Force -- events that included participation from members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and that drew an estimated 500 participants yearly.

But Chaplain Linda P. Walton of the Utah Valley State College Interfaith Student Association learned this year that the National Day of Prayer Task Force, which provides resources to some 8,000 volunteers to hold National Day of Prayer events, doesn't allow Latter-day Saints to direct prayer services because they are not considered to be an evangelical church under a declaration agreed upon by representatives of evangelical churches in 1974, known as the Lausanne...

http://www.harktheherald.com/modules.php?o...order=0&thold=0

Good for those groups for boycotting that discriminatory event!!

Originally posted by curvette@May 4 2004, 04:15 PM

What? You mean we can't serve God and Mammon both? (that concept sounds familiar...)

The better question is, why would I want to serve Ammon? He doesn't even like me.

Guest curvette
Originally posted by Snow+May 6 2004, 03:09 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Snow @ May 6 2004, 03:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--curvette@May 4 2004, 04:15 PM

What?  You mean we can't serve God and Mammon both?  (that concept sounds familiar...)

The better question is, why would I want to serve Ammon? He doesn't even like me.

Of course he doesn't like you after you flew his jockstrap up the flagpole in 8th grade!