Where does life on mars fit in?

DigitalShadow

Guest HEthePrimate

The first answer that comes to me is that God may create life for its own sake. Why would it have to be part of a "grander scheme?" I started thinking about these things when I was learning about biology and biodiversity, and thought that surely all these life forms are not strictly necessary for the benefit of mankind. In fact, we probably wouldn't even notice if some of them disappeared. Now, I don't use that as justification for killing of animals or plants to the point of extinction, but just the opposite. If the universe doesn't revolve around me, and those creatures are good in an of themselves, then it would be crazy to let them go extinct--surely God wouldn't approve of that, and maybe we could learn to appreciate those creature for what they are.

So if life does exist on Mars, it wouldn't make a bit of difference to my belief system. I would think it's waaaay cool, though!

I really like the idea of other worlds. When I was a kid I would just stare at the stars for hours and it never ceased to amaze me just how big God's paintbrush really is.

I have a spinoff irrelevant question/speculation... Is Christ the savior of all worlds? Or just this one?

I know it doesn't really matter...it's just one of those silly questions I've always had.

I believe that Jesus Christ is the savior and messiah of this Earth only. Moses 1: 35 I believe supports this assumption. In either case, whether Christ's atonement covers the native inhabitants of other worlds or not doesn't matter at all to the salvation of THIS world.

Yeah, and we're the only planet that would have people awful enough to kill their Savior. Thusly, the worst spirits are here, but in order to counteract them the best spirits are also here. That's what I've heard.

If you think that you or this planet hold any priveledged place in the universe, I invite you to take a second look at that picture I posted earlier. To think that we are of any special significance in the grand scheme of things is selfish vanity, in my mind. It would take great deal of self-absorption to think ones-self important enough to have been born on the one planet out of billions to have given birth to the Savior of all planets.

There was a member of these forums who speculated along those lines that you've suggested and I firmly believe that the scriptures, when taken in context, completely refute such a theory, and I also believe I demonstrated this thoroughly in that other forum thread where it was presented.

One question I have if your assertion were true - what would the scriptures on that other planet say concerning the coming of the Christ? "Behold, and the Redeemer shall be born of a virgin on a planet 10s of billions of lightyears away,"? If we assume the same level of technological development as the ancient Jews, such a statement would make absolutely no sense, even to the initiated. That also would beg the question "Why would OUR savior be born on THAT planet so far away?"

Then again, my Catholic roommate takes a rather trinitarian approach to the matter, suggesting that Christ may have been present and suffered the same or similar atoning sacrifice on all other worlds at the same time. Eh, personally, I think each inhabited world (created for the same purpose as this one) would have its own God and own Messiah. For those of you who think the "infinite" atonement would refute this, the Book of Mormon makes it clear that the atonement would necessarily be inifinite, even if it were only for one person.

:edit:

I just thought I'd append a few scriptural notes.

1 Nephi 11: 33

"And I, Nephi, saw that he was lifted up upon the cross and slain for the sins of the world." Emphasis added.

And you may note that the plural form "Worlds" does not appear in the Book of Mormon AT ALL:

Word Search: worlds

And in the Pearl of Great Price only twice (and that in no context at all related to the atonement):

Word Search: worlds

Even IF Christ atoned for the sins of other worlds, it is evident that, at least scripturally, we aren't meant to know it.

Edited by puf_the_majic_dragon

If you think that you or this planet hold any priveledged place in the universe, I invite you to take a second look at that picture I posted earlier. To think that we are of any special significance in the grand scheme of things is selfish vanity, in my mind. It would take great deal of self-absorption to think ones-self important enough to have been born on the one planet out of billions to have given birth to the Savior of all planets.

I wanted to say something to that effect, but I was afraid people might take it the wrong way. I find that many people think that we (humans on this planet) are somehow priveledged and important throughout the universe, but I wonder how much of that is wishful thinking to stroke their own ego, and how much is based on some kind of physical or spiritual evidence.

Why are you putting words in my mouth? I did not say, nor imply, such a thing. If Christ is the Savior of all worlds he had to have died on one of them. As it happens, it was ours. It doesn't make us "special". It makes us have more problems. Heck, sometimes I think life would be nicer to live on another planet because maybe their problems aren't so bad since the worst spirits aren't there.