New - joining the MOB

rameumptom

Hello. While I've been on the Internet on LDS forums since 1988, I'm always glad to find a new and interesting place to play.

Name: Gary Smith

live in Indianapolis. Served in Bolivia Santa Cruz mission 1978-80. Currently a high priest group leader.

I've been a member of FAIR for many years, and have spent years defending the Church as an apologist. No apologies needed....

If anyone has any difficult LDS questions, perhaps we can explore them together. I've read dozens of ancient Judaeo-Christian texts and have a decent understanding of just how real of a Restoration we are talking about.

Well, there are a lot of them online you can start with. You can find several good ones at: Early Christian Writings: New Testament, Apocrypha, Gnostics, Church Fathers

I love that site (and its sister site). Speaking of the sister site, do you know of any online translations of Joseph and Aseneth? University of Birmingham has removed it, and I'd really like to read it (as Structurecop [from MA&D] suggested I do, and he rarely suggests reading material for me if it isn't worth it). I've read quite a lot of stuff thus far (mostly in snippets though), but I'm far from being in the dozens range yet. One of these days I'll catch up with you cats that have been doing this for so long.

BTW,

I dont' know if you're familiar with this site, but I've made use of it quite a few times: pseudepigrapha, apocrypha, apocrapha, dead sea scrolls, gnostic, complete book archives, lost books of the Bible, Extra Biblical writings, Church Fathers.

Well, I'm not sure if this is the same as Joseph and Aseneth (I think it might be), but Google books has a volume on ancient texts available that includes a book on Aseneth:

Old Testament Legends: Being Stories ... - Google Book Search

Wikipedia has an article on it here: Joseph and Aseneth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and for your great reading pleasure and excitement, here is the book, divided by chapters:

Joseph & Aseneth: Translated by David Cook (the wiki article has the link, also).

Hi Rameumptom!

I'm really envious of all the reading that you and Stuart have done..I love books, and love collecting them, but it's a different story of my completing reading my massive collections! lol.

One day I may follow the links you've both provided and become a little more savvy of the Ancient Scripts! Thanks for supplying them :)

Pushka,

Glad to be of service. There was a time when I was envious of those who had read everything. I'm now one of those that others envy, but don't really know why they do. I am in the same boat as Socrates: In comparison with all the knowledge out there, I know nothing.

Good to be here. But let's spell the name right. Rameumptom ends with M not N. Here's where Book of Mormon literacy becomes key. :cool:

You think my attempt at spelling difficult words without looking it up is bad? Just wait until you see the ones where the poster obviously doesn't even bother to sound out the word.