Blessings

Guest dancingqueen12

Guest dancingqueen12

I need help on if i should get my patriarchal blessing or not. I feel that i really need to get mine done so i will have a will to continue to follow the gosple in order to have those great blessings patriarchal blessings tell you. i'm only 12 years old but i feel that i am a grown up woman traped in a 12 year old body. I know that if i do get mine now i may be upset and regret that i got it young. i personally feel that i need it now but i think i need a second oppinion and that i need some advice.

please help,

taylor :(:huh:

DQ12-

I got mine when I was 15. I wish I had prepared a bit more for it (as I feel about a lot of thing being 10 days away from my mission) but I in no way feel bad that I got it at that age. A Patriachal Blessing is your personal scripture that you interpret for yourself. You're interpretation of the things in it may change over time depending on how things go, and that will happen no matter what age you get it at. While I think you could probably hold out a bit longer for preperation sake, you should go talk to your bishop about it and if you still feel - with his guidance - that you should get it then go for it.

Good Advice Jason :)

"I feel that i really need to get mine done so i will have a will to continue to follow the gosple in order to have those great blessings patriarchal blessings tell you."

This is an interesting comment. Although the Patriarchal Blessing is good and wonderful I have always considered living gospel it's own reward. Of course there are many thing available to tempt us everyday so we must choose to live righteously because of the peace we get from within.

Guest Starsky

Patriarchial blessings grow with your understanding. What they say to you at 12 will mean many different things as you grow older and have more experience.

Remember one thing...these blessings are revelation....they will never be invalid...no matter how young or old...it is for your life....not just for this or that time in your life.

However, I don't know that they will allow you to get it that young. Our sons tried to get it that young and they were told to wait by the leadership.

Everyone is correct...well except Jason :P

You need to be spiritually and mentally prepared for your blessing. You need to talk to your parents, to your bishop, and to your Patriarch..not to strangers on a message board.

I got mine at 15...I found it very comforting, but most of it didn't make sense. That was 10 years ago and my interpretation of everything has changed dramatically since then. Truths that I didn't understand before have become beacons of light.

This is something that you need to decide on your own...w/ a little help from the above mentioned people.

Guest Chell

Originally posted by Luzia@Jun 14 2004, 01:02 PM

I got mine two years ago, I wish I had waited. Honestly.

I feel like a 40 year old woman trapped in a 19 year old body, nothing out of normal, I guess. But, again, I wish I had waited.

Luzia,

Could you explain more of what you mean?

Guest Ruthie-chan

I was 12 when I got mine. That was 13 years ago.

My advice to you is to fast and pray about it.

Talk to your parents and your bishop for advice as well.

Originally posted by dancingqueen12@Jun 13 2004, 10:48 PM

I need help on if i should get my patriarchal blessing or not. I feel that i really need to get mine done so i will have a will to continue to follow the gosple in order to have those great blessings patriarchal blessings tell you. i'm only 12 years old but i feel that i am a grown up woman traped in a 12 year old body. I know that if i do get mine now i may be upset and regret that i got it young. i personally feel that i need it now but i think i need a second oppinion and that i need some advice.

please help,

taylor :(:huh:

The younger you are when you get it, the more things will be on it. Typically, 14 yr olds get theirs, but those younger can get theirs if they are mature enough...

as Ex-Mormon Jason said, ask you parents. I will add, talk to your bishop as well, and maybe even your patriarch.

if you're looking to get it because you want to have more strenght and follow what's right, it's probably not right for you to get it yet.

now i know i odn't know oyu and all. but i felt that i was ready for mine, (16), when i was able to live the gospel without it. i had enough strength with my scriptures and doctrine, that i fel that i was worthy for personal revelation. if you feel that oyu need it to continue to live worthyly, it probably isn't the right time.

Originally posted by deepthinker@Jun 24 2004, 03:54 AM

if you're looking to get it because you want to have more strenght and follow what's right, it's probably not right for you to get it yet.

now i know i odn't know oyu and all. but i felt that i was ready for mine, (16), when i was able to live the gospel without it. i had enough strength with my scriptures and doctrine, that i fel that i was worthy for personal revelation. if you feel that oyu need it to continue to live worthyly, it probably isn't the right time.

I hate to ask, but isn't that the whole point of a patriarchal blessing, to give you strength and advice for when you are struggling?

I got my patriachal blessing when I was 26 shortly after I joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Later Day Saints so I have no real experience. I would say that not only is discussing this with your Parents and Bishop great advice but you might also try going to the Lord in Prayer and see what He feels about it. I am sure He will give you and answer.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bizabra

My experience with patriachal blessings is that they are generic in nature, with a bit of personal tidbits thrown in if the patriarch is intelligent and insightful, but that they are as useful and informative and personal as an astrological reading.

PB are a "feel good" thing. Kind of like getting a reading from Sylvia Brown about your dearly departed. Makes you feel good and somehow in touch with the "mysteries".

However, at least THE CHURCH doesn't charge you an arm and a leg for it like she does.

BTW, I got mine when I was 16.

Guest Starsky

Originally posted by bizabra@Jul 4 2004, 09:41 AM

My experience with patriachal blessings is that they are generic in nature, with a bit of personal tidbits thrown in if the patriarch is intelligent and insightful, but that they are as useful and informative and personal as an astrological reading.

PB are a "feel good" thing.  Kind of like getting a reading from Sylvia Brown about your dearly departed.  Makes you feel good and somehow in touch with the "mysteries".

However, at least THE CHURCH doesn't charge you an arm and a leg for it like she does.

BTW, I got mine when I was 16.

They are hardly comparable to astrilogical readings....LOL

Mine is very personal...and doesn't make me feel good at all....infact I was so mad at what mine said and didn't say that I insisted upon having another one....which was given by a totally different guy....

but it stated almost the exact same thing....and more of it....with an admonition to repent ..... because of my unbelief.....

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by Jenda+Jun 24 2004, 10:44 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jenda @ Jun 24 2004, 10:44 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--deepthinker@Jun 24 2004, 03:54 AM

now i know i odn't know oyu and all. but i felt that i was ready for mine, (16), when i was able to live the gospel without it. i had enough strength with my scriptures and doctrine, that i fel that i was worthy for personal revelation.  if you feel that oyu need it to continue to live worthyly, it probably isn't the right time.

I hate to ask, but isn't that the whole point of a patriarchal blessing, to give you strength and advice for when you are struggling?

what i meant was that, if you NEED your patriarchal blessing to live the gospel, you're probably not ready. You need to be able to stand on your owntwo feet doctrinally. i dunno, this probably doesn't make sense. lol. but i jsut think that if you're floundering, you're not ready. i think, at the time that oyu get it, you need to know for yourself, you need to be doctrinally sound. --the gospel according to me, lol.