Adam and Eve

Guest tomk

This leaves me with an interesting question - was the earth made for man or was man made for the earth?

I believe that Earth was made for God's creations, but especially for man. And I see that for man to dwell here, we needed prior creations to prepare the earth for us. All of that oil was made from dead and dying dinosaurs. All of that coal was made from dead, compressed trees. The earth had to develop an atmospheric environment (trees, etc) that was good for man. The universe had to settle down some, as it would not have been a good thing to place men on earth back when many comets and meteors were constantly pelting our planet.

So, I see God as using these creation/destruction cycles as the way to prepare earth for us, AND to allow all his creations a time upon an earth. Personally, I prefer living here now than during the times of dinosaurs or the Ice Age....

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to note Pres Packer's most recent General Conference talk, where he says that he isn't any more special than any other member that does his/her best to follow God.

Remember, The apostolic calling is not to determine things like evolution, but doctrine. As it is, Nibley doesn't state that evolution has occurred. He is stating that there were animals and human-like beings prior to Adam. The LDS scriptures and the dirt tell us that there have been many Creation/Destruction cycles throughout the Earth's history. 250M years ago, over 90% of all animals were destroyed, allowing for dinosaurs to replace them. Then 65M years ago, the dinosaurs were wiped out, allowing mammals to take over the earth. Finally, 10,000 years ago was an Ice Age that wiped out many species, including several human-like species, such as Neanderthals.

This would open the door for God to create a special man and woman, Adam and Eve, who would be the ones chosen to bear the priesthood gift to all the world, and through whose loins would be born Jesus Christ.

So you don't believe that death entered the world with the fall of Adam?

When God commanded all things to multiply in their own respective spheres, was it not a new command? or was He just formally laying down the commandment for this world of what was already happening for aeons before?

Before the fall, Adam and Eve couldn't die, right? But plants and animals could? I don't get it.

Guest tomk

I wasn't going to do this because it was a profound spiritual moment the day I was taught this, and I don't want to ruin it for any of you who may discover this in the future. But, I feel moved to post this anyway.

Genesis 2:

24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

25 And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.

Now, Adam had no knowledge of good or evil at this point, and no knowledge of procreation. In fact, I can show you scriptures where God used fruit to teach Adam about how procreation works. Think of the first plant life created...

Genesis 1:

11 And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.

12 And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

13 And the evening and the morning were the third day.

What kind of trees did God place in the garden to represent the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, and more importantly, the tree of life?

Hmmmm, the Tree of Life is a fruit tree with seed within itself that bears fruit after it's kind. I can promise you that a course of study along this line will lead you to amazing places, taking you to the sacrament and eating flesh. Is not Christ the "firstfruits" of those that rose from the earth? Is He not the Word of God made flesh? Aren't seeds used to portray the word of God in several stories and parables? Are we not supposed to feast on the word of God?

I know this seems off topic, but trust me, it isn't. We were taken from the "dust of the earth," or mother earth. You break the surface and place a seed inside. If you tend to the planted seed then a remarkable thing happens. It brings forth a tree of it's kind with more fruit with seeds of it's kind. It doesn't matter what kind of seed you plant in the earth, it will yield it's own kind once planted. I know that seems insignificant, because it seems so elementary to us. But, it's pretty amazing as a teaching tool if you think about it. God was teaching Adam that he was seed after His kind.

Adam was speaking about his Heavenly Father and Heavenly Mother in Genesis 2: 24. He knew he and Eve would have seed at some point, because he was commanded to multiply and replenish the earth.

and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth

If you gain nothing else from this discussion, you can at least take God's word for what a fruit is, then you will know of a surety that a tomato is a fruit. :)

Finally, look at what Eve said very closely:

Moses 5:

11 And Eve, his wife, heard all these things and was glad, saying: Were it not for our transgression we never should have had seed, and never should have known good and evil, and the joy of our redemption, and the eternal life which God giveth unto all the obedient.

Seed=fruit to eat to live mortally (which also led to making a choice)

Seed=children which brings the greatest happiness

Seed=word of God to inherit eternal life

Christ literally is the Bread of Life, or the Flesh of Life.

What really happened to Him in Gethsemane and on Golgotha (shedding His blood) is really the cause for all eternal life. He shed His blood, not like you can I, but shed it completely. Just as Adam fell from immortality to mortality, Christ shed His blood and changed His mortal body to an immortal one.

I am trying to agree with Justice here, but may fail in my attempt.

One subtlety here (and nobody needs to agree with me) is that the "great drops of blood" shed in the Garden, during the scourging, and on the cross --- they signify something to us ---- they signify MUCH MUCH more than **JUST** the PAIN Christ endured. If we focus on how horrible His suffering was, we only make it halfway across the bridge. What precious thing was lost DURING His suffering?

Blood.

He lost His blood during all of this. A lot of blood. Perhaps all of it.

We're told to ponder THE BODY and THE BLOOD during the Sacrament prayers.

As we do, we come to the realization that Christ was walking around BLOODLESS before He finally, voluntarily, gave up His life. No man could take it from Him. He must have known this -- if not theoretically before -- then certainly just from the empirical evidence He could see in His own existence -- that He was walking around BLOODLESS -- and could continue to do so forever and ever and ever.

HE HAD CONQUERED DEATH ALREADY, BEFORE HE DIED.

There was no possible way He could still be alive - and yet He continued to live!!!!!! Such was the case because of His divine parentage. Immortal Father and Mortal Mother.

Don't answer this -- but just ponder this in your hearts:

Mortal Man + Mortal Mother -- Physical Bodies - Mortal Children

Immortal Man + Immortal Mother -- Immortal Spirit Children

But wait a minute.

Don't answer this -- but think about it -- are they only limited to spirit children? Immortal Man was once Mortal Man. Immortal Mother was once Mortal Mother. Mortal Man + Mortal Mother produce what?

Immortal Man + Mortal Mother -- Physical Body, able to die, but also able to keep death at bay forever. Jesus Christ.

But wait -- I thought Heavenly Father -- Immortal Man -- could only make spirit bodies. A lot of people believe this is the ONLY body Exalted Couples can produce.

Instead of shrugging our shoulders -- extrapolate from the ONLY BEGOTTEN IN THE FLESH --- Immortal Father participating in a fleshy creation .... now take your thoughts back in time to Adam and Eve -- created as what -- Immortal Man and Immortal Woman.

and I'll throw this one in:

Mortal Man + Immortal Mother -- offspring status?

THANK YOU, JUSTICE --- for exposing me to these concepts, way back when.

So you don't believe that death entered the world with the fall of Adam?

When God commanded all things to multiply in their own respective spheres, was it not a new command? or was He just formally laying down the commandment for this world of what was already happening for aeons before?

Before the fall, Adam and Eve couldn't die, right? But plants and animals could? I don't get it.

Define "earth" when it comes to Adam. Was it the entire planet, the Garden of Eden, or something in between?

Death was on the earth in prior creations. LDS tradition suggests that the earth, or at least the portion Adam was on (the Garden of Eden) was in orbit around Kolob, and that there was a literal fall away from that orbit into the current telestial realm. When one studies the Creation story, it doesn't fit for the Sun and moon and stars to be created, but then for Adam to be in an orbit circling Kolob, unless the portion of the planet he was on, was in a different orbit than the rest of the earth.

So, it is very easy to consider that there was no death in the Garden where Adam was in his spiritual-physical immortal state.

Some recent posts have got me thinking.

They have reminded me of one question I have always had about Adam and Eve "replenishing the earth." The question formed in my mind when I began to learn about genetics and when I first understood that serious physical and mental complications can flow from sisters marrying brothers (inbreeding). I have heard that some religious sects are running into this. The Amish. The FLDS. There are not enough peolpe in the gene pool.

If anyone needs links to understand where I am coming from in my thinking, I am happy to do more digging and find some links to back up what I am saying.

So -- what happened with Adam and Eve? How did their children find suitable mates? Did they marry each other? Was their DNA different than it is now? Somehow more pure and not impacted by inbreeding? And what about the "uuugh" factor of marrying your own sister or brother. Creepy!

Before responding to this....take a deep breath....and realize I am not trying to cast doubt or be "anti" in the least. I am genuinely curious. I can happily live the rest of my life not understanding this. I already realize it does not impact my salvation. Or does it? God says He wants us to understand His mysteries. So here I am.

I guess what I am trying to understand is -- have the Brethren responded to this question officially?

What do I tell people when they ask? I mean, if I don't even know the answer -- how can I respond to others? Do I just give them the "canned response" of "We don't fully understand this, but one day we'll find out" ?

What answer do missionaries give when asked this question?

As time went on and sin continued so did the decline in dna genetics..The earth was perfect and it continued to get more infested with diseases and death. That is why Adam and Eve and for my years after people were able to mary within their family but now that would no longer be possible.

Also did you know that science recently has discovered that if you have kids with your cousin you will actually concieve more??? I need to find that article on foxnews.com..it was so great..

All things were created spiritually before they were created physically. In the spiritual creation it was man who was created first. Then, in the physical creation it was man who was created last. All things were created perfect by God, meaning there was no death, pain, or suffering. The fall of Adam brought death, disease, and suffering into the world.

It is interesting exactly HOW God made the physical creation.

I challenge you to pray for understanding, then slowly read the account of creation. The one in Genesis will do just fine, but you can read the one in the Pearl of Great Price, too, if you want.

I just may start a new thread about the creation, since it may not belong here. You'll be very surprised how much is actually written in Genesis about how the creation happened.

...and yes, it's perfectly logical.

Believe it or not, the key is to really understand the first verse. There are so many misunderstood words in verse 1: beginning, God, created, heaven, earth. Through modern day revelation we have answers to some of those words. We know what "beginning" it's speaking of. We know that "God" is the premortal Jehova, or Jesus Christ (or Him acting for Heavenly Father). We know "created" does not mean "from nothing." So, focus on understanding exactly what is meant by "heaven and earth" and the understanding comes.

Genesis 1:

1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

Instead of trying to guess what God meant by "heaven and earth," look for His definitions in the early verses of chapter 1. You might get goosebumps. :)

Genesis 1:

8 And God called the firmament Heaven...

10 And God called the dry land Earth...

Now, just read the story of the creation, once you understand what firmament and dry land are, and you will see the creation unfold in your mind like a movie. Keep special watch for when "water" enters the picture... namely before anything was created. :)

One other thing I notice about the creation, that bears witness to me of the reality of the creation and that Jesus Christ was the Creator, is the similarity found here:

Genesis 1:

3 And God said...

6 And God said...

9 And God said...

11 And God said...

14 And God said...

20 And God said...

24 And God said...

26 And God said...

29 And God said...

Compared to:

Mark 4:

39 And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm.

40 And he said unto them, Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith?

41 And they feared exceedingly, and said one to another, What manner of man is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?

Well, we KNOW what manner of "man" He was. He speaks and matter obeys. He showed it during the creation, and when He was alive on the earth.

The great question is, "When He speaks do we obey?"

Guest tomk

When He speaks, sadly, we often do NOT obey. :(

But when we do, we experiences the same effects as all obedient intelligences experience when they obey. Unity. Oneness. Growth. Fruit.

I think he wanted us to reach the conclusion that the mother is what controls the nature.

Adam had to be born of an immortal mother because, well, there were no mortal mothers here and he had to choose for himself.

Christ had to born of an mortal mother so He would inherit those characteristics that would cause Him to shed His blood.

I think, regardless of the father, whether or not the child has blood is the condition of the mother.

Very much like "mother earth" and planting any seed within.

Guest tomk

I think he wanted us to reach the conclusion that the mother is what controls the nature.

Adam had to be born of an immortal mother because, well, there were no mortal mothers here and he had to choose for himself.

Christ had to born of an mortal mother so He would inherit those characteristics that would cause Him to shed His blood.

I think, regardless of the father, whether or not the child has blood is the condition of the mother.

Very much like "mother earth" and planting any seed within.

That part I bolded above --- I had not considered that.

If you are given permission, PM me about why this is, if you like.

Not all things are utterable. Ask the Lord if you can share your finding with me, please.

thanks Justice.

Tom

Guest jlinn

All things were created spiritually before they were created physically. In the spiritual creation it was man who was created first. Then, in the physical creation it was man who was created last.

1 Corinthians 15:42....If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body. 45So it is written: "The first man Adam became a living being"[e]; the last Adam, a life-giving spirit. 46The spiritual did not come first, but the natural, and after that the spiritual. 47The first man was of the dust of the earth, the second man from heaven.

Yes, 1 Corinthians leads us to yet another idea of order. 1 Corinthians is not necessarily speaking of the creation that took place in Genesis.

You see, Christ was first in the beginning as a spirit, then be became mortal with a living, breathing body, but still had His spirit. Then, He shed His blood and became quickened by spirit again.

We are much the same. We are born first here mortal. We have to go through a rebirth, or change of heart, of which baptism is only a symbol, in order to become a child of God. We are told through modern revelation that we, too, were alive in a pre-mortal state before we were born here.

1 Corinthians is speaking of being born here, then the change that we must go through in order to become a man who follows the spirit instead of the flesh.

I wasn't going to do this because it was a profound spiritual moment the day I was taught this, and I don't want to ruin it for any of you who may discover this in the future. But, I feel moved to post this anyway.

Genesis 2:

24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

25 And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.

Now, Adam had no knowledge of good or evil at this point, and no knowledge of procreation. In fact, I can show you scriptures where God used fruit to teach Adam about how procreation works. Think of the first plant life created...

Genesis 1:

11 And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.

12 And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

13 And the evening and the morning were the third day.

What kind of trees did God place in the garden to represent the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, and more importantly, the tree of life?

Hmmmm, the Tree of Life is a fruit tree with seed within itself that bears fruit after it's kind. I can promise you that a course of study along this line will lead you to amazing places, taking you to the sacrament and eating flesh. Is not Christ the "firstfruits" of those that rose from the earth? Is He not the Word of God made flesh? Aren't seeds used to portray the word of God in several stories and parables? Are we not supposed to feast on the word of God?

I know this seems off topic, but trust me, it isn't. We were taken from the "dust of the earth," or mother earth. You break the surface and place a seed inside. If you tend to the planted seed then a remarkable thing happens. It brings forth a tree of it's kind with more fruit with seeds of it's kind. It doesn't matter what kind of seed you plant in the earth, it will yield it's own kind once planted. I know that seems insignificant, because it seems so elementary to us. But, it's pretty amazing as a teaching tool if you think about it. God was teaching Adam that he was seed after His kind.

Adam was speaking about his Heavenly Father and Heavenly Mother in Genesis 2: 24. He knew he and Eve would have seed at some point, because he was commanded to multiply and replenish the earth.

and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth

If you gain nothing else from this discussion, you can at least take God's word for what a fruit is, then you will know of a surety that a tomato is a fruit. :)

Finally, look at what Eve said very closely:

Moses 5:

11 And Eve, his wife, heard all these things and was glad, saying: Were it not for our transgression we never should have had seed, and never should have known good and evil, and the joy of our redemption, and the eternal life which God giveth unto all the obedient.

Seed=fruit to eat to live mortally (which also led to making a choice)

Seed=children which brings the greatest happiness

Seed=word of God to inherit eternal life

Christ literally is the Bread of Life, or the Flesh of Life.

What really happened to Him in Gethsemane and on Golgotha (shedding His blood) is really the cause for all eternal life. He shed His blood, not like you and I, but shed it completely. Just as Adam fell from immortality to mortality, Christ shed His blood and changed His mortal body to an immortal one.

It's all about life and seeds and procreation. I just hit the very few highlights, maybe you can fill in the blanks while reading and studying the scriptures.

What about the rib? :D

Hemi:

No apology is sought in this matter at all.

My exploration of these things is FAITH FILLED.

I love the Lord. If I am wrong about my "theory" -- He will instruct me.

I can quite easily live my life without ever having the Creation Account answered to my full satisfaction, if such ends up being the case.

My rock, my rod and my staff, is the Living Christ. Faith, Repentance, Baptism, the Gift of the Holy Ghost. That is enough for me, from moment to moment, dear brother.

Love,

Tom

This is why I had to apologize. The Lord doesn’t expect us to learn it one day, one month or perhaps, half a life time. Rushing it doesn’t allow one to receive the full enlightenment.

Guest tomk

This is why I had to apologize. The Lord doesn’t expect us to learn it one day, one month or perhaps, half a life time. Rushing it doesn’t allow one to receive the full enlightenment.

Concur.

I needed to hear this.

Yes, God is "in control"

He wasn't sitting up there in heaven scratching his head wondering "NOW WHAT DO I DO? I GUESS THEY'LL HAVE TO INBREED."

I am not suggesting such was the case.

So this was all planned for in advance. Got it.

The simplest explanation in my mind is -- Adam and Eve were a "TYPE".

Meaning -- There were MULTIPLE ADAMS and MULTIPLE EVES created "IN THE BEGINNING" but only ONE of those couples is "SHOWCASED" in the scriptures -- used as a way to teach us how we are EACH ADAM AND EVE RESPECTIVELY. Temple rites shed great light on some things in this regard.

Moses 1: 34 And the first man of all men have I called Adam, which is many.

Moses 4: 26 And Adam called his wife’s name Eve, because she was the mother of all living; for thus have I, the Lord God, called the first of all women, which are many.

Why the distinction here?

called the first of all women, which are many.

This is not saying Eve was the mother of all women which followed, per se, but rather could it be saying "Eve was the FIRST of many Eves that followed..."

Either you see it or you don't.

Just trying to comprehend it. :)

I want to say I appreciate the answers already given so far.

I can live with "there is no official answer." :) :)

I just wanted to throw in that that was one of the most unique answers I have ever seen! Seriously, I'm suprised I have never heard of that. Very cool idea!

What about the rib? :D

President Spencer W. Kimball taught: “ ‘And I, God, created man in mine own image, in the image of mine Only Begotten created I him; male and female created I them.’ [The story of the rib, of course, is figurative.]” The Blessings and Responsibilities of Womanhood,” Ensign, Mar. 1976, 71.

Also, as for Moses 1:34, you need to read the verse b/f and after it as well:

33 And aworlds without number have I bcreated; and I also created them for mine own purpose; and by the cSon I dcreated them, which is mine eOnly Begotten.

34 And the afirst man of all men have I called bAdam, which is cmany.

35 But only an account of this earth, and the inhabitants thereof, give I unto you. For behold, there are many worlds that have passed away by the word of my power. And there are many that now stand, and innumerable are they unto man; but all things are numbered unto me, for they are mine and I aknow them.

The first man on each earth is Adam, which is many, because there are many worlds, and the first man on each is named "Adam."

Moses 4:26 goes along with the same. There are many "eve's" b/c such is the wife of all "adams" as the first parents on all worlds. while our account is only of this earth, it seems reasonable to assume that the same plan we read about here is what happened on other worlds as well.

If there were many adams, then everything the prophets have said concerning Adam, his position as the father of humanity, the steward over the earth, the ancient of days who will come again in Jackson, and to whom all prophets of all dispensations will give an account, and then he, Adam, the man from whom all mankind stemmed, will give an accounting of this earth up to our lord and savior. There is an order, and he is the patriarch.

Here is the Bible dictionary under "Adam":

The name Adam is given to the first man of the human family on this earth as cited in the account of the creation in the books of Genesis, Moses, and Abraham, and in many instances in the New Testament, Book of Mormon, and Doctrine and Covenants. From these scriptures we learn that Adam is the father and patriarch of the human race on the earth. The aggregate of the scriptures certifies that his transgression in the garden of Eden, although designated as a “fall,” was necessary to the advancement and spiritual progress of humanity on this earth, and Adam rightly should be honored, not denigrated. Adam is the Ancient of Days and is also known as Michael. He is the archangel and will come again to the earth in power and glory as the patriarch of the human family, preparatory to the second coming of Jesus Christ (Dan. 7: 9-14; D&C 116; HC 3: 385-387; HC 4: 207-8).

There are many teachings concerning one man and one woman, Adam and Eve, from whom all mankind stem. But I've never read anything that contrasts to your idea as applied to animals, ie many animals of the same kind being on the earth in the creation prior to the fall. My personal opinion: one Adam though.

I have no discourse with President Young, Apostle Parly P. Pratt, or President Spencer W. Kimball, but you failed to answer the question. The rib story has a purpose as Elder B.H. Roberts spoke of - hidden key to procreation. It is not the seed that is the hidden meaning of creation but the rib itself.

The prophet Joseph Smith never in his discourses said, this was figurative and if it was, he would noted this before President Young spoke on the same subject in his tenure as a prophet. The difference between him and the other three individuals, he was called as a Seer. Joseph only agreed upon on what Abraham and Moses written.

Now, what was the difference between this Seer and those that have the key? He was translating Abraham's account, as well as Moses in receiving revelation and may had looked into the past.

In other thread, I did used this type of mathematical term, in aiding those to understand on what two gender beings, male and female, what type of offspring be born or created:.

IMMORTAL BODY + IMMORTAL BODY =

SPIRT BODY + SPIRIT BODY =

MORTAL BODY + MORTAL BODY =

IMMORTAL BODY + MORTAL BODY =

:D

I have no discourse with President Young, Apostle Parly P. Pratt, or President Spencer W. Kimball, but you failed to answer the question. The rib story has a purpose as Apostle B.H. Roberts spoke of - hidden key to procreation. It is not the seed that is the hidden meaning of creation but the rib itself.

The prophet Joseph Smith never in his discourses said, this was figurative and if it was, he would noted this before President Young spoke on the same subject in his tenure as a prophet. The difference between him and the other three individuals, he was called as a Seer. Joseph only agreed upon on what Abraham and Moses written.

Now, what was the difference between this Seer and those that have the key? He was translating Abraham's account, as well as Moses in receiving revelation and may had looked into the past.

Last time I looked, Brigham Young, Spencer Kimball and Parley P Pratt were also Seers. Elder Bruce R. McConkie, another Seer, has also written that the rib was figurative and not actual. The symbolism is that we have fallen and with the fall been separated from one another and from God. It is our goal to become one again, even though our physical bodies may be separate.

Here are a few quotes on the subject.

One more thing, Elder B.H. Roberts was not an apostle. He was a president of the 70.

I have no discourse with President Young, Apostle Parly P. Pratt, or President Spencer W. Kimball, but you failed to answer the question. The rib story has a purpose as Apostle B.H. Roberts spoke of - hidden key to procreation. It is not the seed that is the hidden meaning of creation but the rib itself.

I don't know what "theory" you're trying to push in order to make your preconcieved notions true, but we have 15 prophet, seers, and revelators who declare truth. You seem to be placing more faith in what Joseph didn't mention, rather than what the more current brethren have clearly declared. If you read "the origin of man," I bet whatever your theory concerning the rib will conflict with it, and D&C 107:27,29 declare that unified quorum statements are to be considered of the same authority as the cannon.

The rib is figurative. Thus without Eve, Adam could not be made whole. They needed to be "sealed" in order for Man, male and female, to be made whole. The perfect wholeness of God's plan cannot be realized without men and women sealed together in the temple. That is what is being taught. To think that the "rib" is anything other than figurative would cause us to consider bizarre and false theories concerning the creation of mankind (and IMHO, that is why the brethren have been so clear that the rib is figurative). Not many things in the scirptures have been declared as figurative, so when something is declared such, I would think it is because it is important, if not essential, to our understanding of higher light and knowledge. Anyway, hopefully my opinion on the matter should be clear. You can believe whatever you want, but you shouldn't selectively pick and choose certain prophets. As Brigham Young said (summarized): I'd rather have a living prophet over any and all other scriptures and writings of the dead ones.

Guest tomk

I just wanted to throw in that that was one of the most unique answers I have ever seen! Seriously, I'm suprised I have never heard of that. Very cool idea!

I am glad you found my thoughts to be of some interest.

I think that on a few doctrinal points we are so concerned with what we think we are SUPPOSED to believe or say to others or understand -- that we are not even willing to look at the LOGICAL answers that make the most sense at times.

Having only ONE pair of Adam and Eve, and having their children inbreed does not make LOGICAL sense to me. We have the same genetics that they did. And the same consequences from inbreeding. Brothers do not marry sisters TODAY. Nor do I think they did back then, either.

Could the solution have been inbreeding? Certainly. The power of God could have protected them from the consequences until there was a large enough genetic base to allow a more "natural" method of mate selection and reproduction, afterwhich inbreeding became taboo.

Never would I dismiss or discount the power of God.

But I cannot escape, in my mind, that there was a much simpler explanation for ALL of IT.

1) Together, Heavenly Father and Mother created multiple sets of "Adam and Eve". There is no need for mystery here, or for creating Adam from the "dust" of the earth, or Eve from his rib. Hogwash. Adam and Eve, each set, were created by Heavenly Father and Mother in the same manner that parents create their children today.

2) With multiple sets of "Adam and Eves" they could have children, and their children could marry the chidren of OTHER "Adam and Eve" contemporary couples, and there would be no genetic problems.

3) The Adam and Eve we know from the creation accounts are THE Adam and Eve pair God used as an example, as a TYPE, so we could learn about the plan of salvation.

1, 2 and 3 above are SPECULATION I know. I am not representing it as the official doctrine of the LDS Faith -- just my thoughts on the matter.

For an official account of our beliefs, go to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Thanks everyone,

Tom