Question about Malachi 3:1

What does this scripture mean?

Malachi chapter 3

1 Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts.

Who is the messenger the Lord is talking about in this scripture?

What does this scripture mean?

Malachi chapter 3

1 Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts.

Who is the messenger the Lord is talking about in this scripture?

There are actually two messengers being referenced in the verse. The first messenger is John the Baptist (or the "first Elias"). From an LDS perspective, this can also potentially be a reference to Joseph Smith as some believe him to be a "second Elias." This potential latter-day parallel can also be seen in Christ's return to the Kirtland Temple (April of 1836).

The second messenger ("the messenger of the covenant") is Christ.

Thanks for all the responses. I read some commentary on Malachi 3:1 and it says this:

The messenger sent to prepare the way before the Savior's Second Coming could refer to any or all of the following: John the Baptist; Peter, James and John, or the Prophet Joseph Smith.

The messenger sent to prepare the way before the Savior's Second Coming could refer to any or all of the following: John the Baptist; Peter, James and John, or the Prophet Joseph Smith.

I thought the Lord prepared his own way for the Second Coming, and he will come like a thief without further preparation.