Freedom of the Press

I'm not a big fan of Fox News.  I read several different sources (though normally start with Yahoo News) and find that they generally are one of the less reliable news sources at times (though they are not at the bottom of the list by far, there are some that are far worse than Fox News, there are also some that are Better.  I generally prefer AP and Reuters more for example).

This is an instance where I completely agree with Fox News and their support of their reporter.  I am against Chen being able to force the News Caster to reveal her sources, and from what it appears, as the argument is not that the article is incorrect, but rather that they are pushing for sources...it would seem to me that Chen may actually be ADMITTING that the article is actually correct on all counts in many ways...at least that's how I would read it.

Judge holds veteran journalist Catherine Herridge in contempt for refusing to reveal her sources

A federal judge on Thursday held veteran journalist Catherine Herridge in contempt of court, fining her $800 a day for refusing to divulge her sources for a series of stories published in 2017 while she was a correspondent at Fox News.

Herridge, who has aggressively fought the case, is expected to appeal the judge’s decision. The case could have sweeping First Amendment implications for journalists and news organizations across the country.

Herridge, who left Fox News in 2019 and was recently laid off by CBS News, refused in September to disclose the sources used for her stories, defying a court order issued earlier in the year by the US District Court for the District of Columbia. The order from Judge Christopher Cooper came as a result of a lawsuit filed by Chinese American scientist Yanping Chen against the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Here's at least one of the articles that they are wanting sources for

DoD-funded school at center of federal probes over suspected Chinese military ties

Of interest ON sources...this is telling...

Fox News made repeated requests by phone and via email for interviews with Yanping Chen and J. Davidson Frame. After Chen’s daughter said they were too busy to prepare and traveling out of town, Fox News went to their offices in Rosslyn, Va. 

A school representative, who would not identify himself, confirmed Chen and Frame were in the office that day, but after learning Fox News was at the front desk, the couple refused to come out. Fox News’ questions covered how UMT was run, Chen's suspected military ties, whether service members' records are secure, and how millions in taxpayer dollars are spent. 

The actual APA page on Yanping Chen

Yanping Chen

The relavent RCFP page

The privacy act and media leaks

The plaintiff in the case is a Chinese American scientist, Yanping Chen, who owns and runs the University of Management and Technology, based in Arlington, Virginia. Starting in 2010, the FBI initiated a counterintelligence investigation into Chen and UMT, which ended in 2016 with a decision not to bring charges. In 2017, Herridge and Fox News reported out several stories on the probe.

Alleging that the stories contained private information that had been leaked by government officials in violation of the Privacy Act, Chen sued the Justice Department, FBI, Department of Homeland Security, and the Department of Defense, and subpoenaed Fox and Herridge.

Represented by Patrick Philbin, former White House deputy counsel during the Trump administration, Fox and Herridge sought to quash the subpoenas under the longstanding precedent in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, Zerilli v. Smith. That case holds that non-party reporters seeking protection from compelled testimony in civil suits in the D.C. Circuit should prevail save in “exceptional cases,” where the information is central to the plaintiff’s claims and where the plaintiff has exhausted other possible sources for the information sought.

Seeing it is taking the slant more of a civilian case I'd say that Zerilli v. Smith HOLDS precedence even more strongly on this than other cases and as such, the judge is in the wrong here. 

I also think it is suspicious in regards to Chen and their connection and proximity to the US government considering her past and the allegiances and oaths Chinese military officers (not just enlisted...MILITARY OFFICER) need to make to China when inducted into their military.  Even if she is completely innocent, keeping a decent arms length away from Chen probably would be wise...IN MY OWN estimation...for US services and government applications. 

Remember, the Obama administration was caught wire-tapping AP reporters, Nixon had his "plumbers" to try and prevent leaks, & so on. 

As someone in the mainstream media, I can say that there are times where media outlets have either fallen down on the job or went entirely too far. 

However, in this instance I'm not convinced the judge has laid out just why they feel so compelled to force a reporter to divulge their sources.