Dayenu

During the passover seder it is a common practice to sing this song.  It has 15 or more verses.  I’ll list the first two.

Refrain
Dai, dayenu, dai dayenu,
Dai dayenu, dayenu, dayenu, dayenu (repeat)

1. Ilu hotzi hotzianu
Hotzianu mimitzrayim,
Hotzianu mimitzrayim,
Dayenu Refrain

2. Ilu natan natan lanu
Natan lanu et hatorah
Natan lanu et hatorah
Dayenu  Refrain

In english -

1. Had he brought us out of Egypt,
Only brought us out of Egypt,
Had he brought us out of Egypt,
It would have been enough.

2. Had he given us the Torah,
Only given us the Torah,
Had he given us the Torah,
It would have been enough.

I was thinking about the song during fast and testimony meeting and I realized that even if there was no hope of salvation or exaltation.  That my life, as is, has been enough.  

I have learned and grown so much.  I have experienced love and a wonderful family.  I know right from wrong and know why doing the right thing brings joy.  I love the scriptures and know that God lives.

Last summer, I came home from a busy day at work, pretty spent and possibly a bit irritable (I don’t even remember the circumstances).  But I do remember that my 14 year old daughter, without any direction, prepared and presented me with a perfect BLT sandwich.  And I mean better than restaurant quality.  

After I had eaten the first half of the sandwich, I commented to my wife that the experience was worth the trip.  She said, what trip?  And I replied, the trip here to Earth.  

And I meant it.  

Edited by mikbone