Are the FLDS a different kind of Mormon?

Moksha

I guess you could say that! When the LDS church stopped the practice of polygamy, the church branched out and another group formed known as the FLDS that continued the practice. There was also the RLDS that branched off as well and they have the same basics but different practices as well! So yeah, you could probably say FLDS is another type of Mormon.

I guess you could say that! When the LDS church stopped the practice of polygamy, the church branched out and another group formed known as the FLDS that continued the practice. There was also the RLDS that branched off as well and they have the same basics but different practices as well! So yeah, you could probably say FLDS is another type of Mormon.

Actually it was just "The Council" for along time. When Rulon Allred broke away he formed the Apostolic United Brethren and those that stayed with LeRoy Johnson incorporated under the United Effort Plan (something like that, I'm having a brain freeze) I think it was under Warren's father Rulon Jeff's that they came to call themselves the FLDS. My facts may be somewhat off, but it's along those lines.

As for the RLDS they would argue that you broke away from them. And they are not and never have been polygamists.

Edited by KosherXMorg
added to response

Actually it was just "The Council" for along time. When Rulon Allred broke away he formed the Apostolic United Brethren and those that stayed with LeRoy Johnson incorporated under the United Effort Plan (something like that, I'm having a brain freeze) I think it was under Warren's father Rulon Jeff's that they came to call themselves the FLDS. My facts may be somewhat off, but it's along those lines.

As for the RLDS they would argue that you broke away from them. And they are not and never have been polygamists.

The FLDS are often seen in the stores in St. George, Utah. By appearance in general they seem to be a happy people, similar to others surrounding them.

Apparently some of them from nearby Colorado City, AR work in St. George. When they arrive they change into 'civvies', let down their hair, then change back into their distinctive costume before heading home at the end of day.

They're quite an enterprising people, I think they even have a school of nursing in Colorado City. A lot of St. George residents go to their dairy to buy a huge variety of fresh cheeses and dairy products. My experience is that they seldom talk to outsiders except to conduct business, even ignoring you in their store until you're ready to buy; but some of them might be more open.

Guest Xzain

I think the situation is a bit more complicated than how we desire to be called Christians.

I stick with President Hinckley who said 'there's no such thing as a Mormon fundamentalist'. The emerging social trend is for the LDS church to embrace the term Mormon and purge it from those who practice what we strictly condemn. Others can certainly call themselves 'Mormon' because they believe the Book of Mormon- but I believe (and am thankful because) in time the term will come to define the LDS church and its people as it currently is.

I also think that, as the ambiguity around the term fades away, other peoples wanting to be called 'Mormon' may take different stances.

I have defended the LDS as being Christian before, by pointing out that they a merely a different kind of Christian. By the same token, are the FLDS merely a different kind of Mormon?

Yes - they are a different kind. Different in that they are not members of the Mormon Church, generally have never been Mormon, don't share Mormon values, beliefs and practices and practically nothing to do with the Mormon Church other than they hold SOME beliefs in common and some people choose to confuse the two.

I could be considered a woman because I once read a historical romance novel but that doesn't really make me female.

Yes - they are a different kind. Different in that they are not members of the Mormon Church, generally have never been Mormon, don't share Mormon values, beliefs and practices and practically nothing to do with the Mormon Church other than they hold SOME beliefs in common and some people choose to confuse the two.

I could be considered a woman because I once read a historical romance novel but that doesn't really make me female.

I think the term Mormons arose from people believing in the Book of Mormon. Do these other groups not believe in the Book of Mormon too?

I think the term Mormons arose from people believing in the Book of Mormon. Do these other groups not believe in the Book of Mormon too?

No, the term arose out of derision towards those who belonged to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and that still doesn't make fundamentalists Mormon.

• 2 weeks later...

I am RLDS now known as the Community of Christ church. We tend not to like being called Mormons because we are not members of the LDS Church. The name Mormon has come to be associated with the unique doctrine and history of the LDS Church after we split from them in 1844.

I myself don't mind my church being considered the Reorganized Mormon Church. We are a reorganization of the scattered remnants of the church that did not go to Utah with Brigham Young. As long as the person knows all the meanings associated with the word Mormon, and that some meanings belong exclusively to the LDS Church i don't mind sharing the term with LDS.

I never felt the word Christian belonged excusively to Evangelical Christians as they claim. I also don't accept the LDS Church claim to exclusive use of the title. Though under most circumstances i let them use it more than we do.

To me LDS and Community of Christ members share involvement in the same history associations, so i is untrue we are not any type Mormon at all. That is to me if we are a branch of early Mormonism, but only related to the larger LDS Church.

• 2 weeks later...