Reflections on Numbers 1-36: Lessons on Leadership, Faith, and Obedience

As I journeyed through the book of Numbers, I was struck by the rich lessons embedded within its narratives, particularly around leadership, faith, and obedience. This book, often overlooked amidst the more dramatic books of the Old Testament, offers profound insights into God’s guidance, the consequences of our actions, and the importance of community and faithfulness.

One of the most powerful themes that emerged for me was the concept of leadership as demonstrated by Moses. His patience, humility, and dedication in leading a frequently discontented and rebellious people through the wilderness highlight the challenges and responsibilities inherent in leadership. Moses’ interactions with God, his mediation on behalf of the people, and his unwavering commitment to following God’s commands, even in the face of personal sacrifice, offer a compelling model for spiritual and communal leadership.

Faith, or more specifically, the testing and strengthening of faith, is another pivotal theme in Numbers. From the spies’ report of the Promised Land that led to fear and doubt among the Israelites, to the subsequent wandering in the desert, these narratives reveal how faith is tested, lost, and can be restored. The story underscores the importance of trust in God’s promises, even when circumstances seem insurmountable.

Obedience, and the dire consequences of its absence, is a recurring lesson throughout Numbers. The Israelites’ repeated disobedience and lack of faith resulted in a prolonged journey through the wilderness, a tangible manifestation of the repercussions of turning away from God’s commandments. Yet, Numbers also speaks to the mercy and forgiveness of God, who, despite the people’s failures, remains faithful to His covenant.

In reflecting on Numbers, I find myself contemplating the role of faith in my own life. How often do I stand at the edge of my own ‘Promised Land,’ overcome by fear rather than stepping forward in faith? How do I respond to the leadership God has placed in my life? And how am I leading those God has entrusted to me? Numbers challenges me to examine my obedience to God’s commandments, to trust in His provision, and to lead with humility and faithfulness.

I’m curious to hear others’ insights on Numbers. How do you see the themes of leadership, faith, and obedience playing out in your life? How has your study of Numbers impacted your understanding of these themes?

It's been a while since I've read much in the Old Testament but the story of ancient Israel being lead out of captivity, rejecting God, traveling in the wilderness for many years before entering into the promised land is a theme we find all throughout the history of God working His children. It's found all through the scriptures, in the temple, our own church history, and in our individual lives to one degree or another. 

We have stake conference this weekend and one of the speakers in the adult session yesterday referenced Moses ascending up into Mount Sinai to commune with God. It got me thinking about how even though they eventually got into the promised land, the real destination was always in their midst, the temple or tabernacle. And while the temple became the center of their worship they always seem to struggle with moving beyond the physical manifestations of their beliefs into the things of the Spirit. So much so that when God/Jesus in a sense came down out of the mountain to them they still wanted nothing to do with Him unless He was willing to feed them like Moses did.

There are a lot of, I don't want to call them fringe benefits of the gospel because they are important, things like community and a shelter from the world and purpose, but at the end of the day we are individually being asked to ascend up into the mountain of the Lord and commune with Him. But we are sometimes content to just enjoy the manna that membership in the Church brings and ignore or procrastinate the most central point of it all, content in the idea that the promised land is some future destination, meanwhile it's in our very midst.