Answers to prayer

I think that it is interesting, just as I examine my own prayers, how much I sometimes assume certain ideas as being completely true. I sometimes wonder when I talk to other members of the church. I sometimes see that my answers or insight are slightly different or maybe I see someone with more depth or insight and I wonder at my own lack there of.

Anyway, I have been very concerned these last few years about discerning truth when I am reading something or hearing something to make sure that I anchor myself to the right things.

Here is an example. It is probably not the best example but I will share it anyway. I was in a conversation with someone about anger. And I was told, with scriptures to back it up, that anger was of the devil and was not a characteristic of a follower of Christ. I was told that Christ never had anger. Never felt anger. And that even feeling anger was a sign of unrighteousness.

Well, at first glance that looks really right to me. Anger can produce some really awful and destructive things. But the above description didn't feel complete to me. I was studying anger as part of my emotional recovery work and I learned how important anger is. And how essential it is to the make up of the psyche. I also learned what role anger was to play and how it can be a very valuable tool if used properly. I thought about it. I think that I have come to the conclusion that having anger isn't where the sin lies. It is in the choices we make about the anger we feel. Controlling our passions may be more important than suppressing them. My new theory is that controlled anger can actually bring about much good.

I felt like HF was teaching me throughout my study. Teaching me to understand myself better. Teaching me not to punish my emotions but to meet them with kindness and wisdom. I read 2 Nephi 2 a lot. And tried to understand where the sin parts of anger fit into my thoughts and feelings. I read other scriptures too.

I guess I just wanted to say that I think prayer and pondering is such a wonderful experience. I love these kinds of nuggets of wisdom. Perhaps I don't understand everything. My learning certainly isn't over. But I felt spirit open the eyes of my understanding.

I guess I just wonder sometimes if we understand something and make the assumption that we understand everything about that thing, because of certain Spirit feelings. But then fail to inquire into further questioning. I think I love what happens when I allow myself to think outside my box and then let the Spirit fill in the blanks.

Wherefore, it speaketh of things as they really are, and of things as they really will be; wherefore, these things are manifested unto us plainly, for the salvation of our souls. Jacob 4:13

Hidden

2Tim:3:16: All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

We need to line everything up with the Word of God and pray to the Lord that He will lead us into all truth so that we will never be deceived. Many times, I have encountered something that a preacher had said that didn't

quite "sound right" to me. I asked the Lord to show me His truth and by reading the Bible and looking further into the chapter, I found that what that preacher was preaching was totally out of context and actually false doctrine.

Be careful to line ALL things up with the Word of God...trust no one to do

it for you. Pray to the Lord to help you and to lead you always into truth so that you will not be deceived.

This is my hearts desire for people! That they would have clarity in discernment in today's world. But this starts with God's word (bible) that you may spot a conterfeit a mile away with any subject matter.

One of the hardest things for people to do in general is read their bible. They will read commentaries, other books, other people's writings etc to learn about God but not their bible. I really believe this is one of the great works that Satan can do to decieve someone, is keep them out of God's word in any way, shape or form.

2Tim:3:16: All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

We need to line everything up with the Word of God and pray to the Lord that He will lead us into all truth so that we will never be deceived. Many times, I have encountered something that a preacher had said that didn't

quite "sound right" to me. I asked the Lord to show me His truth and by reading the Bible and looking further into the chapter, I found that what that preacher was preaching was totally out of context and actually false doctrine.

Be careful to line ALL things up with the Word of God...trust no one to do

it for you. Pray to the Lord to help you and to lead you always into truth so that you will not be deceived.

Many of these doctrines out there really seem Biblically correct. The false teachers will even tell you that, "it is Biblically correct" but they are not biblically correct and they are preaching a false gospel and "another jesus" not found in the Bible. A few examples of false teaching/dogma:

1) There is the "Prosperity" Doctrine that says, "Give to our ministry and you will get a hundred fold. Give $1000 and expect $100,000."

2) There is the "Jesus suffered in hell, became born again and died spiritually" doctrine. Pure and outright Blasphemy!! Jesus was and is God and never sinned--He is the spotless Lamb of God. His precious blood atoned for our sin. His death upon the Cross was ALL-sufficient. 1Peter 1:19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:

False preachers (Word of Faith) who preach the "born again Jesus" doctrine say that Jesus suffered in hell for three days in order to redeem us. This is

NOT true. One has only to open up and read the Scriptures in the Gospel

where Jesus says to the thief on the cross; "Today, you will be with me in Paradise." And when Jesus died, He said "It is Finished!" And the veil in the Temple (Holy of Holies) was torn right down the middle, signifying that Jesus indeed did accomplish all at the cross. For Jesus became the perfect sacrifice for sin. He did not have to suffer in hell for us. He suffered so very, very

much for us while dying on the cross. His blood was shed-- that is why we have redemption. Hebrews 9:22 says, And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.

Rev 5:9 And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;

Heb 9:26 For then must He often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.

Heb 10:12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever,

sat down on the right hand of God;

Rom 5:10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

3) There is the "We have to pray to Mary to reach God" dogma. They claim that she is the intercessor and will pray and make petitions to God on our behalf. This is blasphemy. The Bible says Jesus is the Mediator between God and man...not Mary! 1Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Heb 7:25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

Rom 8:34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

These three false doctrines are not even in the Bible and easily exposed in the light of the Scriptures above. That is why it is so very important for us to know the Bible and what it says and where to find the verses.

2Cor 11:4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

2Tim 3:13 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.

Gal 1:6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:

Gal 1:7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.

2Peter 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

Copyright © 2001-2004 Cobblestone Road Ministries

All Rights Reserved

WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY?

THAT IS THE QUESTION!

We Believe

About Us

Christian Articles

Message Board

Guest Book

Links Page 1

Links Page 2

Recipe Links

Health Links

Women's Corner

EMAIL US

Further Research:

What's Wrong with the Prosperity Gospel?

Did Mary Have Other Children- Was Mary Without Sin?

Did Jesus Suffer In Hell? The Bible says, "No"

Is The Generational Curses Doctrine Biblical?

Was Judas Ever Saved? The Bible answer is "No"

Laying Up Treasures...The New Reformation

Demon Possessed Damsel in Acts 16??

Spiritually Childproofing Your Home

We are listed in the following directories. We do not necessarily endorse all the sites listed in the topsites below. Just because one labels a site, "christian" does not make it biblical. So please use discernment when visiting any link:

2 Tim 3:16 "All scripture is given by inspiration of God is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction for instruction in righteousness"

This is my hearts desire that people would have clarity in discernment but this starts with staying in God's word. One of the hardest things for people to do is stay in God's word the bible. They will read everything under the sun to try to understand it but not read it for themselves and asking God to show them Him. Many times i have sat under a preacher to only hear what just did not sound right and learn that they had taken some verse out of context or was actually teaching a completley false doctrine altogether.

I think that it is interesting, just as I examine my own prayers, how much I sometimes assume certain ideas as being completely true. I sometimes wonder when I talk to other members of the church. I sometimes see that my answers or insight are slightly different or maybe I see someone with more depth or insight and I wonder at my own lack there of. (snip)

I guess I just wanted to say that I think prayer and pondering is such a wonderful experience. I love these kinds of nuggets of wisdom. Perhaps I don't understand everything. My learning certainly isn't over. But I felt spirit open the eyes of my understanding.

I guess I just wonder sometimes if we understand something and make the assumption that we understand everything about that thing, because of certain Spirit feelings. But then fail to inquire into further questioning. I think I love what happens when I allow myself to think outside my box and then let the Spirit fill in the blanks.

Yes! YES! Soooo RIGHT! Excellent! Keep it up!

HiJolly

I love the scriptures too. I have been taught and reproved and instructed by them. And I am so amazed at how the Spirit can take a verse or event that happened so long ago, and somehow fit it perfectly to my circumstances. It is always a humbling and even exciting process.

Here is an example. It is probably not the best example but I will share it anyway. I was in a conversation with someone about anger. And I was told, with scriptures to back it up, that anger was of the devil and was not a characteristic of a follower of Christ. I was told that Christ never had anger. Never felt anger. And that even feeling anger was a sign of unrighteousness.

]

I am not sure this is a correct assumption about Jesus. Keep in mind we are made in his image and while on this earth he had the same passions etc. that we have. Specifically, I am talking about anger here. Review John below.

John 2:

13 ¶ And the Jews’ passover was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem,

14 And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of amoney sitting:

15 And when he had made a ascourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers’ money, and overthrew the tables;

16 And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father’s house an house of merchandise.

His actions above describe to me a son (man) who was angry at those who descrated his Father's (Gods) house.

We must learn to control our passions, but that does not mean that at times it is not justified to feel them and excersise them in righteousness.

Lilered,

Thank you. That was my feeling as well. Jesus was certainly tempted and tried just like the rest of us. I don't think there is an emotion that he doesn't understand.

Alma 7:12

12 And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities.

Emotions are a part of being human...and I believe God knew what he was doing when He made us. We can misuse our intellect, we can misuse our will, we can misuse our freedom. So, also, we can allow our emotions (which can be a guide and motivation to good works) to guide us to harm others. Anger is not the problem. We are.

2 Tim 3:16 "All scripture is given by inspiration of God is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction for instruction in righteousness"

This is my hearts desire that people would have clarity in discernment but this starts with staying in God's word. One of the hardest things for people to do is stay in God's word the bible. They will read everything under the sun to try to understand it but not read it for themselves and asking God to show them Him. Many times i have sat under a preacher to only hear what just did not sound right and learn that they had taken some verse out of context or was actually teaching a completley false doctrine altogether.

I've had that experience too. It can be so easy to take something out of context and make it into a subject it was never intended to be in order to make a personal point rather than teach what the Lord was trying to teach.