Technically, I imagine Nephi may have been justified in killing Laban for the simple fact that Laban attempted to kill him.

Agreed.

I’m not sure what tradition Exodus 21 follows in regards to the DH (since the Brass Plates [at least according to Potter] mainly followed the E tradition)...

I assume by DH you are referring to "Deuteronomical History?"

What criteria did Potter use to connect the Brass Plates with the Elohist source?

...but I think that since they did have the “five books of Moses” (1 Nephi 5:11) that they probably had at least a semblance of the lex talionis and felt a need to adhere to it to some extent while still tied to Israel.

I agree.

The LDS Documentary Hypothesis suggests that the Brass Plates were the E version of the writings of Moses.

According to what evidence is this connection established? I'm honestly just asking, I'm not trying to be snide.

To what extent would Nephi have understood the lex talionis when originally attempting to get the plates from Laban?

Indeed. Although Nephi does point out that he was taught in all the learning of his father. Now what that embraces or entails I suppose we can only guess at.

Maybe if we had the Book of Lehi we could get some insight from the man himself.

I assume by DH you are referring to "Deuteronomical History?"

Hi CK,

Sorry, by DH I was referring to the Documentary Hypothesis. Potter's essay (I believe the version in his book "Ten More Amazing Discoveries" is a bit more in-depth) can be found here: Biblical Scholarship Supports

Kevin Barney has also written a bit about this (although not in the way Potter has), in the Spring 2000 issue of Dialogue.

There is a decent article/discussion on the DH here:

Dave's Mormon Inquiry: The Documentary Hypothesis

It includes reference to my favorite book on the DH: Who Wrote the Bible, by Friedman. And it notes some of Kevin Barney's thoughts on it, including some on his survey he did.

Wikipedia also has a decent article: Documentary hypothesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia