M. Russell Ballard - LDS Mormon 178th General Conference

Heather

M. Russell Ballard talk on Motherhood and particularly his focus on young mothers...

He said... all are beloved of God.

*There is no role in life more essential and more eternal than that of motherhood.

*Choice in motherhood are different for all women... some may need to work a portion of the time when children are young... keeping with the devotion and love for their children, above all else.

*If a child lives with parents or 18 to 19 years... the child's life, this represents 1/10th of the total time of their lives... teach them all that we can before they leave our homes

*mothers and fathers equal responsibility

*He believes that the mother primarily is responsible for the nurture of their children... motherhood and putting children first can be difficult!

*Mother's emotions that accompany her commitment to mother.. mothers may feel that they receive little or no appreciation... husbands don't always seem to recognize the contribution of their wife's

Elder Ballard proceeds to ask and answer four question:

1. Q - what can you do as a young mother to reduce the pressure and enjoy your family first?

*Joy of motherhood comes in moments,... there will be shining moments in the process! Biggest mistake... I did not live in the moment and the moment passes and cannot be gotten back.

*Wished he personally had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing...

*Don't over schedule yourself or your children.

many options to engage ourselves and children... pressure for parents to do a lot with and 'for' their children!

*Families need unstructured time when parenting can take place.

*As you try to cut out the extras... find time for yourself, pick out one or two things you enjoy doing and cultivate these. You must be replenished, so that you have to give.

*Avoid any kind of substance abuse thinking it will help you to accomplish more. Don't let your time be taken up by T.V. or surfing the net.

*Pray deeply and study the gospel... seek inspiration for your responsibility

2. What more can a husband do to support his wife in the nurture of the children,

*notice things and say thank you often, have a regular time to talk with your wife about each child.

*give your wife a day away every once in a while

*come home from work and take an active role with your families...

3. What can children, even young children do?

*simple things you can do to help your mother

*pick up toys when done

*make bed

*help with dishes without being asked to help

*say thank you when a meal or story has been provides, clean clothes in your drawer

*put your arms around your mother and tell her that you love her

4. What can the church do?

*many things,

*He suggest that bishoprics, and ward counsels are aware of what they are being asked to do at this time in their life

*behold i say unto you.... are great things brought to pass

*hopes all of the dear sisters married or single... feel loved, respect, appreciate the influence in protecting the family...

*family is central to the creators plan to the eternal destiny of God's Children... prepare together now to be together eternally

*God to continually bless the women in the church to find and understand the calling of motherhood

Remarks about President Thomas S. Monson...

*has known since he was 22...

*watch the lord prepare him for this Day,

*and adds his testimony that he is a prophet of God, divine calling

*that Jesus is the Christ and this is his Church,

*we are doing his work of which he testified.

These are my simple notes, until text is available - perhaps this will help others recall this wonderful talk that he delivered about mothers:-)

tDMg

LdsNana

(I am sure I missed a million things, but some of you will remember others from you notes, etc...)

I loved this talk its first time in awhile I have walked away from a talk on Motherhood without extra burdens and actually feeling like my burdens had been lightened. I remember saying I would love to see more talks like this at conference that made me grow closer to the Lord but kept things in perspective so I felt like actually yes I could do better but I am alright. There were lots of them but this was the best - ok Sisters just how many boxes of cookies should M Russell Ballard get for this talk?

-Charley

I loved this talk! I am happy the church has been focusing on not overscheduling ourselves. We miss the sweetest moments when we are constantly busy. I've known families that had every hour of the day booked and things fell apart. They were never even able to have dinner together.

My bishop has a sign in his office stating: "Simplify." He and I both live by that counsel.

My bishop has a sign in his office stating: "Simplify." He and I both live by that counsel.

That's awesome! :D

I serve on the Enrichment Committee now and I try to remind everyone that we don't have to go overboard. One sister drove herself nuts making a display of past Relief Society Presidents. She stayed up past midnight every night for a week and she and her husband have 7 children combined! It was cool, but we didn't really need it.

Here is the transcript for the talk.

Daughters of God