Howdy...

ldsmissionary

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I served a full time mission for the LDS church.

So did I! *high fives*

It was fun to go overseas and learn a new language. In retrospect, I'm kinda glad I never baptized anyone. (Western European missions are HARD. Those wicked Europeans just don't want the Truth! Easier to baptize a bunch of Brazilians.)

So did I! *high fives*

It was fun to go overseas and learn a new language. In retrospect, I'm kinda glad I never baptized anyone. (Western European missions are HARD. Those wicked Europeans just don't want the Truth! Easier to baptize a bunch of Brazilians.)

Yikes, Western Europe really IS an incredibly hard place to sell Mormonism. Eastern Europe as well. They've all but pulled the plug on the missionary program in Russia.

The momentum has slowed down quite a bit overseas, but you're right, Latin America is ripe for the plucking.

Yikes, Western Europe really IS an incredibly hard place to sell Mormonism. Eastern Europe as well. They've all but pulled the plug on the missionary program in Russia.

The momentum has slowed down quite a bit overseas, but you're right, Latin America is ripe for the plucking.

I'd actually be happy to see more Latin American Catholics convert to Mormonism. At least the LDS church says that the use of birth control is a personal choice for a couple to be made prayerfully with God.

I'd actually be happy to see more Latin American Catholics convert to Mormonism. At least the LDS church says that the use of birth control is a personal choice for a couple to be made prayerfully with God.

That's certainly a good product feature of Mormonism, and one that has only recently been adopted within the LDS protocol. I'm content for folks to follow their hearts and to follow truth wherever it takes them.

Any message of hope is incredibly attractive to the impoverished Latin American countries. The evangelical missionary movement in these countries is also very impressive. In some ways, those products are much more feature rich than their Mormon competition, both emotionally and 'spiritually' as it were.

I really enjoyed the humanitarian efforts we were able to contribute while I was on my mission to Mexico. Sadly, it just wasn't anywhere near as effective as the humanitarian efforts made by other religions with the same agenda.

If I were in a position to help coordinate the missionary efforts in those countries, I would certainly shift the focus toward humanitarian service, education, and quality of life (e.g. clean water, agricultural efficiency, disease prevention, etc.)

That's certainly a good product feature of Mormonism, and one that has only recently been adopted within the LDS protocol. I'm content for folks to follow their hearts and to follow truth wherever it takes them.

Any message of hope is incredibly attractive to the impoverished Latin American countries. The evangelical missionary movement in these countries is also very impressive. In some ways, those products are much more feature rich than their Mormon competition, both emotionally and 'spiritually' as it were.

I really enjoyed the humanitarian efforts we were able to contribute while I was on my mission to Mexico. Sadly, it just wasn't anywhere near as effective as the humanitarian efforts made by other religions with the same agenda.

If I were in a position to help coordinate the missionary efforts in those countries, I would certainly shift the focus toward humanitarian service, education, and quality of life (e.g. clean water, agricultural efficiency, disease prevention, etc.)

Sometimes I think service and example are much better missionary tools in some places. Just my opinion of course.

I concur...

Wouldn't it be wonderful if there were an LDS "Peace Corps"? Volunteer an additional 2 years of your life just in the form of humanitarian service? Surely such a mission would be consistent with LDS doctrine and ideals? Have it be run by the Presiding Bishopric and the Relief Society. Instead of an MTC where they learn the discussions, they instead learn how to build solid, affordable housing, install wells, teach low-till or no-till farming techniques, install solar cookers (instead of burning wood fuel) and other such skills to improve the quality of life.

Such efforts would certainly help the LDS Church build street cred in those regions.

Kevin

I concur...

Wouldn't it be wonderful if there were an LDS "Peace Corps"? Volunteer an additional 2 years of your life just in the form of humanitarian service? Surely such a mission would be consistent with LDS doctrine and ideals? Have it be run by the Presiding Bishopric and the Relief Society. Instead of an MTC where they learn the discussions, they instead learn how to build solid, affordable housing, install wells, teach low-till or no-till farming techniques, install solar cookers (instead of burning wood fuel) and other such skills to improve the quality of life.

Such efforts would certainly help the LDS Church build street cred in those regions.

Kevin

Don't we already have humanitarian missions such as this?

A drop in the bucket by comparison.

If the LDS church had 50,000 volunteer humanitarian missionaries in the field, it would generate some real buzz (as well as a huge benefit to those in need).

Exactly. The LDS Church has monetary resources that rival every other humanitarian organization in existence, but those resources remain untapped.

Over the past 5 years, however, the LDS Church has slowly increased their efforts, but it's still a drop in the bucket compared to much smaller organizations.

P.S. I'm pretty sure my avatar has been banned from lds.net.

hey! me, too!

Though I suppose my name is still on the rolls of the Church. Can one be an ex-mormon if that is the case?

I've often considered getting myself excommunicated. I've done enough to warrant it.

But then, I'd feel I'd be wasting a lot of people's time and energy. The various Church leaders who's time I'd be taking spend enough time away from their families as it is. It wouldn't be very compassionate to put them through it.

Though I admit I've had day-dreams about making an accounting of my "sins" to a bunch of neck-tied men.

I'm going to say the obvious, just because it hasn't been said.

First WELCOME!

Second, I would agree with you that you SHOULDN'T go through this process.

The process you are describing is part of the process of repentance... and I can just tell by your posts, that you aren't repentant at this time.

That's okay! (Just not forever.) BUT, you do respect other people to not waste their time. I can only appreciate that.

Sometimes apathy is enough to just keep us where we are... until we feel compelled to move in A direction - either towards Christ or further away.

Again, welcome!

First WELCOME!

The process you are describing is part of the process of repentance... and I can just tell by your posts, that you aren't repentant at this time.

That's okay! (Just not forever.) BUT, you do respect other people to not waste their time. I can only appreciate that.

Sometimes apathy is enough to just keep us where we are... until we feel compelled to move in A direction - either towards Christ or further away.

Again, welcome!

Wow. :huh: I mean... wow.

First WELCOME!

Again, welcome!

Now, you see... though you may not see it, there's inherent judgment in your response. You're right that I shouldn't go through this process, but not because I'm unrepentant. The way I see it, I have nothing to repent for... at least none of the things that I'd be confessing, anyway. The spirit of Christ is in me, to the extent that I am aware of my real sins... when I have lacked compassion for others; when I have acted selfishly for my own gain at the expense of another; when I have looked down upon others, convinced of my righteousness.

None of the things that would get me excommunicated are sins, in my estimation. In fact, some of those things I have done I am quite proud of, because they have deepened my sense of compassion and connection with other human beings.

I guess you could say that my definition of sin is much different now than when I was active LDS. I worry less about sin these days... I have chosen to stop eating from the Tree of Good and Evil... Instead, I choose to eat from the Tree of Life, which is the Tree of Love. When a people learns to put the principles of Compassion and Empathic Connection before their pharisaical checklist of Righteousness... they will begin to see Zion coalesce.

And I have chosen to move toward Christ... though it is not the path you expect.

Kevin

Well, I'm one of those ones who wonders about hidden agendas -- do you have an agenda for being here. Oh moderators don't get upset with me and think I'm being contentious. I just hate beating around the bush about things. I'm like, 'say it now, and get it over with.'

If you have no agenda and just want to mess around -- that's cool -- I can deal with that.

And of course, it does sadden me that you are ex-Mormon.

Now, you see... though you may not see it, there's inherent judgment in your response. You're right that I shouldn't go through this process, but not because I'm unrepentant. The way I see it, I have nothing to repent for... at least none of the things that I'd be confessing, anyway. The spirit of Christ is in me, to the extent that I am aware of my real sins... when I have lacked compassion for others; when I have acted selfishly for my own gain at the expense of another; when I have looked down upon others, convinced of my righteousness.

None of the things that would get me excommunicated are sins, in my estimation. In fact, some of those things I have done I am quite proud of, because they have deepened my sense of compassion and connection with other human beings.

I guess you could say that my definition of sin is much different now than when I was active LDS. I worry less about sin these days... I have chosen to stop eating from the Tree of Good and Evil... Instead, I choose to eat from the Tree of Life, which is the Tree of Love. When a people learns to put the principles of Compassion and Empathic Connection before their pharisaical checklist of Righteousness... they will begin to see Zion coalesce.

And I have chosen to move toward Christ... though it is not the path you expect.

Kevin

Well, this IS an LDS site. Of COURSE there's a "judgement" in my post. I see it and I acknowledge it.

There's nothing wrong with "righteous judgements" as long as they are done in a tactful, agreeable, non-contentious way.

I validated your decisions through my (and probably other forum members) views. (No, I don't speak for the entire forum by ANY means.)

If you've found your path... wonderful!

But having daydreams (and telling us about it) about telling a disciplinary council about your "deeds" (whatever they are) isn't good no matter HOW you follow Christ. It's a spiritual opinion that I would hope that you share, not just a "Mormon" or "LDS" perspective.

It's kinda twisted. And I don't think it's good for the spiritual soul.

I think the purpose of this forum is to help everyone and anyone follow Christ and become closer to Him and our Father in Heaven. That includes our thoughts.

I don't think I'm coming off with a "holier than thou" attitude, but I'm sensing a smugness about you. You're coming here and there's a lot of posts and commotion since you began posting. I'm sure you're enjoying it. Is this a "judgement"? Maybe. Perhaps it's more of an observation.

I'm very good with my articulation, punctuation and spelling, so I hope you are sensing the right spirit and intention behind this post.

In case you forget, please read my signature.

Edited by skippy740

Well, this IS an LDS site. Of COURSE there's a "judgement" in my post. I see it and I acknowledge it.

There's nothing wrong with "righteous judgements" as long as they are done in a tactful, agreeable, non-contentious way.

I validated your decisions through my (and probably other forum members) views. (No, I don't speak for the entire forum by ANY means.)

But having daydreams (and telling us about it) about telling a disciplinary council about your "deeds" (whatever they are) isn't good no matter HOW you follow Christ. It's a spiritual opinion that I would hope that you share, not just a "Mormon" or "LDS" perspective.

I think the purpose of this forum is to help everyone and anyone follow Christ and become closer to Him and our Father in Heaven. That includes our thoughts.

I don't think I'm coming off with a "holier than thou" attitude, but I'm sensing a smugness about you. You're coming here and there's a lot of posts and commotion since you began posting. I'm sure you're enjoying it. Is this a "judgement"? Maybe. Perhaps it's more of an observation.

I'm very good with my articulation, punctuation and spelling, so I hope you are sensing the right spirit and intention behind this post.

Well, my daydreams are just that... daydreams from a part of me that is a bit mischievous. We all have a bit of that in us, don't we? A Trickster? A Coyote? I do know when to let my inner Coyote out, and when to keep it on a leash. Mythologically speaking, the Tricksters aren't there to be cruel, but to provide teaching opportunities. They stirred things up to help you learn a lesson. I let my Trickster out only when I perceive that there's some good to be achieved, and little risk involved.

I do apologize that I have apparently caused you some consternation, Skippy. You've been trying to be nice... I can plainly see that. And as far as "holier than thou"... no, I don't particularly think it's a particular fault of yours. I was merely trying to point out to you that your particular world-view of what is sin, and requiring of repentance, is perhaps only one of many ways of looking at things. If that idea didn't land on fertile ground with you, I'm okay with that.

One thing you'll learn about me, if you choose to get to know me, is that I'm less concerned about being right than I am about giving people new ideas to consider. The Book of Mormon talks about the law of opposition... that there's opposition in all things. Quantum theory, however, has taught me that there's more than "on" or "off". Sometimes, there's "on" AND "off" all at once. A "third way".

And yeah... I know I get kinda squirrelly that way.

So why would you come here and put up an inapropriate avatar???

You're a very welcoming soul, aren't you? :lol:

A cartoon character, Nazi Cartman from South Park, dressed as a missionary is hardly inappropriate.

Anyone who has ever served a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has had one "Nazi" companion, or knows someone who has had a "Nazi" companion (Nazi=overly strict with his behavior, going far and beyond the mission rules and crossing personal boundaries, at times requiring intervention by the Mission President).

Those who have served missions would probably better understand.

Thanks for your welcome, though.

You're a very welcoming soul, aren't you? :lol:

A cartoon character, Nazi Cartman from South Park, dressed as a missionary is hardly inappropriate.

Anyone who has ever served a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has had one "Nazi" companion, or knows someone who has had a "Nazi" companion (Nazi=overly strict with his behavior, going far and beyond the mission rules and crossing personal boundaries, at times requiring intervention by the Mission President).

Those who have served missions would probably better understand.

Thanks for your welcome, though.

(SNORT!)

Welcome. I was almost one of those Nazis. But I had a good heart.

I really like the South Park episode on Mormons, though at first I got a little huffy at how much they mocked us. Then I watched their 2 part episode (or was it 3?) on the Catholics, and then I thought they really did right by the Mormon Church. I guess it IS all relative... :lol:

HiJolly

I was really surprised by your first post in my welcome thread. I thought you'd get the message and decide to be nice.

You're coming across as a very rude individual. Seeing as how this is my welcome thread, I'd appreciate it if you'd be nice to the people in it.

Well, I'm one of those ones who wonders about hidden agendas -- do you have an agenda for being here. Oh moderators don't get upset with me and think I'm being contentious. I just hate beating around the bush about things. I'm like, 'say it now, and get it over with.'

If you have no agenda and just want to mess around -- that's cool -- I can deal with that.

And of course, it does sadden me that you are ex-Mormon.

Candyprpl, I like you already. :) I'm the same way.

To put your mind at ease, you could pray about it. Let the spirit guide, right?

Or I can just tell you that I'm super friendly. I come in peace. :P

And don't be sad, I'm following my heart and living my truth. I want that for EVERYBODY, including the LDS. Wherever our hearts take us.

We can all work together to make this world a better place.