Pround of my kid

rastler00

You try to instill in your child (or children) certain values, but you often don't really know if they take hold until tested. My kid got a trial by fire today - literally.

Part one: We live against a canal. Above my neighbors house - which is close to our house - has a lot of brush. Well one of the dogs slipped his collar, he opened the gate and him and the other dog went for a run down the canal. My kid went and got them and noticed a guy smoking a cigarette.

Part two: This child is home schooled, and I sub teach, and was working, so she was home alone. She is a self directed kid doing way advanced work, with neighbors to go to, and has been directed as to what to do in situations. Plus she has at least one of our dogs (shepard/chow mix - the escape hound) that will protect her if needed. So this isn't an issue in general.

Part three: While working on algebra she smelled smoke, went outside and checked it out. Saw a small fire and went to grab a fire estinguisher (she knows how to use them). But the fire was too big so she takes a big breath, gets composed, and calls 911. This brush is about 50 feet from the houses.

Part four: She corals all of our pets into the part of the house farthest from the fire, wakes up the neibor from a nap, then gets a hose and starts watering down the flames. My neighbor gets out there, and then another adult shows up, and they take control, and send her to great the fire fighters. It all works out just fine.

Part five: I get a cryptic text about how the police need to talk to her about a fire that was started and she saw the guy on the canal. I text back saying tell them what you know and have them call me if they need too.

Part six: After a class period ended (I figured she was with the police so it was fine) I called and got the whole story. She even got a ride in the fire truck up to the school where she is part of the band and, "I got to honk the horn dad".

Conclusion: She did all the right stuff and handled herself in a crisis situation like a pro. Lovin that as she has gotten the "you need to compose yourself in situations or it could be life threatening" lecture from me many times. Needless to say I told her how proud I was.