Divorced/ Single

Yellowhill

When does Divorce become Single again.

Depends, from the civil perspective, when the papers are signed and entered into the court. Now if someone is sealed in the temple the only way to get rid of that is permission of the First Presidency. I know several divorced people who had been sealed in the temple and none of them, or their spouces, were ever able to get the sealings annuled. When a man finds another wife to get sealed to all he needs to speed things up is a letter from the ex-wife he is sealed to stating the divorce was not based on immorality or that she has no objections. If she does object then the man and his new fiance have to wait a short time for a review of the circumstances and then the sealing can take place.

Not sure what happens in the next life since he is now sealed to two women but it is my belief that there will be a great deal of re-assignments (to borrow a concept from the FLDS) in Heaven. I know a few married couples that probably cringe when reminded of being eternally married to the spouse they are sealed to. From what I have heard that will all be taken care of by God and as long as people are faithful to their covenants in this life they will be rewarded in the next life.

fiannan, those who are sealed and divorce will not be sealed in the hereafter, even if the sealing is never "broken". you didn't live the covenant therefore you don't get the promise. but anyway.

divorced will always be divorced, the days of single are past..... yes when it's final you start going to the ysa or sa again.

sorry this is an issue for me....

there are single mom's (never married or really are raising their children alone...no child support, no dad visiting, etc),

there are divorced mom's (they do get help from dad in the way of visits and child support, etc) that may not be married but are not raising a child alone.

same is true for dad's; there is a difference in the two.

Depends, from the civil perspective, when the papers are signed and entered into the court. Now if someone is sealed in the temple the only way to get rid of that is permission of the First Presidency. I know several divorced people who had been sealed in the temple and none of them, or their spouces, were ever able to get the sealings annuled. When a man finds another wife to get sealed to all he needs to speed things up is a letter from the ex-wife he is sealed to stating the divorce was not based on immorality or that she has no objections. If she does object then the man and his new fiance have to wait a short time for a review of the circumstances and then the sealing can take place.

Not sure what happens in the next life since he is now sealed to two women but it is my belief that there will be a great deal of re-assignments (to borrow a concept from the FLDS) in Heaven. I know a few married couples that probably cringe when reminded of being eternally married to the spouse they are sealed to. From what I have heard that will all be taken care of by God and as long as people are faithful to their covenants in this life they will be rewarded in the next life.

So your saying that if a young couple are sealed and some time during their marriage one or both parties decide....whoops big mistake, no way I want to be with this schlub for eternity, that they can seperate in Eternity and take a new eternal companion?

I thought that eternal progression would also include overcoming human faults and failings and looking beyong who we are today in recognition of who each of us can eventually become in eternity. I mean if some girls Prince Charming turns into a frog with a remote in his hand, etc....these thing can be overcome and are superficial.....just as other personality quirks that may only exist because of life experiences in this fallen sphere in which we all reside. How many men leave their wives because they do not look like they once did....never lost the baby weight, etc. I think we can all be blinded at times by this world.....but I like to believe that whatever struggles we may have with enduring to the end with our spouse will be made right in the eternal worlds.....not through Celestial divorce...but by attaining God like attributes......by having a more perfect love.

So your saying that if a young couple are sealed and some time during their marriage one or both parties decide....whoops big mistake, no way I want to be with this schlub for eternity, that they can seperate in Eternity and take a new eternal companion?

I thought that eternal progression would also include overcoming human faults and failings and looking beyong who we are today in recognition of who each of us can eventually become in eternity. I mean if some girls Prince Charming turns into a frog with a remote in his hand, etc....these thing can be overcome and are superficial.....just as other personality quirks that may only exist because of life experiences in this fallen sphere in which we all reside. How many men leave their wives because they do not look like they once did....never lost the baby weight, etc. I think we can all be blinded at times by this world.....but I like to believe that whatever struggles we may have with enduring to the end with our spouse will be made right in the eternal worlds.....not through Celestial divorce...but by attaining God like attributes......by having a more perfect love.

I would think that they could. There are couples who stay together only for the children or for image. Will these people be sealed in the next life? Hard to say. Also, there are many more couples where one partner is far less devout than the other and may fall into the lower kingdom category. I suppose in these cases there would be re-assignment just as many go this route in civil courts (in this life) today.

Nowadays many people have lost sight of what commitment really is. So marriage bonds are far less strong than they used to be. People have to work 100% to make marriage happy and fulfilling. You know, I read a book on near death experiences that said that people who had a dead spouse when they almost died were far more likely to be visited by the spouse than those who didn't. I do not believe near death experiences are caused by oxygen deprivation, synaptic peril or endorphins so perhaps this can tell us something about what is in store in the next life.

This is an issue for me, too. I was just adding more information to my profile when I got to the relatioship question. I'm divorced but I don't like to choose that option because I AM single, too. I also don't want to put single because I don't want to feel like I'm misleading anyone. Some people might have a problem with me being divorced so I'd rather just have it out there. Maybe there should be an option called "divorced and single"?