Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Argentina84

This is one of my favourite books. And it's a classic. I thought of analysing its teachings, in order to make the most of it.

I will start quoting one of my favourite parts:

Mr Bennet tells Lizzy: " You have sense, and we all expect you to use it"

It reminds me of my own father telling me more or less the same. Sometimes we don't use our "intelligence" for our best. We should.

Any fave quote? Any comment? Conclusions?

Thanks!

Hidden

It was, perhaps, one of those cases in which advice is good or bad only as the event decides.

I like her quotes, possibly because they're so tongue-in-cheek. There's an element of seriousness behind the joke. Jane was making a comment on how readily we decide that good advice is in fact bad advice following the outcome.

You have sense and we all expect you to use it: it was Mrs Gardiner.

I just watched a PBS movie about Jane Austen and then saw "Becoming Jane" on DVD. I simply love Jane Austen. How can you not love someone who defied all conventions of her day and wrote the most tremendous characters who were so rich with emotion and complexity. It is ironic that the thing she understood so well.....romantic love and attachment......was the thing denied her. She understood irony so well too! Love her work. I am enriched by experiencing it.

My wifes favourite story...

CS Lewis quotes "Pride and Prejudice" in "Mere Christianity", using a conservation about balls between Mr Bingley and Elizabeth to illustrate that practicality isn't the full measure of why people should do things.