Collider stirs debate

Dr T

An article on MSN today "Discoery or doom? Collider stirs debate by Alan Boyle has this quote in it

But if the feedback so far is any guide, the real headline-grabber is the claim that the world's most powerful particle-smasher could create microscopic black holes that some fear would gobble up the planet.

and it make me chuckle. Just imagine. :eek: or this :lol:?

I heard about that a while back when some idiot basically tried to sue them for making a 'doomsday machine'. As far as I know, there is no credible threat other than from people who take sci-fi way too seriously. Even if a microscopic black hole did occur, it would evaporate away just as quickly by releasing Hawking radiation.

The only debate is whether science should be held up every time someone with no training in the field fears the end of the world will occur.

yeah, the "microscopic black holes" made me laugh. Do they know how BIG the Earth is?

Well, the idea of a black hole is that it is so dense, that any matter that comes near enough to it (past the event horizon) will inevitably sucked in by the gravity and it will continue to grow. It is theorized though that black holes actually do lose mass though through Hawking radiation though so a microscopic black hole would simply evaporate before it could do any damage. It is also very very very unlikely that the collider would create any kind of black hole though, microscopic or otherwise.