Hebrews 12:9

lds_sister2

What is this scripture questioning?

"Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection to the Father of spirits, and live?"

I know it is talking about Heavenly Father versus our earthly parents...yet, what exactly is it asking?

Can it kinda be compared to Matthew 10:37?

"He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me"

I meant to ask the elders in my ward this yesterday and I forgot...so what do you guys think??

Hi lds_sister2.

I hope you are having a great day. I think that is a great scripture, and one that can really benefit our souls when reading it in context through the entire Chapter of Hebrews 12. The chapter begins talking about Jesus Christ who obeyed the law perfectly unto death. It says in verse 3 for us to consider him when we think that our temptations to sin are too great, for He is the only one that perfectly endured all temptation, even unto death on the cross.

The scriptures then go on to speak about the Lord chastising those whom He loves as His children. In verse seven it says,

If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chastiseth not?

It says in the next verse (8) that if the Lord does not chastise (discipline) us then we would not be considered His children. Verse 9 compares our relationship to our Father in Heaven to our earthly parents. It says that we have given reverence (or respect) to our earthly parents, so how much more are we to respect our Heavenly Father because of His discipline, or as the verse says, being in subjection to the Father of Spirits? I think it is important to remember that respect often alludes to our trust. We respect our parents because we trust that they are looking out for our best interest.

The next verse actually answers the question asked in verse 9. Verse 10 says:

For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness.

Essentially that verse says that our natural parents have disciplined us the best they know how, and yet our Heavenly Father perfectly disciplines us out of His love for us and for our good. As His children, He does these things out of His love for us, and Heavenly Father demonstrated His love for us through the atonement of Jesus Christ.

As you read the rest of the chapter, the scripture that stands out that is the glue to all of this is in verse 27:

And this word, Yet once more, signifieth the removing of those things that are shaken, as of things that are made, that those things which cannot be shaken may remain.

That which cannot be shaken is the Lord Jesus Christ, on whom our faith is founded. The chastisement (discipline) of the Lord helps shake away all the things that are not of Him, and ultimately shows that Jesus Christ is the unshakable Savior of the World.

• 1 month later...

The parent of our "earthly flesh" - does not necessarily even mean our physical parents. It can also reference the experiences of this mortal life that we live and the choices, thus consequences that are a part of this life.

Meaning "life" in itself is a parent or teacher. This understanding to me is more universally relevant to individuals, as many cannot or do not, for various reasons "reverence" their earthly parents... nor should they.

But we must all submit to the consequences of this mortal training ground "as" a type of parent.

The natural consequences that we experience in mortality, it being like a "parent" can be likened unto an imperfect teacher without the law. No law.... no understanding of the lesson.

Jesus Christ is the law. If we keep His commandments... He is then able to bless us as a consequence. We empower His atonement on our behalf.

If we do not know the law, or we don't keep a law... then our benefit is very small from an eternal perspective.

We are always blessed according to law. Ultimately everyone will know the law. They will understand the use of law and therefore choose to live the law or not.

Chastisement is simply consequences of choices made in this mortal existence. To find ourselves chastised - is to find a lack of God's protection... which can only come through obedience to covenants.

Covenants, or keeping His law... provides protection from the consequence of chastisements... which are merely meant to bring us to Christ - so that we really THINK before we act.

This is why "chastisement" or these negative consequences are allowed. They are from a loving Heavenly Father who "gave" us opposition and agency... they WE may learn.... to choose the good or God. This is the total opposite of Satan's plan. He is a poor parent and also the God of this "world"... interesting , huh?

Mortality is learning how to ACT and not be ACTED upon... thus by the law we are justified or protected.

Jesus Christ is the great Law Giver... and the LAW. He is a perfect parent when we choose to follow His commandments versus the ways of the world; that will only cause us to get beat up over and over and over - until we submit to HIS law.

No earthly parent can ever save their own child through their fallible parenting. Therefore, the parent is "mortality". As we all know... this earth - as a perfect parent is filling the measure of It's Creation... and will as well.

tDMg

LdsNana-AskMormon

What is this scripture questioning?

"Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection to the Father of spirits, and live?"

I know it is talking about Heavenly Father versus our earthly parents...yet, what exactly is it asking?

Can it kinda be compared to Matthew 10:37?

"He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me"

I meant to ask the elders in my ward this yesterday and I forgot...so what do you guys think??

Hebrews 12:9 = Numbers 16:22 [sometime refers back to Mathew 6:9]

• 4 weeks later...

I think it's a rhetorical question: it has an obvious answer, and doesn't need any particular complex interpretation. If we obey earthly or fleshly parents who are only temporary, how much more should we obey the Father of our spirit, Who is eternal? K.I.S.S. brothers and sisters: keep it simple, Saints. (Originally, it was "stupid" for the last word, but I don't want to be insulting, and "Saints" fits nicely, no?) Our Jewish cousins missed Christ the first time around because they were " . . . looking beyond the mark." (Jac. 4: 14.)