Called to serve - as a CYBER Missionary?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a recent "newbie" to the online blogging of fellow church members, I say be careful what you ask for. There are MANY members of the church without a sound testimony, and some of these discussion boards bring up many questions and problems to members. Its a little disappointing when having been in the church my whole life (over 30 years) I can go online and learn things I had no idea about. The recent posting of the handbook of instructions (i had no idea male sterilization was against policy), or postings about the Spaulding papers. In my opinion, its opening up a huge can of worms.

The 'worms' were released a long time ago.

In my opinion the sage scriptural advice to not cast one's pearls before swine does not apply in the cyber world. The pearls are already cast, all over the Internet!

There's little that happens even inside our temples that cannot be found on the Net. I think it's time for LDS Cyber Missionaries to boldly, respectfully, and accurately comment on everything except those things we learn in the temple that we are told not to speak of. I think it's a time for the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth to be out. That way people can decide for themselves where they fit in, make valid choices, and take eternal consequences justly mete.

Those who don't yet have an unshakeable testimony of the truths of the Gospel of Jesus Christ as taught by His Church urgently need to do some serious fasting and praying to get that, or they're going to be left behind as our world moves towards a separation of the righteous from the wicked.

It may not be long before we start to see mighty miracles wrought that could deceive and lead astray even the very elect. We MUST have our own burning unshakeable personal testimony that God lives and Jesus is the Christ and that they speak to God's Anointed on earth in our time!

And we MUST follow those Anointed Ones, the Senior Brethren of the LDS Church, as they guide and lead us into battles this world has never before seen. I think we are on the eve of or even in the frantic final days before our Savior's glorious Second Coming.

It's OUR watch, brothers and sisters, Cyber Missionaries may lead the charge...

That's how I see it.

My "mission field" on the Internet is primarily Youtube. :) So I'm excited to see this article:

Meridian Magazine :: Arts: New Film on Extending the Priesthood to Worthy Men of Every Race

If the Church ever does start officially calling "Cyber Missionaries" or at least leaders and organizers of unofficial Cyber Missionaries, there won't be any problem finding people who have already by the Spirit found where they fit in best. It seems that "mission fields" are already spontaneously growing out of Elder Ballard's 'call'. Must be a good seed...

Maybe a whole lot of us have been kind of 'sleeping' already prepared but waiting to be awakened by the Brethren??

Do you have any comments on that notion?

A great place to participate in a non-LDS environment is the Washington Post faith blogs. Check some of these out and add/reply to comments. You'll notice quite a few LDS.net members already participating:

Michael Otterson: On Faith at washingtonpost.com

Kathleen Flake: On Faith at washingtonpost.com

Richard Bushman: On Faith at washingtonpost.com

A great place to participate in a non-LDS environment is the Washington Post faith blogs. Check some of these out and add/reply to comments. You'll notice quite a few LDS.net members already participating:

Michael Otterson: On Faith at washingtonpost.com

Kathleen Flake: On Faith at washingtonpost.com

Richard Bushman: On Faith at washingtonpost.com

That's exactly the kind of information that is helpful in organizing the Cyber Missionary focus and effort. I put your links on my 'to do' list.

Unfortunately you are at a disadvantage, since I am not in a controlled environment starring at a couple of 19 year old Elders. I am free to roam libraries and get all the information I need to make an educated decision.

If all investigators did this, the Church would have to rely on membership births to continue the growth of the Church.

I am shocked by the final statement of your post.

Very rarely will I quote a comment that I am in disagreement with, as I try not to be confrontational.

However, based on how you, yourself, respond back to others, I do not feel that you will be offended or hurt by my doing so to you.

I am not a "born into" member. I spent 24 years of my life as an agnostic. I was exposed to MANY religions, concepts, and ideas.

I DID investigate this Church. I CHOSE to be baptized. Nor am I the only convert.

Also, you do realize that just because somebody is born into the Church, that does not mean that they have been converted. Even "born into" members need to reach the moment of conversion where they have a testimony for themselves, not merely by what they had been taught as a child.

Not only did your final comment come off as rude and false, but to state that you are in a position to make an "educated" decision, does that mean LDS members who are converts are uneducated?

You did not just type the word, but you italicized it as well. Why?

What has happened to make you so aggressive towards the Church and it's members?

I do not call those who choose to be Catholics, Buddhists, etc. uneducated because of their decision.

It seems to me, that it would be hard to even find and know truth, if I had so much negativity and angst in my heart and mind.

Just a thought.

I am shocked by the final statement of your post.

Very rarely will I quote a comment that I am in disagreement with, as I try not to be confrontational.

However, based on how you, yourself, respond back to others, I do not feel that you will be offended or hurt by my doing so to you.

I am not a "born into" member. I spent 24 years of my life as an agnostic. I was exposed to MANY religions, concepts, and ideas.

I DID investigate this Church. I CHOSE to be baptized. Nor am I the only convert.

Also, you do realize that just because somebody is born into the Church, that does not mean that they have been converted. Even "born into" members need to reach the moment of conversion where they have a testimony for themselves, not merely by what they had been taught as a child.

Not only did your final comment come off as rude and false, but to state that you are in a position to make an "educated" decision, does that mean LDS members who are converts are uneducated?

You did not just type the word, but you italicized it as well. Why?

What has happened to make you so aggressive towards the Church and it's members?

I do not call those who choose to be Catholics, Buddhists, etc. uneducated because of their decision.

It seems to me, that it would be hard to even find and know truth, if I had so much negativity and angst in my heart and mind.

Just a thought.

I think AlexanderX was warned several times, persisted in breaking the rules, and was banned. So you're not likely to get a response from him.

I am all about missionary work, and that is the primary reason I participate on these forums. However, I would caution about taking it upon ourselves to preach the gospel in an official capacity, or to come off as official representatives or missionaries of the Church. Our role in missionary work is to prepare and encourage people to be taught by the full-time missionaries of the Church. They are the ones called and set apart to teach the gospel, and the keys of teaching and baptizing converts belong to the juristiction of the mission president of a given geographical area.

Our fifth article of faith is more than just about the way priesthood is transmitted. It is also about the authority to preach the gospel.

We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof. (AoF 5)

Women also are called to preach the gospel as sister missionaries, but of course they do not hold the priesthood and cannot perform the ordinances. But they have been "...called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the gospel..." Full-time missionaries have truly set themselves apart from the world, and live a higher standard so that they can more fully enjoy the companionship of the Spirit. Their only focus is missionary work, and that's all they do. Yes, they are weak and simple, but they are the Lord's chosen, and even Seventies and other Church leaders defer the teaching of their friends to the full-time missionaries. That's their job, to teach and to baptize converts into the Church. :-)

I think it's noble and most important for us to preach the gospel, and share the light with everyone that we can. We just need to be careful to follow the proper channels of priesthood authority, and to do things in the order that God has given to us. I'm not necessarily saying this to anyone specifically, but just as an observation and a caution from my understanding and perspective. I think Satan lays waiting for an opportunity to turn our zeal into pride and to bring us down.

Sincerely,

Vanhin

I am all about missionary work, and that is the primary reason I participate on these forums. However, I would caution about taking it upon ourselves to preach the gospel in an official capacity, or to come off as official representatives or missionaries of the Church. Our role in missionary work is to prepare and encourage people to be taught by the full-time missionaries of the Church. They are the ones called and set apart to teach the gospel, and the keys of teaching and baptizing converts belong to the juristiction of the mission president of a given geographical area.

Our fifth article of faith is more than just about the way priesthood is transmitted. It is also about the authority to preach the gospel.

We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof. (AoF 5)

Women also are called to preach the gospel as sister missionaries, but of course they do not hold the priesthood and cannot perform the ordinances. But they have been "...called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the gospel..." Full-time missionaries have truly set themselves apart from the world, and live a higher standard so that they can more fully enjoy the companionship of the Spirit. Their only focus is missionary work, and that's all they do. Yes, they are weak and simple, but they are the Lord's chosen, and even Seventies and other Church leaders defer the teaching of their friends to the full-time missionaries. That's their job, to teach and to baptize converts into the Church. :-)

I think it's noble and most important for us to preach the gospel, and share the light with everyone that we can. We just need to be careful to follow the proper channels of priesthood authority, and to do things in the order that God has given to us. I'm not necessarily saying this to anyone specifically, but just as an observation and a caution from my understanding and perspective. I think Satan lays waiting for an opportunity to turn our zeal into pride and to bring us down.

Sincerely,

Vanhin

I think most active Latter-day Saints appreciate the full-time missionaries and acknowledge their official call and setting apart.

Many of us who are often online also see the great opportunities for missionary work in this new medium and are heeding Elder Ballard's recent requests that we join in religious discussions where there are non-members participating.

The purpose of doing what we do is to help correct the many misunderstandings that are all over the internet about our beliefs. By doing that we are teaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Which is, of course, MISSIONARY work.

Missionary work is the responsibility of EVERY active Latter-day Saint, officially called and set apart or not.

Edited by justamere10

I think most active Latter-day Saints appreciate the full-time missionaries and acknowledge their official call and setting apart.

Many of us who are often online also see the great opportunities for missionary work in this new medium and are heeding Elder Ballard's recent requests that we join in religious discussions where there are non-members participating.

The purpose of doing what we do is to help correct the many misunderstandings that are all over the internet about our beliefs. By doing that we are teaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Which is, of course, MISSIONARY work.

Missionary work is the responsibility of EVERY active Latter-day Saint, officially called and set apart or not.

Every member a missionary.

Every member online a CYBER missionary...

No doubt.

I think maybe you are confusing my point and replying to something I did not say. So, as a point of clarification for the readers of these forums, I am not discouraging members from doing missionary work. On the contrary, I acknowledge it as "noble and most important" for us do, and that I myself am here at this time for that purpose. Since I'm not cautioning members about doing member missionary work, I will not respond to the subject of your post other than this clarification.

I think my original post stands on it's own, so I will just leave it at that. :) Not to seem too redundant, here is my point in a nutshell:

"I am all about missionary work, and that is the primary reason I participate on these forums. However, I would caution about taking it upon ourselves to preach the gospel in an official capacity, or to come off as official representatives or missionaries of the Church. Our role in missionary work is to prepare and encourage people to be taught by the full-time missionaries of the Church. They are the ones called and set apart to teach the gospel, and the keys of teaching and baptizing converts belong to the juristiction of the mission president of a given geographical area." (http://www.lds.net/forums/lds-gospel-discussion/11951-called-serve-cyber-missionary-4.html#post215332)

Regards,

Vanhin

No doubt.

I think maybe you are confusing my point and replying to something I did not say. So, as a point of clarification for the readers of these forums, I am not discouraging members from doing missionary work. On the contrary, I acknowledge it as "noble and most important" for us do, and that I myself am here at this time for that purpose. Since I'm not cautioning members about doing member missionary work, I will not respond to the subject of your post other than this clarification.

I think my original post stands on it's own, so I will just leave it at that. :) Not to seem too redundant, here is my point in a nutshell:

"I am all about missionary work, and that is the primary reason I participate on these forums. However, I would caution about taking it upon ourselves to preach the gospel in an official capacity, or to come off as official representatives or missionaries of the Church. Our role in missionary work is to prepare and encourage people to be taught by the full-time missionaries of the Church. They are the ones called and set apart to teach the gospel, and the keys of teaching and baptizing converts belong to the juristiction of the mission president of a given geographical area." (http://www.lds.net/forums/lds-gospel-discussion/11951-called-serve-cyber-missionary-4.html#post215332)

Regards,

Vanhin

I understand your point and I'm not trying to put you down at all. Your comments are primarily about missionary work in the physical world, mine are about missionary work in the virtual world. So far at least, as far as I know, there are no official callings to do virtual missionary work other than the responsibility each member has with or without the badge, and Elder Ballard's encouragement.

Personally, I think our role as unofficial LDS Cyber Missionaries is to prepare and encourage people to be taught by the Spirit on the official LDS websites such as Mormon.org. Once we have moved people to those websites, I think we have done our 'job' pretty well.

One good way to do that is to start an "Ask a Mormon" thread on appropriate non-LDS discussion boards. One such thread that I started about six weeks ago drew 3500 posts and about 40,000 views! That, in my opinion is effective missionary work...

Guest Xzain

I see that AlexanderX is gone. Should anyone else have questions about how the Internet will affect the Church- have no fear. Enemies of the Church have claimed every new piece of evidence and every new system of technology would be the downfall of the Church.

When the transcontinental railroad was built, critics of the Church predicted Brigham Young would lose his followers because they were being held against their will, and once safe means of escape were presented the members would leave in droves.

Needless to say, that never happened. I'm sure some had sufficiently hardened hearts that they did leave, but that was undoubtedly a blessing in the long run. In the final days, there will be great trials, some beginning from within the Church. One of those trials is easy access to false information, poisonous to a growing testimony. One way to weed a true Saint from a pretender is to see what information they look up, how often they peruse it, how they react to it, and how it affects their testimony.

By the way- justamere10's forum is very, very good (IMO)! I would suggest looking at it.

I understand your point and I'm not trying to put you down at all. Your comments are primarily about missionary work in the physical world, mine are about missionary work in the virtual world. So far at least, as far as I know, there are no official callings to do virtual missionary work other than the responsibility each member has with or without the badge, and Elder Ballard's encouragement.

Personally, I think our role as unofficial LDS Cyber Missionaries is to prepare and encourage people to be taught by the Spirit on the official LDS websites such as Mormon.org. Once we have moved people to those websites, I think we have done our 'job' pretty well.

One good way to do that is to start an "Ask a Mormon" thread on appropriate non-LDS discussion boards. One such thread that I started about six weeks ago drew 3500 posts and about 40,000 views! That, in my opinion is effective missionary work...

I hear you. I don't think there is a difference in missionary work whether it's done personally, by mail, by phone, by Internet, or by any other way. Dispite the fact that there is a great deal of anonymity our here, it's not really virtual. We are talking about actual people, who's spirits are actually the sons and daughters of God. So no special instruction are needed. The instructions we have received from the Lord through the leaders of the Church concerning member missionary work apply in all aspects of real life, including our correspondence by way of the Internet. I have never thought otherwise.

Our role in member missionary work is ultimately to help prepare and encourage people to be taught the gospel of Jesus Christ by his duly authorized missionaries. That's the purpose of member missionary work. I draw no distinction in the various methods and medias used in this work by sincere members. Elder Ballard's call to more member participation is not just about the Internet. It's the same thing the Church and the scriptures have been teaching us for years, "Behold, I sent you out to testify and warn the people, and it becometh every man who hath been warned to warn his neighbor." (D&C 88:81).

All I'm saying is what Elder Ballard said, "Remember that while you as an individual Latter-day Saint in some ways represent the Church, be careful not to represent yourself as speaking officially for the Church." (LDS Newsroom - Apostle Urges Students to Use New Media) Edit: Sorry, here's the right link -> Making Your Influence Felt

Anyway, I'm not telling you what to do. Feel free to call yourself an "LDS CYBER Missionary" if you want. I just think that we should be cautious not to present ourselves as official representives of the Church, when we are not really that. For us to be that we must be "...called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority..." and in that case, we would have the title of Elder (not just the office), or Sister.

Otherwise, we are standing ministers, and our primary responsibility is to preach the gospel and strengthen the members of the Church, find people for the missionaries to teach and fellowship converts and new members, and seek out our kindred dead and do their work in the temple. As standing ministers, our ministry is Home Teaching; where we go two and two and are organized just like the full-time missionaries, except we don't go abroad, and we teach and strengthen the Church members where we live. That is vital to the missionary program of the Church, and if we really want to be blessed with more convert baptisms, we should double our home teaching efforts, and encourage as many people as possible to hear the gospel as taught by the missionaries.

Those are just my thoughts on the matter. Take em or leave em. :)

Sincerely,

Vanhin

Edited by Vanhin

I hear you. I don't think there is a difference in missionary work whether it's done personally, by mail, by phone, by Internet, or by any other way. Dispite the fact that there is a great deal of anonymity our here, it's not really virtual. We are talking about actual people, who's spirits are actually the sons and daughters of God. So no special instruction are needed. The instructions we have received from the Lord through the leaders of the Church concerning member missionary work apply in all aspects of real life, including our correspondence by way of the Internet. I have never thought otherwise.

Our role in member missionary work is ultimately to help prepare and encourage people to be taught the gospel of Jesus Christ by his duly authorized missionaries. That's the purpose of member missionary work. I draw no distinction in the various methods and medias used in this work by sincere members. Elder Ballard's call to more member participation is not just about the Internet. It's the same thing the Church and the scriptures have been teaching us for years, "Behold, I sent you out to testify and warn the people, and it becometh every man who hath been warned to warn his neighbor." (D&C 88:81).

All I'm saying is what Elder Ballard said, "Remember that while you as an individual Latter-day Saint in some ways represent the Church, be careful not to represent yourself as speaking officially for the Church." (LDS Newsroom - Apostle Urges Students to Use New Media)

Anyway, I'm not telling you what to do. Feel free to call yourself an "LDS CYBER Missionary" if you want. I just think that we should be cautious not to present ourselves as official representives of the Church, when we are not really that. For us to be that we must be "...called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority..." and in that case, we would have the title of Elder (not just the office), or Sister.

Otherwise, we are standing ministers, and our primary responsibility is to preach the gospel and strengthen the members of the Church, find people for the missionaries to teach and fellowship converts and new members, and seek out our kindred dead and do their work in the temple. As standing ministers, our ministry is Home Teaching; where we go two and two and are organized just like the full-time missionaries, except we don't go abroad, and we teach and strengthen the Church members where we live. That is vital to the missionary program of the Church, and if we really want to be blessed with more convert baptisms, we should double our home teaching efforts, and encourage as many people as possible to hear the gospel as taught by the missionaries.

Those are just my thoughts on the matter. Take em or leave em. :)

Sincerely,

Vanhin

I should probably just "leave em" but I'm not comfortable with what appears to be somewhat condescending criticism coming from you, maybe that wasn't your intention.

I'm not saying that he did not say them, but I did not see those words you quoted as from Elder Ballard in the link you provided. It might be helpful if you pointed to that sentence more clearly where you say he said the words that you presented within quotation marks.

But whether Elder Ballard actually spoke those words or not, I agree that nobody except the General Authorities speak for the Church. I think that is a given that every active member understands. I always post on my websites dealing with the Church, including the Mormon Sites Discussion Board, a notice to the effect that it is not an official LDS website.

Personally I do not think that today is a time for "caution" as you seem to urge. I think it is a time for every Latter-day Saint who spends quite a bit of time on the Internet to boldly and respectfully declare the truth about our religious beliefs and practices at every opportunity.

In my mind there is nothing unclear about what Elder Ballard is asking us to do on the Internet, sometimes known as "cyberspace".

I should probably just "leave em" but I'm not comfortable with what appears to be somewhat condescending criticism coming from you, maybe that wasn't your intention.

I'm not saying that he did not say them, but I did not see those words you quoted as from Elder Ballard in the link you provided. It might be helpful if you pointed to that sentence more clearly where you say he said the words that you presented within quotation marks.

But whether Elder Ballard actually spoke those words or not, I agree that nobody except the General Authorities speak for the Church. I think that is a given that every active member understands. I always post on my websites dealing with the Church, including the Mormon Sites Discussion Board, a notice to the effect that it is not an official LDS website.

Personally I do not think that today is a time for "caution" as you seem to urge. I think it is a time for every Latter-day Saint who spends quite a bit of time on the Internet to boldly and respectfully declare the truth about our religious beliefs and practices at every opportunity.

In my mind there is nothing unclear about what Elder Ballard is asking us to do on the Internet, sometimes known as "cyberspace".

You are right. My apologies, I gave the wrong link. This is the link -> Making Your Influence Felt

That's cool. I would also point out that in addition to the General Authorities, full-time missionaries are official representatives for the Church.

Regards,

Vanhin

Edited by Vanhin

I do share the same caution. I personally would not use the title "Cyber-Missionary" in referring to myself, because when you go to mormon.org and click on "Chat with a missionary live," certain set-apart servants of the Lord are the true cyber-missionaries who answer questions. I prefer to take the approach that I am an individual member, representing myself only, and that there are some very good reasons why I believe the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is true.

Also, our duty as members online is not only to answer questions accurately with true doctrine, but to point those with questions to the official resources that can answer them. Link to LDS.org, Mormon.org, Joseph Smith - Home, default.htm, Provident Living Home, etc.

Essentially, we must speak up FOR the Church, but we must not speak AS the Church.

Edited by NateHowe
made links into links.

I thought your cybermissionary title was actually a new, but official, Church position. Also I have read a few of your posts, and thought you were officially representing the Church in an appointed position.

I find it very unnerving, but glad to discover this is not true. I also feel more sure of my initial reaction to your posts, which I'll discuss below. But I definitely believed you were posting as an official representative of the Church.

In fact, when I make a claim like this I always go back to verify my information. But this time I'm not going to. This is because I do not recall seeing a disclaimer on your posts that you are not an official missionary.

I was appalled at how at how condescending you were to one poster--Mike-UK, and almost wrote a post about it. But I decided not to because I assumed you were an appointed representative of the Church.

Despite his repeated posts that he was struggling with his testimony, you kept at Mike with inappropriate comments, accusing him of running out on people; suggesting he was depressed, which cause his unbelief; literally tell him what to do; and suggesting he had Lost Sheep Syndrome.

A number of times you indicated you didn’t want to offend, but then went on to do so.

You wrote:

I don't wish to offend you but I'm wondering if you could be in a state of depression yourself? . . . You should not be experiencing emptiness and "NOTHING", that's not normal. Have you checked with a physician, counselor, bishop?

You needn't answer this if it's a sensitive issue for you, I'm just curious if you have spent any amount of time reading or watching anti-Mormon media?

Why not try throwing yourself into Cyber Missionary work? You could do some good 'out there' each day for the rest of your life, however long or short it may be, and not be ashamed when you meet your Savior at the end of the day...

Now go out and do the right thing. (I couldn't believe you wrote that.) We need all the LDS Cyber Missionaries and Word Warriors we can get.

Now is not a time to turn and run and abandon your brothers and sisters . . . .

I'm sure you understand 'Lost Sheep Syndrome' but please don't take my musings too personally,

(all emphases are mine)

In my opinion, you weren’t listening to Mike at all; rather, you were using heavy recruiting tactics that do not reflect well on the Church.

By the way, I did go back and look at your post. You seriously need a disclaimer that you are not an official representative of the Church.

Elphaba

INeedless to say, that never happened. I'm sure some had sufficiently hardened hearts that they did leave, but that was undoubtedly a blessing in the long run.

I think it is so odd, and frankly hilarious, how there are still people who think something is going to bring the Church down.

I am no longer a member, but even I know that is not going to happen. Nor would I want it to, but that is not the point.

My entire family is made up of believers, and nothing could shake their testimonies, which I see as a good thing.

So the claim that "this" or "that" is going to bring the Church down is ignorant silliness. It was silly in the 1800s, and it is still silly 170+ years later.

Elphaba

.....By the way, I did go back and look at your post. You seriously need a disclaimer that you are not an official representative of the Church.

Elphaba

Hopefully you don't seriously think that everyone writing on this board needs to publish a disclaimer that they are not writing as an official representative of the Church.

You seem to have missed the following sentence from the opening post of this thread:

"Well, I've posted the story of how that hit me elsewhere but suffice it to say that although I haven't been officially called as an LDS Cyber Missionary, that's what I've been doing."

And perhaps you missed the question mark in the thread title.

But maybe I should take your comments as a compliment and thank you. I suppose if one's messages resemble those of the Brethren, one is not straying too far from the direction they, under the Lord's direction, are leading the Church in our time.

I note however your apparent opposition to the term "LDS Cyber Missionary" but it's not clear to me why. That seems to me to be an appropriate way to describe Latter-day Saints teaching Gospel truths in cyberspace. Especially when President McKay admonished EVERY member to be a missionary.

So which of those three words would you rule out?

Thanks for posting in this thread, feedback either positive or negative is always instructive, and sometimes helpful.

By the way, I am NOT an offiicial representative of the LDS Church at this time. :-)

I am just an ordinary individual member taking the initiative to do things online that I consider to be potentially efficient and effective towards helping clear up the mountain of misunderstandings about LDS religious beliefs and practices. Along the way I'll do what I can to encourage others to also follow the Holy Spirit, tithe a portion of their internet time to missionary work, and shine their own unique light in the darkness of cyberspace.

I understand that I am just one of hopefully tens of thousands of Saints who are, each in their own way, teaching Gospel truths on the Internet. If anyone cares to use the words "LDS Cyber Missionary" to describe to others what they are doing on the Internet, then I will conclude that I have contributed something positive to what is emerging from Elder Ballard's recent requests for help.

Enjoy the day.

I have to say, I do like the LDS Cyber Missionary logo however. It looks really nice.

Posted Image

Vanhin

Yes, it's very attractive. My thinking is that if Latter-day Saints have one of those lapel pins close to their monitor it might further encourage them to at least tithe a portion of their online time to missionary work. And it might be a reminder to LDS teens to stay worthy online and prepare for an offiicial mission, or even to engage in cyber missionary work themselves.

In my mind, being able to describe what you spend so much time on the internet doing (or at least a portion of it) as something like "LDS Cyber Missionary" work is helpful if it's true. The pins could be good gifts for any LDS who spends a lot of time on the net, and it promotes the furthering of Elder Ballard's unofficial 'call' for informed active members to engage in cyber missionary work.

The pins are available as a promotional item from the corporate sponsor of Mormon Sites which is hosting the "Ask a Mormon. LDS Cyber Missionary" discussion board:

SunSpring Internet Services