They of the Last Wagon

Carborendum

This last October, Elder Bednar was the opening speaker for the opening session on Saturday Morning (In the Path of their Duty). His talk quotes both Elder Howard W. Hunter and Pres J. Reuben Clark.  Both talks are worth reviewing.  But I highly recommend you read the talk by Pres. Clark (They of the Last Wagon).

I was asked to give a lesson on In the Path... and I thought it would be worth reviewing the referenced talks.  When I read the account of the wagons I couldn't stop crying.  I read it three times and I cried each time.

The one thing that I don't know how many people picked up on was that the particular family that Pres. Clark showcases was his own family.  The mother and father in the story were his maternal grandparents.  The mother (his grandmother, who was pregnant at the time) was pregnant with his mother.  The young boy, Bill, who died on the trail was his uncle whom he never knew.

Edited by Carborendum

If you want the full talk from October 1947, you can get the free Deseret Bookshelf app and download the free "Conference Report October 1947".  This talk was given in the last session.  (It's possible I can get a PDF of this off my other computer from another source, should anyone need it.  But there are plenty of free books in the Bookshelf app that make it worth it to me.)

Dang it.  That link is not the one I saw earlier.  I'll try to find the link I had read last week.

Here is the fileTo Them of the Last Wagon.pdf

Sheet three of the pdf (p 64 of the original document) is where I'd start.

Edited by Carborendum