Pure Religion, and Undefiled

Snow

I went to a neat meeting tonight...

I work with a doctor who has become interested in charitable causes and making a difference in the world and had been looking for a way to funnel his energy, and some money, into something that produces tangible results - kind of a biggest bang for the buck type of thing. You can donate to the United Way but who knows what impact that really has.

Anyway, he became aware of a need in Cuenca Ecuador where there are a number of members that lack the ability to send their children to public school because they have insufficient income for fees, books, uniforms, etc. A medical doctor and member of the Church in Cuenca left her practice and works full time, without pay, to assist these children to an education. My doctor friend got together with 2 other families and together they sponser the effort, called EXAN, to put 150 children through school, provide nutritional services and social services and extra tutoring. About 50 of the children are active LDS, 50 inactive and 50 are non-members.

They are looking to strengthen the organization (where 100% of the donations are passed straight through to the children - zero administrative costs. Dr. Guerrero came up from Ecuador and talked to us - interested members of the Church - about the effort and how we can make a direct, and major, difference in the lives of those that need it the most.

In case you are wondering, this isn't a pitch for donations... just a commentary how wonderful people do wonderful things and when we serve our fellow man, we serve Christ.

It's exciting to see how grassroots efforts might grow into something even bigger.

James 1:27 A religion that is pure and stainless according to God the Father is this: to take care of orphans and widows who are suffering, and to keep oneself unstained by the world. (International Standard Version)

It is my opinion that you should not call anyone non-Christian that is more loving and kind than you (thinking you are a Christian destined for salvation).

It is the highest form of hyprocracy to condemn love and compassion greater than your own and to justify your own for the same reason. If Christians cannot be known for their love and compassion they have failed to honor and worship the G-d of love and compassion by by properly recognizing that G-d is the source of all love and compassion.

The Traveler

Even sinners do that though Traveler. That's not what it's all about. "If you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same." Luke 6:33

I am sorry and apologize to you and all others that did not understand my post. If someone that claims to be a Christian is not as loving and compassionate as someone that they claim is not a Christian, then I believe they deny that G-d of love and compassion. If you want to include or define – that love and compassion is defined by being loving and compassionate to your enemies I have not problem with that, in fact I agree. Jesus said that someone that loves and is compassionate only to those that love and are compassionate to them is not a believer in Christ or his love and compassion for all.

What a person does is more of a witness to me of the G-d they worship that what they say with their mouth. Likewise I believe many that claim to be Christians deny him with their actions. I also believe that if someone is not an example of what they teach they are a false teacher and they worship a false G-d. I think this relates to what Jesus means concerning that he will deny those that deny him.

I believe we accept Christ or deny him by what we do and I agree with you indication that it is not just what we do when such a thing is easy but what we do when it is otherwise impossible except that G-d is with us. Therefore if G-d is not helping a person do that what is good they would not and could not stand for such goodness without him. And this is the reason we cannot do good of ourselves – because when it becomes difficult enough we will quit. Therefore a person that does good in such a manner it is because they worship G-d.

The Traveler

I am sorry and apologize to you and all others that did not understand my post. If someone that claims to be a Christian is not as loving and compassionate as someone that they claim is not a Christian, then I believe they deny that G-d of love and compassion. If you want to include or define – that love and compassion is defined by being loving and compassionate to your enemies I have not problem with that, in fact I agree. Jesus said that someone that loves and is compassionate only to those that love and are compassionate to them is not a believer in Christ or his love and compassion for all.

No need to apologize. Your point was clear enough, but thanks for explaining.