Jogging Again

Over43

I spent my summer strength training and have "bloated" a bit. So, two weeks ago I started walk/jogging and then last week jogged and jumped rope. Last night I got a 1.9 mile jog in. Last time I did this with commitment I got my weight from 190 to 172 and my pulse down to 54 resting. We'll see how it turns out. So far I have had no lower back pain which is a good sign, usually that is what sidelines me.

Goals:

A) Get weight down to 170

B) be fit for ski season

C) possibly be able to finish the Jackson Hole Half Marathon in 11 months. If they still have it.

D) Look beter in my Magnum PI Hawaiian shirt. :D

O43

Well, I love that you are committing to get into shape. I am on the same path. It is more difficult than it used to be to shed the pounds and maintain strength, but I am loving the side effects. Wish I could say I didn't have the back pain, but I am working thru my pain issues. Thank goodness for massage therapy!!!

Anyway, congrats on your goals. And put me in your cheering section. Let us know how it is all shaping up. And then I might just make you post a pic of you in you better fitting magnum PI shirt. Do you have the baseball hat and mustache to match?????

You're jogging again? I'm sorry! :)

I ran cross country and track in high school. I've never been able to run since then without getting hyper competitive. That's why I'm the tub of lard I am today.

Two years ago I ran a 5k and toward the end I was catching up to a young lady who was bigger than me. I thought "There's no way I'm letting her finish before me!" So I started to ran faster, and would have caught her. But as she got closer to the finish line she had friends there who started cheering her on and waving towels )or something) and she was grinning and all happy. Then I realized it didn't matter if I finished before her so I slowed down and let her enjoy the moment.

J.

I just weighed myself this morning. Three/four weeks ago I was at 194. This morning I was 186. So, I am pleased. I have been jogging 2.5 to 3.5 regularly now per workout. When I started a 1/2 mile was brutal. Last night I got to 1.5 miles and had to stop because things got moving and I got the call of nature. I hate that, but it does seem to be a result of jogging at times.

Oh and I'm climbing the stairs at work now without sucking wind.

O43

Sounds like you are doing great. Keep up the good work. I know from personal experience that exercising is good for us. My mom was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 18 years ago. She began exercising and has been diligent in it. Now she does 1.5 hours of step aerobics with 1/2 hour weight training. Just a few months ago the doctor said she was showing signs of prediabetes instead of full diabetes :). So there is proof that exercising can reverse some physical ailments.

Got my first 12 mile week in last week jogging. Last evening (Thursday) I reached 11 for this week. I possibly have a 15 mile week in the works.

O43

You're making good progress! Keep it up. Have you thought about adding the bicycle to your fitness program? For a number of occasions you will find that you can replace the expensive gas guzzling car with a bike!:)

Good luck in reaching your goals!:)

I do think about the bike.

I "got" over 13 miles in this last week. This coming week I am looking at upping my mileage to 15 miles. I need to start keeping a log. I don't keep good records, with rounding numbers I think I short myself. I very well may have had a 15 mile week this last week.

Jon

I ride my bike as often as I can to and from work. I live roughly 9.5 miles from work... but I always round saying I'm doing 18 miles a day. So you aren't the only one that tends to short oneself, lol.

I just recently bought an odometer for my bike to try to keep better track of the miles I do per day and per week.

I got 4.33 miles in last evening in 60 minutes. OK, Sir Roger Bannister isn't impressed, but I shuffled pretty good and comfortable. So far this week I have 13.86 miles in. Will go for a round 15 tonight (for the week) and of course take Sunday off.

I am not losing weight per se right now, but the clothes are fitting better, and I am regularly doing isometric exercises for tonus and what strength they provide.

O43

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I got 46 miles in in the last 4 weeks. I have an Airdyne but need to get it in too have it tuned up. So, for days when I'm feeling a bit "beat" I'll get on that.

I started playing basketball at work last week with some mates from work. Took a shoulder to the ribs on the second day, so although I have been jogging still, I'm having a bit of a problem with my wind.

Jon

I have never understood the thing with basketball. So many injuries while playing on a smooth wooden floor. Most of the injuries come from other players and not the floor.

I love competition, don't get me wrong, raquetball, flag football, softball, things like that but not built for basketball or running. I do about 30-45 minutes a day on the elliptical trainer or bike in the gym. Have a road bike for good weather.

Ben Raines

I have never understood the thing with basketball. So many injuries while playing on a smooth wooden floor. Most of the injuries come from other players and not the floor.

I love competition, don't get me wrong, raquetball, flag football, softball, things like that but not built for basketball or running. I do about 30-45 minutes a day on the elliptical trainer or bike in the gym. Have a road bike for good weather.

Ben Raines

Before I left the house to go play I thought, "Is this such a good thing?" Less than 5 minutes into the game I'm clutching my side. Personally I much prefer racquetball, but I don't have anywhere to play at the moment.

Running isn't too hard on me. I take it slow, jog, and don't over do it. When I'm not getting pummeled by allergies I will go outside, but often I'm on the treadmill watching a Premier League game, or football.

Jon